New Flat Screen TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new TV. I am looking for a flat screen with a minimum screen size of 42 inches. Has any one here purchased one lately ? Any suggestions as to what to buy or avoid ? I don't want or need a "smart" TV or anything 3D. Just want a good, midrange set.

Thanks...

(Happy Fathers Day in advance to all of us Fathers)

Lat week I saw a LCD 55" at Walmart for less than $600. I think you can get a good 42-46" LCD for less than $500 at big box stores.

You should go with middle brands such as Toshiba, Sharp ... They are almost as good as top brands but for a lot less $

I boughy a 46" Vizio last year and I'm very happy. 1080p, 120hz, 3D and Smart for $499 if I remember correctly.

Find a someone that understands these new fangled TVs and asked him. He will know "exactly" what all the pixel, LED, non-LED stuff means. The young kid (He didn't work in the store)that I talked to was a electronics "gearhead" and showed me what to buy. I bought a Sanyo, but don't ask me the spec's, all I know is when watching TV its like your standing there as it happens!

At Xmas time, I bought a Pansonic 55" GT50 from Amazon for $1350, no tax or shipping. They've gone UP since then, but so far I'm happy with it and friends have been amazed at the picture. I think the have the 60 series out now (ie: 55" ST60, 60" VT60, etc.).

I've had real good luck with the no name TV's. First one was an Olivia brand TV, that is still chugging along after 7 years. I just gave it to my mother.

When I moved to Texas, Best buy was running a special on a Insignia brand LCD 40'' TV for $279.

Picture is sharp enough for me (hooked up to ATT Uverse), I'm real happy with the picture.

Take a look at the Insignia deals at best buy.

If you want a 42", I would look no further than a Panasonic plasma.. They are not expensive unless you go with the higher series, they are reliable and the picture is awesome.

I <3 my plasma.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I've had real good luck with the no name TV's. First one was an Olivia brand TV, that is still chugging along after 7 years. I just gave it to my mother.

When I moved to Texas, Best buy was running a special on a Insignia brand LCD 40'' TV for $279.

Picture is sharp enough for me (hooked up to ATT Uverse), I'm real happy with the picture.

Take a look at the Insignia deals at best buy.

I've had a 42" Insignia plasma screen for a few years, and like it quite a bit. FWIW, the video card on my HTPC recognizes it as a Samsung.

I have heard great things about vizio from people i would say know a fair amount about electronics.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I am in the market for a new TV. I am looking for a flat screen with a minimum screen size of 42 inches. Has any one here purchased one lately ? Any suggestions as to what to buy or avoid ? I don't want or need a "smart" TV or anything 3D. Just want a good, midrange set.

Thanks...

(Happy Fathers Day in advance to all of us Fathers)

Milkman,

Depending on what you need and your budget, you could go plasma or LCD or LED.
I have two plasma TVs A Panasonic 42 inch and a Samsung 43 inch. Last year I upgraded to a 55 Inch LED Toshiba. LEDs use less electricity and generate less heat.

Have a look at the following website for comparison details.
http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma

If you are member a costco, I would purchase your TV from them since you get one extra year warranty for no extra charge.

They are probably selling a 40 inch LED for under $400.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I have 2 2010 Samsung LCDs (a 1080p 46 in & a 720p 32 in) that I am very satisfied with. I would certainly buy another Samsung if I needed to. I've looked at other brands since and a few are just as good, but none look better than these Samsung.

Unless you viewing room is very bright, Panasonic Plasmas are hard to beat. Top rated by most magazines..and by me.

You have to go by faith and review...because in the big box stores plasmas do not fair well due to the the bright lighting. Get them home and they kick a$$.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Unless you viewing room is very bright, Panasonic Plasmas are hard to beat. Top rated by most magazines..and by me.

You have to go by faith and review...because in the big box stores plasmas do not fair well due to the the bright lighting. Get them home and they kick a$$.

Yup. A friend came over to check out my Panasonic plasma and was amazed.

*He was also grinning due to the sound...and I quote "Jeez! Its like a movie theater in here!"
thumbsup2.gif
Thank you Yamaha and Paradigm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back