Need help -- wood stain spilled on truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Update: Living in a rural area, I am trying to use what I have on hand. I tried some "no vapors" Mineral Spirits. Its looks like milk and is totally useless, even after a soak and vigorous scrubbing.

Next step up is a random can of engine degreaser. I sprayed, waited for 5 min., then scrubbed. The wood stain is starting to loosen. I sprayed again, and drove to HP car wash. Was able to remove about 70-80%.

Will try the lacquer thinner next. Thanks to all who voiced realistic suggestions.

Mineral spirits is clear, not a milk color. The milk color indicates something is wrong with the product, like water got into it, or it was mixed or replaced with something else. Or maybe you just got a bad batch, which I've never seen or heard of. I would try a fresh can of mineral spirits, especially now that you've gotten most of the stain off. Those clear coats are good, but they can't stand up to harsh chemicals for very long.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Dermapaint , there IS some type of milky white pseudo product labeled as mineral spirits. Read the reviews of this useless product:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Green-Odorless-Mineral-Spirits-QKGO75001/100677235

There is a low odor mineral spirit product and its milky looking.
Yes i don't know what it is , but it sucks. He needs to get real mineral spirits, not the low odor junk. ( this stuff leaves something on the brushes you can't get off with out real mineral spirts).

I know exactly what you're talking about. A free sample pint of the junk at a trade show was all I needed to convince me not to ever buy it. I can't believe I completely forgot about the product until this thread came along.

Update 2: Tired of the useless junk products, I upped the force, applying pure Toluene. After about a 60 second soak, I wrapped an old cloth around a stiff scrubber and went at it. About 90% of the remaining stain came off. The challenge is the crevices, along the wheel humps and also underneath the tool box where the back of the bed has the drain holes.

Will probably hit it again in a few days and then do HP car wash. At this point, we can probably live with it OK, even though I hope for some more progress.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Update 2: Tired of the useless junk products, I upped the force, applying pure Toluene. After about a 60 second soak, I wrapped an old cloth around a stiff scrubber and went at it. About 90% of the remaining stain came off. The challenge is the crevices, along the wheel humps and also underneath the tool box where the back of the bed has the drain holes.

Will probably hit it again in a few days and then do HP car wash. At this point, we can probably live with it OK, even though I hope for some more progress.

This 3M product is great for cleaning cured auto-paint and removing wax:
3m-08984-400.jpg

A key ingredient is Naptha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back