Anyone ever painted a bezel on a flat screen TV?

I checked out the Amazon Fire Omni QLED TV's at BestBuy and for my needs they're pretty nice. I was thinking if they do a crazy good deal on Prime Day, I might pick one up.

But it has a silver bezel. My wife wants a black TV in the living room. So anyway. Anyone ever tried to paint a bezel? Obviouisly, you don't want to tape off the screen, so that increases the degree of difficulty. Just wondering if anyone's actually done this? Very carefully, perhaps?

Just put black tape on the bezel. Preferably masking tape like this. If it's a good enough deal do it.

Vinyl might look better. If you can find a sign shop that does custom vinyl lettering, they could cut strips to your specification using a plotter and supply them with premask.

Or if one were super committed, I bet there's a price at which an automotive wrap shop would take on the work.

I had to look at that TV out of curiosity. I think it's a good looking TV. If you buy it, see if you can live with it. The TV doesn't have the ugly silver electronics look that was popular 20 years ago.

A white bezel was needed on a large black monitor once.
I used standard blue painter's tape lain 7/8 onto brown paper.
That means only 2mm of tape touched the screen. I filled the rest of the screen with brown paper.
Then I roughened the surface with steel wool, wiping with microfiber towels and vacuuming often throughout the process.
Finish wiping with alcohol.
Here's the kicker: I then applied white primer with a brush.
After allowing to dry and repriming a few thin spots (more drying time) I shot it with Krylon.
Krylon flat black is legendary. Their gloss black is quite good, but their matte black is from God's paint shop.

This was as big a screen as you'd find in any sports bar. It came out perfectly.
It was for a building lobby.

I think tape (if you could find some wide enough) or vinyl is too thick a material to finish well.
I've never seen "car/truck wrap" material though I believe the finish feel would be superior; that's if it's available in black.
Also, I bet a wrap shop would need the bezel presented as a single, removed part.
No such shop could estimate the time accurately enough to be comfortable giving an estimate. I doubt they'd take the job "as is" (meaning you don't disassemble the TV) as they'd have to disassemble the TV. They'd have no prior experience and wouldn't risk being responsible for damage.

I think dishdude nailed it right out of the box....all things considered.

edit: skyactiv is right. Put your wife in her place (ha-ha).

I checked out the Amazon Fire Omni QLED TV's at BestBuy and for my needs they're pretty nice. I was thinking if they do a crazy good deal on Prime Day, I might pick one up.

But it has a silver bezel. My wife wants a black TV in the living room. So anyway. Anyone ever tried to paint a bezel? Obviouisly, you don't want to tape off the screen, so that increases the degree of difficulty. Just wondering if anyone's actually done this? Very carefully, perhaps?
If the bezel is plastic (most are now) I'd be hesitant to paint. Youd have to rough up the plastic for the paint to adhere. I'd go online and see if they sell the same version with a black bezel.

I suppose you could take it apart until you get the bezel itself and paint that separately. I wouldn't have the confidence to do it to a new TV but I'd have the confidence to do it to a new laptop.

Back