need help choosing small concealed carry pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It looks like roughly 2/3rds of the states require you to disclose if asked.

Of course IF ASKED

Originally Posted By: jkasch
In Michigan, I'm pretty sure they know if you have a CCW as soon as they run your plate.

I'm sure this is the case in MOST states (that issue concealed carry permits, anyway). If the permit is obtained through a local government activity of some kind (courthouse, sheriff's office, etc), you can be fairly certain that information is cross-linked with DMV and officers have that data available to them when they run your plate through their computer.

An officer may not know you're carrying if you two pass on the sidewalk, but if it's a case where they've stopped you for some reason and your plate is checked, they already know the deal.

West Virginia just recently passed a constitutional carry law, which does away with any kind of permitting whatsoever. All citizens have a right to bear arms, and the state does not permit that activity. In that case, an officer wouldn't know whether you have a firearm on you unless he or she asked you. But in states where that activity is permitted, they more than likely know before they ask...

With tensions running so high today in most all police departments because of all the killings, it's far wiser to admit to carrying, THEN FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. Then for a cop to find out on his own. If that happens, and he then asks, "Why didn't you tell me you are carrying a weapon"?... No matter what answer you give, it's going to be a poor one, that will automatically put you on the defensive. It's always best if the burden of explanation doesn't immediately shift to you. Slick talk like, "Because it's my right!", will just aggravate most cops.

Informing a cop you're carrying when not required is a good way to get disarmed, having a cop fumbling around with your weapon, having the numbers ran, gun put back in trunk, cop asking you a bunch of stupid questions, etc. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Informing a cop you're carrying when not required is a good way to get disarmed, having a cop fumbling around with your weapon, having the numbers ran, gun put back in trunk, cop asking you a bunch of stupid questions, etc. No thanks.

That's nonsense. Are you foolish enough to think he isn't going to find out? Cops aren't stupid. He's going to find out regardless if you tell him or not. Either, 1.) You tell him. Or, 2.) He finds out when he runs your plate. (Which he'll most likely do before he leaves his vehicle and approaches you). Or else 3.) He'll flat out ask you. The point is no matter what, if you're stopped while carrying a weapon, the cop stopping you is going to know it before the stop ends. Cops don't like surprises. If you give him one, it's only going to get worse from there. Then you are going to get a lot more, "stupid questions" asked of you. Only now the tone he uses when asking them isn't going to be any more to your liking.

I can think of a few officers who might handle it that way, newer guys mostly but that would be the exception rather than the rule at least here. I understand Illinois is pretty anti-gun though.

I don't ask unless things are starting to move beyond a basic traffic stop or it is starting to look like I might have someone more than basic John Q good citizen stopped. I have had many CCW holders that put their hands on the steering wheel when I approach and tell me they were CCW when I walked up. My response is "thank you, leave your weapon where it is" and we proceed with the stop.

I have never been concerned about law abiding citizens with guns, it is criminals with guns who commit the crimes that would try to hurt me or others I focus on.

If you are not comfortable telling him you are carrying, simply hand him your permit with your drivers license and registration. He'll then know without you saying a word.

Originally Posted By: billt460

That's nonsense. Are you foolish enough to think he isn't going to find out? Cops aren't stupid. He's going to find out regardless if you tell him or not. Either, 1.) You tell him. Or, 2.) He finds out when he runs your plate. (Which he'll most likely do before he leaves his vehicle and approaches you). Or else 3.) He'll flat out ask you. The point is no matter what, if you're stopped while carrying a weapon, the cop stopping you is going to know it before the stop ends. Cops don't like surprises. If you give him one, it's only going to get worse from there. Then you are going to get a lot more, "stupid questions" asked of you. Only now the tone he uses when asking them isn't going to be any more to your liking.
What kind of violations are you being stopped for? The police don't conduct investigations for routine traffic offenses. Inserting variables for no reason is dumb. If the cop flips out because you didn't inform him he was probably going to do stupid stuff if you did. You do your thing and I'll do mine. I haven't been pulled over in almost 20 years so this isn't a big issue for me.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I can think of a few officers who might handle it that way, newer guys mostly but that would be the exception rather than the rule at least here. I understand Illinois is pretty anti-gun though.

I don't ask unless things are starting to move beyond a basic traffic stop or it is starting to look like I might have someone more than basic John Q good citizen stopped. I have had many CCW holders that put their hands on the steering wheel when I approach and tell me they were CCW when I walked up. My response is "thank you, leave your weapon where it is" and we proceed with the stop.

I have never been concerned about law abiding citizens with guns, it is criminals with guns who commit the crimes that would try to hurt me or others I focus on.
Several people I know locally have informed and been ran through the wringer.

That's nonsense

As usual your opinions don't carry much weight. Do what you please. Don't [censored] when you are disarmed. Enjoy being a sheeple

And if they didn't inform, do you honestly think the cop would have simply walked away, being satisfied not knowing? Point being, one way or the other, they are going to find out. Especially if you reside in a carry state like Arizona, that does not require a permit to carry. They are either going to ask, or you are going to tell... Or both.

Originally Posted By: Al
Enjoy being a sheeple

It has nothing to do with "being a sheeple". It's called common sense and courtesy. Try it sometime. That is if you can manage to lose that attitude of yours for 5 minutes.

And if they didn't inform, do you honestly think the cop would have simply walked away, being satisfied not knowing? Point being, one way or the other, they are going to find out. Especially if you reside in a carry state like Arizona, that does not require a permit to carry. They are either going to ask, or you are going to tell... Or both.
Yes, they would have wrote ticket/issued warning/whatever and went on about their day. The police around here don't typically ask if you have a gun during routine traffic stops. YMMV

What kind of violations are you being stopped for?

It doesn't matter. If you are carrying a gun, along with a permit, (assuming your state requires it), it's simple information the cop is going to feel better about knowing than not. He doesn't know you or your intentions. If you inform him, (before he finds out on his own), it lessens any tension that might exist. Put yourself in the cops position, especially today. Information along with compliance will only serve to work in your favor. Why your being stopped has nothing to do with the cop stopping you from knowing you're armed.

Yes, they would have wrote ticket/issued warning/whatever and went on about their day. The police around here don't typically ask if you have a gun during routine traffic stops.

And you obviously acquired this information from not being stopped in almost 20 years.
confused2.gif

I haven't been pulled over in almost 20 years.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back