New Car - First Oil Change - Audi 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I have a new 2013 Audi Q5 with the 2.0T Direct Injection only motor (eg: prone to carbon build up on valves).

I am of the older school view that the initial oil fill will have a lot of metal filings etc from building and wear-in, so I'd like to change it earlier than the 10K KM normal service threshold Audi schedules....

But then I have heard they use "special break in oil" that I shouldn't dump early (just random stuff I'v heard, not from the dealer or anything)...

So I am torn - I'd like to get the excess metal out around 2K KM, but I don't want to 'rob' the motor of any low viscosity/whatever break-in oil they put in, as I am sure the engineers know best...

Thoughts?

First, congrats! sweet car!!!
I have only heard about special break in oil in some Honda's... I've also heard that new cars engines are finished so fine and so well that there should be no metal particals. but, for me, I change oil in my new cars somewhere between 1k and 2k.

Last edited:
I would follow the Meister's (Doug Hillary) advice which is to always follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter. If AUDI doesn't require an early oci to wash out wear metals, I would run it to their specified oci.

FWIW Hillary has an article on the subject on the main BITOG page. He says some factory fills do contain special break-in additives. I think that probably applies to diesels, but you never know.

I would wait till 5000km before dumping it. The metals in the oil are abrasive which for a new engine is good initially.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
I would wait till 5000km before dumping it. The metals in the oil are abrasive which for a new engine is good initially.

How are abrasive metals in the oil good for an engine, new or old? I never heard that brought up in this kind of thread which happens probably a dozen times a year. I've read the pro's and con's probably 100 times, I will keep my opinion to myself [I'm not into getting flamed today], but your comments interest me. Thanks

Personally, if it were my Audi (or any VW product with a turbo and DI), I would change the oil every 5k miles. Not earlier, not later. Right at 5k. And keep the 5k mile change interval over the life of the engine.

That VW 2.0T engine is not kind to any engine oil after 5k miles.

BC.

10k is pretty tough to do unless you have one of the more "pedestrian" motors (the 2.5L I5, for example). All of the new FSI motors are proving to be pretty harsh on oil.

I drained the dealer's Edge 5w40 at 5k and Blackstone showed it was pretty beat up.

According to Hillary, the principal wear metal that could cause abrasive wear is iron. He has mentioned 150 ppm iron as a condemnation point that some euro oems use. Blackstone uses 200 ppm. If you change your oil early at 2k mi I would guess it will be around 20-25 ppm iron, and then at 10k it will be maybe the same, maybe a little more; and if you leave the factory fill in and change it at 10k it will probably be around 40-45 ppm iron. So what have you accomplished by changing it early?

I own a 2012 Q5 with the same motor. Here in the U.S., Audi recommends that the initial oil and filter change be done at 5000 miles, and is provided by an Audi dealer at no charge. I did adhere to the recommendation. Since then I have been changing the oil and filter every 5000-5500 miles using Castrol Edge with SPT 5w-40 and the recommended VW/Audi oil filter (or the equivalent Mann W719/45 filter).

Car makers don't want to sell a very high end car [actually ANY car] that requires a short OCI.
It is not good for sales [infers lower quality], and also because civilian people are not good at changing oil religiously.
So this is part of the longer initial fill.
I'm sure it is pretty safe to go 10ooo k [not 10,000 miles], but I'd also do my initial change at around 5oook.
You'll never regret it and you only get one chance at a first OCI.

Remember that this is still a lot of miles, compared to the old days of 500-1000 miles!

Originally Posted By: TacoToy
Here in the U.S., Audi recommends that the initial oil and filter change be done at 5000 miles, and is provided by an Audi dealer at no charge.

^This.

And the 2.0T is not prone to intake valve deposits, only the older 3.2 V6. Check audiworld.com for more details.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
because civilian people are not good at changing oil religiously.

Civilian people?
laugh.gif

I bought a 2013 Hyundai Tucson GLS about a month ago. I have less than 600 miles on it since I bought it but I changed out the factory fill today for QS synthetic.

Oil looked pretty much brand new but I always change the oil in a new to me car within 1,000 miles of ownership.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
According to Hillary, the principal wear metal that could cause abrasive wear is iron.

My experience shows aluminum oxide is also a significant harmful contaminant in manufactured machinery. It is very abrasive. I've spent a lot of time examining contaminants in my career. Aluminum oxide is used a lot in manufacturing, chiefly in the form of grinding media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back