New '13 GT Mustang, Also, any true synthetics left

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a new 2013 GT Mustang,stick, would you guys stay with Motorcraft or change? Also thinking of synthetics and read somewhere(can't remember where), that there is only a few "true" synthetics left. I know two questions, but would you stay with Motorcraft or go synthetic? Wife will commute 30 miles 1 way 5 days a week mostly 50-60 mph. On weekends I will play. It will see high revs and speed until I get busted too much. Also, lengthy vacations. Thinking of Amsoil but never tried it. Any input on true synthetics or what you would run are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Travis.

Originally Posted By: Travis1963
We just bought a new 2013 GT Mustang,stick, would you guys stay with Motorcraft or change? Also thinking of synthetics and read somewhere(can't remember where), that there is only a few "true" synthetics left. I know two questions, but would you stay with Motorcraft or go synthetic? Wife will commute 30 miles 1 way 5 days a week mostly 50-60 mph. On weekends I will play. It will see high revs and speed until I get busted too much. Also, lengthy vacations. Thinking of Amsoil but never tried it. Any input on true synthetics or what you would run are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Travis.

CONGRATS!!! No need to stray from Motorcraft especially during warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1

CONGRATS!!! No need to stray from Motorcraft especially during warranty.

+2

The MC blend is a semi-synthetic but has one of the best MO friction modifiers available.

Just my HO, but if you want to drive it on vacations I would ginger it and not push it too hard.

The "true" synthetics thing is a load of hogwash perpetuated by ignorance. Group III oils are synthetics, plain and simple.

I would use the Motorcraft oil without hesitation in that motor. It's not picky about oil at all.

Yup - just stick with the MC oil.

Especially with all that highway driving - it's going to be great for the engine and the oil itself.

Also thinking of synthetics and read somewhere(can't remember where), that there is only a few "true" synthetics left.

I once read somewhere that Santa Claus really exists.

Don't worry about it.

If you want a majority synthetic PCMO, Fuch's, Amsoil Signature, and Redline would be my choices.

But as I stated earlier, MC is a very good Blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I once read somewhere that Santa Claus really exists.

He does. I get Christmas gifts every year, therefore he must exist.

Thanks, the thing is impressive. 420 HP. It will set you back in your seat. Wife's last new car. Convertible, leather. She had cancer 8 years ago so I traded off a '95 cummins then on a very low mileage '03 GT and ever since we got rid of that she has wanted another. 100K bumper to bumper warranty, so if Ford is picky regarding oil, I guess i can stay with Motorcraft. I am still recovering from the 70s and 80s when i changed oil every 3K. I will go longer but I maintain my vehicles with overkill. Hope I keep this one a long time. It will probably average 20K a year. That's her avg last few years. Travis.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The MC blend is a semi-synthetic but has one of the best MO friction modifiers available.

MO = Motor Oil?

I'm curious on learning more about your statement. Not in dispute of it, of course, but I'm curious what about the MC blend makes it one of the best.

I just bought 5 quarts of it nearly for free from the recent O'Reilly promotion, so I'm curious to know.

Thanks.

Do you have the track pack option on your GT? We have one here on the lot that I have been drooling over. Just remember that thing takes 8 quarts in the sump. If it is a Track Pack it takes 5w50, if not it takes 5w20. Both options take the FL-500S filter.

Well, I read it on the internet and we all know it's got to be true, right. But i do come here for a little clarity. I promise it will be driven hard from time to time. It won't be red lined but it will be driven with enthusiasm and a large smile regularly, at least when she lets me. There is nothing like down shifting and hearing and feeling that HP.

Quote:
MO = Motor Oil?

I'm curious on learning more about your statement. Not in dispute of it, of course, but I'm curious what about the MC blend makes it one of the best.

I don't know if it is the best, which is difficult to define, but it is a top notch Blend.

PCMO is Passenger Car Motor Oil, MO is Motor Oil, same thing but more general.

The MC oils are semi-synthetic because they are composed of highly refined GroupII mineral oils, some GroupIII Isomerized mineral oil, and lesser amounts of synthetic components such as Group IV PAO, and GroupV esters.

Their friction modifier additives are top notch.

Last edited:
No track option. Regular GT. But it does have the computer where you can set the 1/4 mile, zero to 60 etc. My 22 year old son who the 59 belongs to would love that option, but I am OK with this I guess. I just want my wife to keep this on the road. She took an '03 S2000 into a corn field a couple years ago. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

Quote: It will see high revs and speed until I get busted. :End quote.

From your wife or police?

The police would probably be more lenient.

I really like the new 5.0 GTs. The ones with the 4.6 3v were good, but the 5.0s are that much better. I would totally love to have one with the Track Pack in Grabber Blue. The exhaust sounds awesome on those 5.0s.

From the police. My wife does not care, she knows I have to fix what I break, deal with the dealer or pay my own ticket. You know, its one of those things, her car but I negotiate, I buy, I fix, I maintain, I think I can get her to wash it regularly though. My son is a good and fast driver, been with him, the good thing for him is he has a CDL for his job at the utility company and he can't lose it, so that will control him a little. This car just begs to be driven hard, it seems like you are not driving properly if you don't have your foot in it a little. Like my sons 59.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The "true" synthetics thing is a load of hogwash perpetuated by ignorance. Group III oils are synthetics, plain and simple.

I would use the Motorcraft oil without hesitation in that motor. It's not picky about oil at all.

Well said, the real synthetic "value proposition" wife's tale will never end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back