New GF-5 SN Mobil conventional at Walmart today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart today and checked out some jugs. (LA isn't Wal-Mart-friendly and only a few of them are here. But there are a lot of Target stores.)

There were both conventional and full-synthetic Super Tech 5W-30 bottles in GF-5/SN/Resource Conserving grade available. I checked out the bottles as I said
wink.gif
and the stamp was a "G." It also had the same "Uxxx" code within the date code found in Pennzoil and Quaker State bottles (which also have the G stamp) and the date code had the exact same format overall. The Valvoline also had the G stamp but the date code had an entirely different format. And there was an high-mileage Super Tech bottle with the WPP stamp at the bottom.

So, my guess is that Super Tech GF-5/SN/Resource Conserving oils sold here are made by SOPUS (Shell). There is also a small chance that they're not by SOPUS but they are being filled in the same bottling plant used by SOPUS.

That's interesting. It probably is made by SOPUS, since I don't thing Mobil uses Graham Packaging (the "G" on the container). Ashland is another company that uses Graham, I've seen the G on Valvoline containers.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I was at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart today and checked out some jugs. (LA isn't Wal-Mart-friendly and only a few of them are here. But there are a lot of Target stores.)

There were both conventional and full-synthetic Super Tech 5W-30 bottles in GF-5/SN/Resource Conserving grade available. I checked out the bottles as I said
wink.gif
and the stamp was a "G." It also had the same "Uxxx" code within the date code found in Pennzoil and Quaker State bottles (which also have the G stamp) and the date code had the exact same format overall. The Valvoline also had the G stamp but the date code had an entirely different format. And there was an high-mileage Super Tech bottle with the WPP stamp at the bottom.

So, my guess is that Super Tech GF-5/SN/Resource Conserving oils sold here are made by SOPUS (Shell). There is also a small chance that they're not by SOPUS but they are being filled in the same bottling plant used by SOPUS.

Also, high-mileage oils are not GF-5, only SN.

Not true; Mobil Super HM is SN/GF-5 and has the starburst symbol.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
After reading, it's suppose to be a "lower" syn version vs M1.

We'll see if Mobil manages this two-tiered synthetic deal better than Pennzoil did...

The FAQ does say that 0W-20 will come in both Mobil Super Synthetic and Mobil 1 varieties. I'd like to see them sell EITHER in a 5-quart jug.

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
Originally Posted By: UberxG
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_engine-oil-faqs.aspx#4

Mobil Clean has been discontinued, So has Mobil clean 7500.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a new synthetic they will offer.

MORE ON MOBIL SUPER ( http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils.aspx )

And will no longer offer a semi synthetic product. WOW!!

Would the reason for this be because the conventional oil w/SN rating is actually a syn-blend and they don't want to market it that way and reduce synthetic sales?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
Originally Posted By: UberxG
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_engine-oil-faqs.aspx#4

Mobil Clean has been discontinued, So has Mobil clean 7500.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a new synthetic they will offer.

MORE ON MOBIL SUPER ( http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils.aspx )

And will no longer offer a semi synthetic product. WOW!!

Would the reason for this be because the conventional oil w/SN rating is actually a syn-blend and they don't want to market it that way and reduce synthetic sales?

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I wonder if there will be fire sale prices on the old lines.

Unless the UPC code changes, Wal-Mart does not track oil when it changes specifications. 99% of shoppers will not care if it is SM or SN and grab whatever is in front of the shelve.

Wal-Mart will not have problems rotating out old stock for new stock SN spec oil.

Last edited:
I saw Mobil Super (GF-5/SN) at Wal-Mart today.

Oddly they were also selling 5-gallon Wal-Mart labeled Pennzoil dino oil but despite the January 2011 date code, it was still GF-4/SM. SOPUS has stopped making SM oil since October 1, except only for Wal-Mart they still bottle SM oil! It's a pity that they would sell outdated products through Wal-Mart. Perhaps they have some leftover Pennzoil SM stocks, and they found a way to get rid of it by bottling it with Pennzoil Wal-Mart labels and selling through Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
I saw Mobil Super (GF-5/SN) at Wal-Mart today.

Oddly they were also selling 5-gallon Wal-Mart labeled Pennzoil dino oil but despite the January 2011 date code, it was still GF-4/SM. SOPUS has stopped making SM oil since October 1, except only for Wal-Mart they still bottle SM oil! It's a pity that they would sell outdated products through Wal-Mart. Perhaps they have some leftover Pennzoil SM stocks, and they found a way to get rid of it by bottling it with Pennzoil Wal-Mart labels and selling through Wal-Mart.

More likely explanation is that they had a few pallets of old labels still needing to be used up.

I've seen SN rated PYB at Walmart in quarts but did not look at the Jugs of PYB. The bronze bottle Pennzoil HM oils are all SN but they are not GF-5 rated.

I sent two e-mail inquiries to SOPUS on why the Pennzoil SN HM oils are not GF-5 rated, nor are they resource conserving, like the SM GF-4 Pennzoil HM oils......I never got a response from SOPUS, on my inquiry on the HM oil ratings.

Anyone know the answer?????????

I bought 12 qt chevron supreme motor oil for $21.99 from costco. no tax. gf-5 sn. production date 01/17/2012.

i was there last night in a new super store in new jersey and their prices were high on a lot of things motorcraft filters were $4.67 and oil was mostly sm and there was no pennzoil ultra but they did have some older pennzoil platinum sm but the prices were very high which will save me money in the long run because i wont bother going there and my wife wont be shopping spending hundreds of dollars on things we dont need..

With my discount i pay less at the dealership thats pretty sad considering...

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I bought 12 qt chevron supreme motor oil for $21.99 from costco. no tax. gf-5 sn. production date 01/17/2012.
Great price. $1.83 a qt. Wonder if Sam's have that same type of deal?

SM or SN, I don't really care. My motor won't notice the difference at this point and MS5K is still the best dino deal out there. Running 2nd place is Val Maxlife at $13.50 for 5qts!

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: moto94536
Great price. $1.83 a qt. Wonder if Sam's have that same type of deal?

SM or SN, I don't really care. My motor won't notice the difference at this point and MS5K is still the best dino deal out there. Running 2nd place is Val Maxlife at $13.50 for 5qts!

The Sam's by me in northwestern NJ has their own 5W30 oil in SN/GF5. I'm not sure of the name. It's either PERFORMANCE ENGINEERED or CERTIFIED. It comes in 12 quart cases and costs $1.70/quart.

Whimsey

I wonder who makes that oil, Performance Engineered/Certified? It's always interesting to try and find the PDS/MSDS on these unknown oils. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised by the maker/distributor of these oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back