New Amsoil EA15K13 different than Fram Endurance from 2023

Just bought a Amsoil EA15K13 and was surprised to see that it is different than a Fram Endurance FE7317 I recently bought. Up until now I was under the impression that the filters were the same other than cosmetic outer paint.

The Amsoil has an E-core plastic inner tube. You can see the media and the reinforcing screen behind the tube. Fram has louvers on the spiral metal inner tube.

Base plates are different: Amsoil 13 smaller oblong holes; Fram 10 larger round holes. Different configuration of plate around the center threads (Amsoil being more rounded).

Amsoil weighs 205 grams, Fram weighs 232 grams. Can't be sure without destructive testing, but the Fram may have a thicker canister wall accounting for the increased weight, but it is possible that the weight difference is entirely due to the plastic vs, metal inner tube.

Production dates: Amsoil 2/23/2024 in Champ format. Fram 4/05/2023 in Fram format. So, the Fram was produced almost a year earlier.

You'd want to compare similar production dates to be able to say if they're actually different concurrently.

we have seen some of the royal purples also have an E-core. probably reserving the E-cores for the private label line. an E-core is the ideal construction for a metal backed filter as we don’t have to worry about media tears or closed louvers.

.....The Amsoil has an E-core plastic inner tube. You can see the media and the reinforcing screen behind the tube. Fram has louvers on the spiral metal inner tube......
Interesting. As alluded to previously, it would seem that at least for the application you received, you got more of a Royal Purple version/type filter. Some RPs posted here have used ecore nylon core rather than a louvered tube seen on the FE. Still made by Champ Labs though. I don't have a problem with louvered tubes or current ecore tube, personally I'd just buy on price.

Just bought a Amsoil EA15K13 and was surprised to see that it is different than a Fram Endurance FE7317 I recently bought. Up until now I was under the impression that the filters were the same other than cosmetic outer paint.

The Amsoil has an E-core plastic inner tube. You can see the media and the reinforcing screen behind the tube. Fram has louvers on the spiral metal inner tube.

Base plates are different: Amsoil 13 smaller oblong holes; Fram 10 larger round holes. Different configuration of plate around the center threads (Amsoil being more rounded).

Amsoil weighs 205 grams, Fram weighs 232 grams. Can't be sure without destructive testing, but the Fram may have a thicker canister wall accounting for the increased weight, but it is possible that the weight difference is entirely due to the plastic vs, metal inner tube.

Production dates: Amsoil 2/23/2024 in Champ format. Fram 4/05/2023 in Fram format. So, the Fram was produced almost a year earlier.
The Amsoil EAO product line is the identical to the Fram Endurance. I have cut many of them open to prove it. The EA15k series is their more middle of the row line. Still a good filter, but more budget design.

Amsoil EAO and Fram Endurance are both made by Champion labs. It just makes more sense for them to use one design. Royal Purple Extended Performance filter is also the same.

Fram and Amsoil are made in the same factory even. The three filters I use are the Fram Endurance, Purolator Boss (Mann&Hummel), and the Amsoil EAO product line depending on which vehicle (Only because I am a preferred dealer but ordering and having on the shelf is when I use Amsoil, but Fram Endurance from Walmart only, is an easy pickup and same for the Boss filter.

I order most of my oil from Amazon because the local auto parts store are $15 dollars more for the same oil that I use. I use three different oil brands and do oil analysis on my many vehicles being them personal or work vans.

-Kevin

Back