New brass tumbler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently in the past I was using the wife's computer to shop Amazon, and I put a bunch of stuff into the cart, stuff I was thinking of getting and using her Prime subscription for free shipping. 'cept I didn't bother, as I couldn't justify spending the money. Well, wouldn't you know it, she remembered and bought me a few items from that. I just loaded up a Franklin Arsenal tumbler with some corn cob media, a dryer sheet and bunch of range brass to try out. 30min and it looks like it is doing something, we'll see what an hour plus does for some of the worst brass.

Had I known she was going to do that, I might have put an RCBS tumbler into the cart instead. Oh well, if this wears out I'll get a better one.

So far I've only reloaded for my revolver, so tarnished brass never bothered me. But it'll be nice to have the option for cleaner ammo. Plus it's possible I could clean up range brass and trade with guys at the range.

I've had a Hornady tumbler since about 1997 and still going strong. I'm using Lyman TuffNut and like it a lot. If you've neer had a basket separator....spend the $25 you will not know how you lived without it.

I can already see that I wanted one of those separators... Might have to spring for that in the near future.

Now I'm starting to wish I had dies for all the 45 brass I've picked up. Then again, once I had those dies I'd probably want something to use that 45 in.

What does the dryer sheet do? I have never heard of that one for brass tumbling? I use corn cob media with the RCBS dry polish powder in it and it works great in my lyman turbo tumbler. I am going to try the poor man's tumbling recipe next. Crush walnut hull lizard bedding (half the price of reloading walnut shells) and Nufinish liquid car polish, supposed to work great and cost half the price of actual reloading specific products.

I have an RCBS and a friend has a Frankfort.

The Frankfort works just as good, the swtichgear, hardware and color are all a little better on the RCBS, but that is about it.

The media separator rules, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Yes, do tell on the dryer sheet, I've heard of using them on the powder hopper to reduce static but I am pretty sure in a tumbler is a new one on me.

I saw it in a few posts, thought it was a common thing? Best i can tell, it collects dust and grime, as it is a bit tacky. Keeps the media from loading up I guess.

One of the most commonest additives to use and probably one of the best is a capful of Nu-Finish. It contains no abrasives and puts a lite coating of poly on the cases to prevent tarnish. Been doing it this way for 20 plus years.

Regarding the dryer sheet it helps keep the media clean and removes excess polish that many seem to add way to much, the old thinking of if a little is good more is better. NOT SO.

Regarding the Frankfort tumbler, its little more than the same as the Harbor Freight tumbler which is available, both made in China.

For those still looking, check out the Berry line of tumblers, made right here in the U.S. of A using U.S. citizens. All except the motor tho, which no one here makes one even close to spec. These Berry tumbler run in the same price range and are available as Berry brand, Cabela's #400, Graf #400, and maybe others.

My Frankford Arsenal tumbler died a few years ago. Turns out a power wire came off the motor. Re-soldered it and it works fine. Tumble overnight and you'll get some gleaming cases.

That said, I've switched to ultrasonic cleaning. The case aren't as shiny, but there is no dust to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back