Neglected 1995 ford explorer v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My sister have a 1995 ford explorer with 170,000 miles. The car is supposed to use 5w-30 oil... But she ran 25w-50 for 3 years (i don't know why)... So the car had pennzoil 25w-50 for 3 years, She needs an oil change and im doing that job. But i have a question...Is there any risk of burning oil for going from 25w-50 to 5w-30?

I would say "no," but the only way is to see.

I'll bet she used 20W-50 due to "how hot it is out there." I used to think similarly. And on an old classic car, you never know...

I would think that engine would be happy to see thinner, I'm still wondering if it did any "damage."

If the temps were not too low, it probably was not bad for the engine. And switching will not make anything worse than it might already be.

Last edited:
Give it a try. Just keep a close eye on it. Since its been on a 50 grade for so long I'd just go with M1 0w-40 or German castrol for the rest of the service life of the vehicle

No risk. Just change the oil to 5w30. People in other countries run 20w50 in lots of vehicles we run 5w30 in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Give it a try. Just keep a close eye on it. Since its been on a 50 grade for so long I'd just go with M1 0w-40 or German castrol for the rest of the service life of the vehicle

Why? Please explain.

Unless there was already a problem there shouldn't be an issue.

Also, did she CHANGE the 20w50 oil in three years?
Or is it the SAME OIL from 3 years ago?

I've seen engines that somehow survived by being topped off with whatever was available.
However, I'm not sure I want to own one.

I do not believe an engine gets "use to" a certain oil weight. I would go back and use the weight called for in the owners manual, temp compensated.

Its unclear to me (and others), was the same oil run for 3 years with no changes, or was it changed, but always using 25W50. How long was the OCI or OCIs?

thanks for the replies. The OCI was once a year with 25w-30 for 3 years. she bought a pack of oil at costco a few years ago.
The problem is that the MPG are very bad. Thats why im thinking about a thiner oil.

that might be one of the years with valvetrain issues, if so the 20/50 was probably used to mask the "death rattle"

Originally Posted By: cancov
Why not split between the two and go with a HDEO, 15W40? Relatively inexpensive and high detergency levels.

I can support this suggestion. Rotella T6 is some good stuff.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
that might be one of the years with valvetrain issues, if so the 20/50 was probably used to mask the "death rattle"

The only engine available in 1995 Explorers was the 4.0 OHV (pushrod) V6. Aside from some benign rocker tick in higher mileage units, this engine does not have any valvetrain problems.

Originally Posted By: nameless
Hhe ran 25w-50 for 3 years (i don't know why)...

25w-50 exists?
I bet if you read the European or Australian manual, it would say, "Run 20w-50 in temperatures above 0 C." In other words the oil is probably okay and by-the-book... no harm done.

I ran 5w-40 in my 90s-era car until a few months ago, when the dealer poured in 5w-30 and it didn't burn a drop (though it does rattle more). I'm going back to the thicker stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Why use an expensive synthetic oil in an old truck like that ? At this point any multi grade oil in a ?W30 or 40 weight would be fine . Switching back to a thinner oil might make things loosen a bit and it may begin to burn or leak a bit of oil....(I'm saying "maybe here but unlikely") . As someone else mentioned....keep an eye on it or better yet show her how to keep an eye on it .

Originally Posted By: blackman777
25w-50 exists?

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penrac20.html
grin.gif

If she changed the 25-50 only once per year, the oil thinned out some on its own due to shearing and fuel dilution. So, it really had a bit of a lighter weight in it for an extended period anyway.

Personally, I would use 10-30 and not even think about it again. No harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back