Need CAR tire help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all!

I have a quick question I hope you can help me with. I'm trying to help my sister-in-law find tires for her Pontiac G5. It is either a 2007 or 2008. I don't know the exact wheel size at this time, but I'm certain she just wants a factory size replacement tire.

Here is my problem. I've never owned a car in my life. I've only owned trucks. So, I've never considered a car tire purchase before, and I know nothing about them.

We live in North Idaho, so we get the full gamete of weather around here. It will be 105* in the summer, snow 4 feet over night in the winter, and we'll get 12 straight days of rain in the fall and spring.

She is looking for a basic all around tire that will do well in all of those situations. She isn't a race car driver, so how sticky the tire is really isn't that important. Wear and tire life is important obviously.

She just started her first year of college and doesn't have a fortune to spend. Would like to stay around $150-160 per tire if possible.

What are you recommendations? Thanks in advance for the help folks!

Pirelli P4 4 seasons would probably be my first choice. A true 4 seasons capable tire with very good snow traction.

If you have Discount Tire near by, the Pirelli Cinturato P5 (a Discount Tire specific made by Pirelli similar to the P4), and the Yokohama Avid Touring S - both great tires and will be in the $110 price range.

Where do you have nearby to shop? Is there a Sams/Costco? This will influence the tires you can get.

That is a lot of money for tires for that car, even out the door. So, maybe that will be a pleasant surprise for her.

Pontiac G5 has 2 OEM wheel sizes 15" and 16", you need to know which wheel size is on her car.

For 15" wheel the tire size is 195/60-15, Yokohama Avid Touring S can be had for $53 + shipping from Tirerack. Other good all season car tires are: Yokohama AVID TRZ, BFGoodrich Traction T/A, General Altimax RT, Kumho Solus KR21 and Pirelli P4 Four Seasons. All these tires should lasted more than 40k miles and cost $60 or less, except Pirelli P4 Four Seasons at $76, plus shipping from Tirerack.

Thanks guys!

I'm betting that it is the 16" from memory. They appear to be the higher "trim" level wheels that I would expect on a car like that. I should know later for sure.

We have several local places that offer tires. I'm also a former employee of the Ford dealership, so I have a few friends in the parts department that could probably order what I'm looking for.

Yes, there is also a costco about 30 miles from here. A good source?

Seems like the general consusus is the Pirelli P4 are decent tires? I've always heard good things about Pirellis, but they really don't offer much in the fullsize pickup line.. so I've never owned a set.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
If you check Tire Rack or Discount Tire on line you can see ratings.

But if I did that I wouldn't get to spend the afternoon with my friends on Bob is the Oil Guy!

I generally trust the opinions of folks on this site more than the average feller behind a key-board.. I wouldn't say completely trust the opinions.. just trust them more!
wink.gif

If you really get a lot of snow, and you're serious about winter driving, I would get her Nokian WR. You'll pay closer to a $100 per tire for them, but they'll beat the snot out of all the all-season tires mentioned in this thread. It'll also do fine during summer, as long as you don't drive very aggressively. Treadlife is not bad at all, either.

Go to nokiantires.com to find your local dealer.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Hey Pete, do Nokian WRs have a tread wear warranty?

Not that I know of, but they do have 400 treadwear rating, which is not bad. We got 30k+ miles out of one set, but that's because a lot of it was in Texas. Had they been used up north, they would have lasted longer.

So you've had WRs? I'm seriously considering getting some for my Corolla. I've praised the BFG Precept Touring tires on it now for their winter prowess for an all season tire, but they are wearing like rocks and it seems like the tread has become rock stiff in cold weather. They have about 30,000 miles and have hardly any wear. I've had tires do this before and I had to ditch them long before the tread wore out because the rubber becomes to dry and hard.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I've had tires do this before and I had to ditch them long before the tread wore out because the rubber becomes to dry and hard.

I think this will be the case with most tires. Time will do its thing, and they'll eventually harden. I experienced the same with winter Michelin Pilot Alpins a while back. They weren't all that great to begin with, but it seems that after a few winters, they became even less sticky in the white stuff, despite no noticeable wear.

We had WR in size 195/65/15 on the Jetta. My parents also have them in size 205/50/16 on their V40. Nokian has since released the WR-G2, but I'm not sure how they compare to the original WR. All in all, if you don't want to deal with two sets of tires (summer and winter), then WR is the next best thing. Just take it easy on them during summer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you really get a lot of snow, and you're serious about winter driving, I would get her Nokian WR. You'll pay closer to a $100 per tire for them, but they'll beat the snot out of all the all-season tires mentioned in this thread. It'll also do fine during summer, as long as you don't drive very aggressively. Treadlife is not bad at all, either.

Go to nokiantires.com to find your local dealer.

+1

Unless she wants to purchase a separate set of winter tires on steel wheels, then in her locale, I'd go with the WRs.

I'm going to recomended against Pirelli. I've had poor experience with every Pirelli I've used. They're noisy, or bad snow traction, or they tend to go out of round. I had good luck with Goodyear such as the Eagle LS and LS2 and BfGoodrich Traction T/A. Although the traction T/As can ride a little harder and are noisier.

If you are willing to pay over $115 a tire both Goodyear and Michelin make a top of the line touring tire that focuses on extremely long wear life and great traction in rain, snow etc. Can't remember the name but most stores carry them.

I would advise against General Altimax RT's. Had them on my '06 Chevy Impala. Only got 21,000 miles on them and they were all evenly worn. Just wore quickly. Terrible in the winter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back