Deck Staining Question

Gonna redo my 30 year old deck with Trex and Trex Railings. Gonna have wood “under pinning” consisting of vertical boards around the perimeter of the deck making it boxed in. Running from the deck 12” band to the ground. I am expanding my deck so there will be some new unstained boards along side my dark brown solid stained existing vertical boards.

I really want oil based stain and it’s hard to find in a solid dark brown. Any suggestions?

look over TWP wood stains ,,put on my deck past summer ,,looks great, really supposed. to very durable,,make sure you stripp off all old stains thourghly ,are going to do yet this year?,,,also Ready Seal is worth mentioning as decent product,,both are oil based,,not sure if you can use on trex??,is it wood or plastic?

I will 2nd TWP Stain - used it on my cedar fence 4 yrs ago, and my neighbor just had his cedar fence stained the same color, and I only see minimal fade on my sections of fence vs his.

look over TWP wood stains ,,put on my deck past summer ,,looks great, really supposed. to very durable,,make sure you stripp off all old stains thourghly ,are going to do yet this year?,,,also Ready Seal is worth mentioning as decent product,,both are oil based,,not sure if you can use on trex??,is it wood or plastic?
I’m not using it on the Trex. It’s already colored. I’m just staining the wood around the under pinning the same color as the Trex.

Behr has tintable exterior oil stain. Have you asked about that? Home Depot has them and colors them.
I did not know this. I could take a piece of the Trex in and they could pretty much match the color of the Trex?

I did not know this. I could take a piece of the Trex in and they could pretty much match the color of the Trex?
Maybe. Trex is man made. Wood depending on the type will take in the stain however the grain of the wood feels like. If it's old then it would be no problem, newer pressure treated wood I tell people to let it age a year as they sometimes have preservatives that need to bleed out. Pine for instance is a soft wood and I tend to use water based around it. Look for solid or semi solid stains from Cabot or something. Water based, easier clean up and alkyd based I like it's colouring as it ages and works better with brush and doesn't dry as fast so you got more open time to work with it.

Here’s a couple of pics to help you understand.

Attachments

• IMG_7515.jpeg
    IMG_7515.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7516.jpeg
    IMG_7516.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: 4WD
Those pics shows you the color I want to match. Very close anyways.

Take a look at the Cabot stain line up. It looks like Bark Mulch solid stain may be what you are looking for. Cabot also has some light browns, too.

Take a look at the Cabot stain line up. It looks like Bark Mulch solid stain may be what you are looking for. Cabot also has some light browns, too.
Not dark enough. LOL

It's hard as the dickens trying to find some "dangerous" oil based stain. I want some so bad you have to wear a wet suit to apply. What I purchase must be illegal in CA.

I Used Olympic decking stain last time 'round on my Log cabin, Semi-Trans.. They have a solid pigment also. Held up much better than Cabot that I had been using.

Deck looks a bit odd walled in - almost like you have a container next to the house,

Do you have a door so you can used the space for storage?

Since I generally despise lattice, I have stockade panels under my front porch. Next time I think I will space the boards in a 3/8" in gap.

I Used Olympic decking stain last time 'round on my Log cabin, Semi-Trans.. They have a solid pigment also. Held up much better than Cabot that I had been using.

Deck looks a bit odd walled in - almost like you have a container next to the house,

Do you have a door so you can used the space for storage?

Since I generally despise lattice, I have stockade panels under my front porch. Next time I think I will space the boards in a 3/8" in gap.
Yes. That last pic is what is on top of the walls you see. I added a 9x10 ft section for my Kamado Joe and Blackstone. Sorta getting it out of the way of the "main" deck. He hasn't finished putting a small entry door in what you are seeing. It's there and you can barely see it. He's gonna put a small latch on it. He just added a junk here and there.

I'm with you. Lattice and I don't agree.

I'll check out the Olympic. What really irritates me is I don't have and any half empty buckets of what I used for the already stained boards. It could have been Benjamin Moore, Cabots or TWP. I haven't stained the vertical boards in 15 years. Now the walking part of the deck was stained every 3 years max. That's why it has lasted since 1994 (29 years).

Last edited:
Here's a better pic. You can see the addition I'm talking about beyond Max who's looking at you.

Attachments

• IMG_7517.jpeg
    IMG_7517.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 20
Maybe. Trex is man made. Wood depending on the type will take in the stain however the grain of the wood feels like. If it's old then it would be no problem, newer pressure treated wood I tell people to let it age a year as they sometimes have preservatives that need to bleed out. Pine for instance is a soft wood and I tend to use water based around it. Look for solid or semi solid stains from Cabot or something. Water based, easier clean up and alkyd based I like it's colouring as it ages and works better with brush and doesn't dry as fast so you got more open time to work with it.

Good advice here.

The water-based will be much more color-stable over time, but that might not matter as much to you if it’s underneath trim boards.

Back