New Cannonball record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some numb cops out there,not able to spot someone doing 130+ mph.I thought cops were all "Rosco P Coletrane" and "Buford T Justice",just looking for an excuse to go on "hot pursuit".

I absolutely guarantee that they passed 10+ cops on this journey, but they were just going too fast for the cops to catch up. I bet when they saw the cops they put the pedal to the metal and outran them. They had to have been doing 160+ miles per hour on some legs of the journey.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I absolutely guarantee that they passed 10+ cops on this journey, but they were just going too fast for the cops to catch up. I bet when they saw the cops they put the pedal to the metal and outran them. They had to have been doing 160+ miles per hour on some legs of the journey.

I thought that is what the RADIO was for.

I love racing, but in the right place.
Would you want these guys coming through your town?

Where have I been? I didn't even realize Brock Yates had Alzheimer's. I knew he was gone from C&D, but I let my membership lapse over the period he left, so knew nothing about anything!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Where have I been? I didn't even realize Brock Yates had Alzheimer's. I knew he was gone from C&D, but I let my membership lapse over the period he left, so knew nothing about anything!

I did not even know he was still with us at this point.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Yes. It would mean that the traffic problem's been solved.

Nice one!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Very interesting to see if this guy will get charged with anything for coming forward so soon after the record run.

This is America, the land of fair trials with evidence presented. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no evidence, just an admission that they sped across the United States. Then there comes an area of jurisdictions. Who charges him? Speeding is a county jurisdictional issue, and they drove through, what, 500-1000 counties on their journey? Then there were also three drivers, so who exactly was driving in each different jurisdiction?

They wont be charged with anything (lack of evidence).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I did not even know he was still with us at this point.

I was unsure, too, until I did some checking. All I knew was that he was writing for C&D when my subscription lapsed, and he was gone when I started up again. Apparently, it was a cost-cutting move with the decline of print media.

Very interesting to see if this guy will get charged with anything for coming forward so soon after the record run.

This is America, the land of fair trials with evidence presented. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no evidence, just an admission that they sped across the United States. Then there comes an area of jurisdictions. Who charges him? Speeding is a county jurisdictional issue, and they drove through, what, 500-1000 counties on their journey? Then there were also three drivers, so who exactly was driving in each different jurisdiction?

The evidence exists at the GPS company that he hired to document the run. The article on Jalopnik says the GPS record of his run is 218 pages long, and it must include speed and location for every minute of the 28+ hours. If law enforcement gets aggressive, they can get the NSA to search the guy's phone, credit card, and e-mail records to find which GPS company he was doing business with, then lean on them to cough up the records.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
They don't need the involvement of the NSA at all. They can just get warrants and be done with it.

I think many of us online could be charged the same way. We made public that we were speeding, and then our car with GPS probably has all sorts of data logs to prove that we did it.
Does the public want law enforcement to get that aggressive for traffic offenses? Probably not now, but someday it will happen I guess.

Look at it this way. How much is it worth to law enforcement? If a guy doing traffic enforcement in my jurisdiction sees me bragging that I drive to work at 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone online and that I have a GPS recording everything, which is he more likely to do? Is he going to bug his supervisor, go to the FBI to get a warrant to get the server logs for BITOG to prove where I am and my identity (even if I were to disclose it online), get a warrant here to get my GPS data, then get me in court, then prove to a judge beyond a reasonable doubt that the GPS data is accurate (considering I doubt it's ever been done in this province or even this country), and that it was me driving the vehicle, all for a $150 fine? Or, would he, maybe get a little more information out of me and simply run radar and zing me coming home one night?

The former has so many flaws and holes in it that it isn't even funny. The supervisor would flip, and I wouldn't want to be the one phoning the FBI for a search warrant for an American server for a speeding charge. In the end, I could also be boasting and never exceed 80 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.

If I did a Youtube video of me drinking and ripping around town, endangering lives, but that's another matter altogether. Law enforcement doesn't have the time, no matter how much technology is there to help them.

If even 10% of people who got tickets insisted on a trial, rather than pleading guilty by mail or in person, the court system would grind to a screeching halt.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The evidence exists at the GPS company that he hired to document the run. The article on Jalopnik says the GPS record of his run is 218 pages long, and it must include speed and location for every minute of the 28+ hours. If law enforcement gets aggressive, they can get the NSA to search the guy's phone, credit card, and e-mail records to find which GPS company he was doing business with, then lean on them to cough up the records.

Yeah, which one of the thousands of street cops, detectives, or troopers from the jurisdictions that these guys sped through are going to take the time to request a warrant or subpoena the GPS records? And then after you get a warrant, how will you determine which of the three drivers was actually driving?

This isn't a case of a wanted international terrorist that must be investigated by the full force of the US governments ability. This is a case of 3 idiots that sped across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back