Need heat shield for Aftermarket Catalytic Converter

The Catalytic Converter was stolen on my cousin’s 03 Accord 2.4. Since she did not carry comprehensive coverage, I replaced the catalytic converter and front pipe with “direct-fit” Walker parts that are listed on the recent CARB exemption bulletin.

The catalytic converter is a Walker #82895 and came with a preinstalled heat shield. After driving for an extended period of time, the center console and cup holder area of the vehicle feel warm. I think this is due to an inadequate heat shield. Walker’s tech support said the heat shield is sufficient for this application, I disagree. Unfortunately the unit also lacks brackets for the OEM heat shield to be used.

Here are some photos of the Walker catalytic converter on the vehicle. Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation are welcomed, but an OEM unit is not in the budget.

0232AF26-BA97-4383-A46D-132FA62FA5FB.jpeg

0B1334FC-214B-4DBB-8ED8-005663D86BCE.jpeg

I did some research and found this product:

I think I will give it a try unless someone has a better idea?

I’d use an IR gun to get a good measurement. When you reach into the center console is it hotter at the bottom than the sides?

Every car's floor is hot above the cats. Unless you're an automotive engineer, it would feel hot, but I'd think the manufacturer has designed it to work properly like that. They don't want any product liability cases.

I’d use an IR gun to get a good measurement. When you reach into the center console is it hotter at the bottom than the sides?
Haven't reached inside the console, but the cupholders that are part of the assembly are warm.

The newer cars don’t even have heat shields anymore.
Perhaps there is more insulation material on the floor?

Is it possible for the aftermarket cat to have higher temps due to design differences?

Every car's floor is hot above the cats. Unless you're an automotive engineer, it would feel hot, but I'd think the manufacturer has designed it to work properly like that. They don't want any product liability cases.
It was not an issue with the OE cat. This is a new issue after installing the aftermarket cat.

What does the OE heat shield look like?

Id probably just go to HD and get some 22 ga steel, figure out how to put some really short bolts through it as standoffs, and then install it with a big ss hose clamps wrapped around the steel and the converter.

Any other symptoms, like does it go tick-tick-tick after shutdown?

Did the thieves unbolt the old cat? Considerate.

The cat is new and possibly more effective than the old one. Add the fact the car is 19 model years old, the cat might be working harder, thus running hotter to deal with a dirtier running engine. The cat might mask the imperfect tune if the car still passes emissions testing.

I'm going with this theory. There's the Walker shield over the cat plus an additional one under the body.

What does the OE heat shield look like?

Any other symptoms, like does it go tick-tick-tick after shutdown?

Did the thieves unbolt the old cat? Considerate.
No ticking. And yes, they unbolted the cat. The only item they cut was the rear o2 sensor. Everything else was either unplugged or unbolted.

I'm going with this theory. There's the Walker shield over the cat plus an additional one under the body.
It is possible, but the OEM shield is much more substantial than the Walker one:

After about 5-6 years, the shields normally rust through around the salt belt and we would always just rip them off. Has never been an issue heat wise, again because all the newer cars don’t even come with heat shields. Maybe just due to new cat and new sensors and the PCM just needs some miles to balance out fuel trims. Maybe running rich for a bit. I have seen a bad secondary O2 causing the vehicle to run so rich it would actually stall the motor.

Maybe just due to new cat and new sensors and the PCM just needs some miles to balance out fuel trims. Maybe running rich for a bit. I have seen a bad secondary O2 causing the vehicle to run so rich it would actually stall the motor.
That seems like a reasonable theory. I did do a PCM reset with my Autel after the repair. For now, I shipped it. This is my cousin's car so I will have her return in a few hundred miles for a recheck.

Excessive heat is getting past the shield mounted to the body of the car? Are you sure the heat isn't coming from the flex pipe section?

Unless the heat felt in the interior is dangerously or uncomfortably hot, I'd leave it alone.

Back