New car oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently decided I wanted to buy a little hot rod to have some fun with. I was looking at both the Mitsu Evo and the Sube WRX STI. I opted for the STI.

Sube recommends 5W30 every 3750 miles. I plan on breaking in with regular dino oil changes switching to full synthetic at some point (haven't decided exactly when yet).

I seem to recall reading hear that Subaru motors in general are easy on oil. Being that the STI is a high output and turbo I'm thinking the full synthetic will be extra protection.

I've got a pretty good stash of GC 0W30. I'd like to stick with a group 4 oil but I'm open to other suggestions. Over the counter availability is a plus too.

I must be going through a mid life crisis. I'm too old for this car but I am enjoying it
smile.gif
Thanks.

I always recommend going up at least 10,000 miles on a brand new engine with cheap oil before switching to synthetic. Unless you are wanting to extend your drain intervals, use your German Castrol at 5,000-7,500 OCIs. Do a UOA to confirm the oil can make it that long.

If you want to go 10,000 miles or more, you may want to consider Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP.

I'm not really looking to extend drain intervals. For the first 3/36K I will change per Subaru's recommendation for warranty (and save my receipts).

I was thinking 10K on either Motorcraft 5w30 or Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (GIII) 5w30 at 3750 intervals and then switching to GC 0W30. I thought I read (need to go back and check) that the recommended interval from Subaru for this car is 3750 (which is fine by me). Like I said. I'm not so much looking to extend intervals. Just want to keep the motor happy.

Subaru does have the max OCI with the Turbos @ 3750 miles now.

I've got a 07 Outback with the 2.5i NA motor and so far, love it! They make a nice vehicle.

Enjoy! Bill

Never too old for a fun, sporty car. I'm almost 55 and love my Mustang GT. I really like the STI. My brother's Subie Dealer uses MC 5W30. He was going to use it till 10k and then switch to syn but decided to stay with it. His Forester is not turbo. I think GC would be a great choice for your car. Too thick for my Mustang (I use PP 5W20).

Never too old indeed but I'm in my mid 40's and I get some interesting looks from the 20 somethings. Always a thumb up.

My car is urban gray metallic with silver wheels. The only thing over the top is the wing on the trunk. I would have probably bought a STI limited if any where still avail. I found one in TX but I'm in CT and it wasn't worth the effort to go that far. Plus aside from the smaller trunk spoiler on the limited I really like the regular STI better. I don't want a sunroof or leather. The two things on the limited I wish I could get was the more subdued rear spoiler and the heated front seats. I like the Alcantara cloth over the leather. Subie does sell color matched trunks so I guess I could always swap trunk lids if I wanted. The spoiler is growing on me though.

I think I'll do the first oil change at 1K and then do 3K up to 10K. Finally I'll probably switch to synthetic and stick to the 3750 to keep Subie happy for warranty purposes. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you on following SOA's 3750 OCI's.

You can switch to synthetic on the first oil change, or use 'conventional' oil like MC which is a 'synthetic' blend for the first 10K.

Driving the engine hard is probably more important for a good break-in than whether you run a group III 'synthetic' or a 'synthetic' blend.

During the first 1000 miles: 5 second intervals at full throttle and then full vacuum in third gear should help work the rings. During the 1000 miles it helps to drive easy and gradually work the car harder...but keep the engine free revving.

After the 1000 miles comes the 'drive it like you stole it' part.

I thnk a group III synthetic on sale like Pennzoil Platinum makes a lot of sense for 3K intervals. But if you find you drive the car to the max all the time..then GC or Redline.

Subaru oil filters might be the safest choice for warranty, but I have used PureOne filters on our subies.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm going to stick with Subaru oil filters at least for the warranty period. Of course they are probably no better than anything else (not sure who makes them -- I saw Purolator somwhere but again not sure) but IF I ever have a problem it is a no brainer when I produce receipts showing Subaru parts and proper maintenance intervals.

I like to eliminate as many variables as possible when dealing with warranty claims. Hopefully this car will be a "typical" trouble free Japanese car.

I've only had the car for 3 days and I'm amazed the smile it puts on my face every time I get in it. I'm enjoying even more than I thought I would. First tank of gas yielded over 21 MPG. Not bad for a little "hot rod".

I just gave it a complete detail (I asked the dealer not to wash or remove the protective plastic on the paint -- I hate the dealer prep induced swirl marks) and the Urban Gray Metallic is such a pretty color.

The Tokyo Roki Subaru OEM oil filters are excellent quality, I have about a dozen of them in my "stash" along with about 50 quarts of German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 which I use in my 2005 STi on a 5,000 interval. I ran conventional and semi-synthetic oils in my STi during the first 10,000 miles (changed out at 2,500 mile intervals). All my UOA's are posted in the UOA section if you're interested.

Enjoy your STi!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back