Neighbor needs an engine

Last week my neighbors 2016 Kia sorento began knocking, had it towed to the dealer for a diagnosis and it was determined an engine replacement is needed. Since they are 2nd owner and outside the warranty they quoted an engine replacement of over $12k but they would discount it to 6500, what ever that means.
The vehicle still has a note and it is not worth spending the money the Kia dealer quoted for an engine. (in my opinion) I advised to call three local shops and ask what a R&R and used engine would cost and go from there. They asked me what I think it would cost but have never been in this position before. I loosley took a stab and said maybe, possibly, could be, not sure but around give or take....... 3500?
I understand a few mechanics are on this board but does this sound close for a used engine replacement for a 75k mile Kia?

Which engine? If it has either the 2.0T or 2.4 Theta II then I believe it’s covered under the lifetime warranty.

If it’s the 3.3 V6 then they are out of luck unfortunately. Contrary to what a lot of people say, the 3.3 V6 has a long history of failures too.

To answer you question about the R&R cost, $3.5K seems low to me but maybe possible. I’d expect it to be about $4k+ all said and done.

Last edited:
Have them call Kia corporate to log their complaint about the engine issue and open a case file. With all the problems those engines have had I wouldn’t be surprised if corporate approves it. If they bought it certified preowned then it should fall under the 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty.

1 800 333 4KIA

Last edited:
AND REMEMBER tell him to “BE NICE” when he calls . They have him over a barrel period but have been well known to go far beyond the stated warranty limitations . Who knows they might even comp over a loaner you never know but be sure he is nice about it all No matter how long it takes. In all likelihood he will end up with a new engine on their dime. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Ok folks, dont know if this matters but its a Hyundai, not a Kia. Not really sure it matters since they are both the same I believe.

Back