Need a laptop - Cyber Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a laptop for HD movies and web surfing, games if I can afford it but if I can't it's not a deal breaker.

What size? Is portability important, or would you be willing to give some up for a bigger display, like a 15"?

No pref on size 14 or 15.6 would be fine. I don't think a 17" is in my price range for what I am looking for.

Keep an eye on dealnews.com They list great deals all the time.

What's your budget? Most of the new Sandy and Ivybridge processors' integrated graphics can handle streaming HD just fine, but games are another story. You'll want a laptop with a dedicated graphics card for any sort of meaningful gaming.

To compare graphics cards and CPU's, check out passmark.com

I've got a small laptop with a lowly AMD E-350 APU (CPU and GPU combined,) and it's PERFECT for what I need it to do: surf the interwebs, stream HD occasionally, be portable and have great battery life. While reviews were posted showing 30+ fps at mid settings on 2+ year old games, it definitely isn't meant for gaming.

So, you've got to figure out whether this will be mostly a desktop replacement or something portable, whether you want great gaming prowess or good battery life. My old 17" laptop played all of the newest games on mid-high settings just fine, but it was very heavy (not what I'd consider portable at all) and the battery only lasted maybe 2 hours while gaming, just over 3 if I was just surfing the web.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Keep an eye on dealnews.com They list great deals all the time.

What's your budget? Most of the new Sandy and Ivybridge processors' integrated graphics can handle streaming HD just fine, but games are another story. You'll want a laptop with a dedicated graphics card for any sort of meaningful gaming.

To compare graphics cards and CPU's, check out passmark.com

I've got a small laptop with a lowly AMD E-350 APU (CPU and GPU combined,) and it's PERFECT for what I need it to do: surf the interwebs, stream HD occasionally, be portable and have great battery life. While reviews were posted showing 30+ fps at mid settings on 2+ year old games, it definitely isn't meant for gaming.

So, you've got to figure out whether this will be mostly a desktop replacement or something portable, whether you want great gaming prowess or good battery life. My old 17" laptop played all of the newest games on mid-high settings just fine, but it was very heavy (not what I'd consider portable at all) and the battery only lasted maybe 2 hours while gaming, just over 3 if I was just surfing the web.

+1 here
your not gonan find one with SSD for less than 800 bucks ,

forcus on either getting intel i3/i5 that is light and looks good for 400-500 bucks

or get an AMD E-series for less than 300 for VERY basic use. ( internet , word docs , youtube )

90% of people over spend because it must be "good"

I am using a 4 year old refurb labtop with SSD in there , its faster than most labtops i see around because of simple upgrade. I can run a single game , but i can run prototyping ( solid works ) , programing ( visual studios ) , and everything net related in a snap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Looking for a laptop for HD movies and web surfing, games if I can afford it but if I can't it's not a deal breaker.

For that, why not a tablet?

Ok, I am looking for good battery life and something portable, will mostly be used for web surfing and watching movies and dvds on it. Budget is $300 to $500. Have been eyeballing http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+ENVY+Touch-Screen+Ultrabook+14%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Midnight+Black/6879218.p?id=1218810021588&skuId=6879218&st=Cyber_Sale_Computers_100928&cp=1&lp=1 but don't know if it's worth the cost.

Last edited:
I just prefer laptops due to superior storage capacity and I like the tactile feedback of a keyboard and mouse. I feel that tablets are a bit overpriced currently also. I have looked at them, just haven't liked what I've seen. Will be using the laptop while traveling out of country to Vietnam occasionally and there is a serious lack of wifi over there. Will be using the laptop to watch movies offline more than I'll be streaming them.

Saw this posted on deals site. $399 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+15.6%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/6913616.p?id=1218812665125&skuId=6913616

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Saw this posted on deals site. $399 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+15.6%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/6913616.p?id=1218812665125&skuId=6913616

Also there's a deal to get $25 coupon code if you do store pickup when ordering. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promo...cat288300050007

Ah just saw Critic's post with the the slickdeals link, it's the same deal for the coupon but different laptop, I just saw it on a different site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back