Need help selecting a device for exercise goals

dnewton3

Staff member
Hey all -

I need help finding/selecting a device to use for my exercise goals this year.

Some info that will help understand what my needs/wants are:
- I want to monitor my heart rate during exercise; I hike and walk frequently
- I want there to be a display so I can see the data "live" on the device itself (don't want to have to link it to my phone, or some other equipment)
- I don't care whatsoever about other criteria (don't need it to download to a computer; don't need it to track other bio things like oxygen saturation, etc)
- I want to keep the costs down; preferably under $100 if possible, but this is flexible if other things like quality of accuracy need priority
- I would prefer it to be worn on wrist or arm; not wanting a chest band
- I don't want/need it to be a "smart" device; I don't want an Apple watch or similar expensive redundant device

Hey all -

- I want there to be a display so I can see the data "live" on the device itself (don't want to have to link it to my phone, or some other equipment)
- I don't care whatsoever about other criteria (don't need it to download to a computer; don't need it to track other bio things like oxygen saturation, etc)
- I want to keep the costs down; preferably under $100 if possible, but this is flexible if other things like quality of accuracy need priority
- I don't want/need it to be a "smart" device; I don't want an Apple watch or similar expensive redundant device

I think all quality devices link to a phone but with that said you dont need to have the phone to see the data on the watch.
I have only used Apple Watches and when I work out my phone doesnt have to be with me, complete read out of every imaginable stat on the watch, when near the phone it seamlessly syncs with even a more robust Activity App that will save data forever.
I know what you are looking for, I have used my watch in this way extensively at my Orange Theory Gym (until we moved last year) really amazing to look over the data, this was in addition to wearing Orange Theory"s own device. The HR was always matched on both devices.

In addition my United Health Care app would then sync with my watch and they paid me $10 a month as a healthy activity for the few years I had UHC for having at least 10 days a month of (I forgot) around 10,000 steps

Maybe you want to check the Fitbit Versa 4 around $200, it has a display but even then, not sure if it requires a cell phone.

Last edited:
If accuracy is a priority, you want a Polar chest strap. I like the H10. They transmit using Bluetooth and ANT+ wireless protocol, which is quite universal. This means if you get on a stair climber on the gym which is heart rate monitor compatible, it will (should) pick up the signal from the strap and display it on the screen. In terms of display on the go, any smart-ish watch which can pair with a chest strap would do the job. Polar of course has a smartphone app, but I understand that's not what you're after.

Beyond that, a HR-capable watch with a combination of HR (in)accuracy and price you can tolerate.

Pretty much all my exercise is outdoors (hiking trails or walking sidewalks). So compatibility with exercise equipment is not any benefit; I'll not be on a machine of any means.

What I want is a simple device that displays my real-time heart-rate at a visual glance. (Hence, chest straps are out because I cannot see them when in motion; nor do I want to screw around with putting on and taking off). Also, I don't want to "download" data later for analysis, either. I'm realizing that most of today's choices are FAR more capable than my simplistic needs. So I'm trying to find a device that's the least cost, admitting up front that I'll not be utilizing any device to its full capability.

I'm thinking along the lines of this; just discovered this online.

Yes- it has stuff I don't care about. And though it's a watch, I'm only going to wear it for about an hour each day. But it gets moderately good reviews, and has a HR display at a glance. Fits my needs at a cost within my initial budget of $100. It's a "womens" watch, but it's not overtly "girly" looking and I am well past the age of giving a crap what people think of me while I walk past them.

20 bux?

I'm thinking along the lines of this; just discovered this online.

Yes- it has stuff I don't care about. And though it's a watch, I'm only going to wear it for about an hour each day. But it gets moderately good reviews, and has a HR display at a glance. Fits my needs at a cost within my initial budget of $100.
someone linked that in this thread at 11:11am.. 3 hours ago. ;) :ROFLMAO:

What's a Pedometer? I can tell you that many "women's products" are well-executed and have a nicer overall form factor. Just look at their hair care solutions, clothes, cycling gloves, etc... Good luck on your choice Mr. Grand Poohbah!

The Casio GBD-H2000 outdoor watch measures heart rate and O2 saturation although you don't deem the latter to be important. It has also all the typical outdoor functions, including GPS. Hideous looking, almost $400 but at least it's not a smart "watch." I suggest Google if interested. 👀

Late to the party. I have a fitbit. It keeps track of my heartrate, steps, and distance travelled. It will log it to a phone app if you like, but I don't bother. I think you might need to connect to your phone for some period of time to get started to get it calibrated, set the time, etc. I think there tracker line is under $100 still.

My daughter has one also and there surprisingly accurate. We went hiking in the Appalachian a couple years ago and after a few mile hike each day we would compare - and both ours were within 0.1 miles and matched the trail maps length pretty well.

Hey all -

Any smart watch will do it. But you have to connect to a phone once to set the time and basically turn the device on. You don't need to connect it after unless you drain the battery. I charged my smart watch last on dec 1, but don't connect to the phone either. It measures heart rate and a few other things

. (Hence, chest straps are out because I cannot see them when in motion; nor do I want to screw around with putting on and taking off).
I have a Garmin Instinct 2 that I wear, upwards of 28 day battery life. Has HR but I found it inaccurate while cycling so I got the chest strap. Now it reads properly. Thing is, when I go hike or bike, I have to wear proper attire—whats one more thing to put on? I get it, not the most fun thing to wear, and its yet another thing, but works quite well.

We’ve had fitbits and for wife, they tend to be replaced at least once while in warranty. For me, lack of chest strap support made me give up on them.

Be Leary heart rate is inaccurate on most of them . You might want to read reviews or use aux heart rate sensor for accurate measurement if that actually matters.

I haven't bothered to confirm if low cost ones are as accurate as high cost.
1.5 years of going to Orange Theory wearing their Heart Rate Monitor which was lower cost and my Apple Watch 7 (I now have a Apple Watch 9) at the same time, the Heart Rate was always the same or within 2 BPM at any given time.

This was working out and sweating with a starting Heart Rate of as low as 65 BPM and peaks as high as 182 BPM I have noticed there were two MAYBE three occurrences where the heart rate showed higher (as a peak) by 10 BPM in the 170 BPM range on the less expensive Orange Theory Device meaning the Orange Theory Device showed 10 BPM more than the watch. But that was over a 1.5 year period and it was "one off stuff" meaning just a peak rate reading and only happened a couple times and I actually just noticed it after see the above statement.
So pretty accurate and actually amazing when you are working out and the Orange Theory Device device connected to your arm is transmitting real time data via bluetooth with up to or slightly more than 16 other people wearing the same device and recording it all, sometimes in that system there are hiccups but not to many. There are times that they disconnect from the system in the gym.

Even on hospital equipment you will get a blimp here or there. I do promote anyone with a regular BP home device and HR device to be able to bring it to the Dr office and compare to what readings they get.
Anyway, they are useful for working out and most agree pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Back