Need a filter recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse (4 cyl) for my daughter. I just did an oil change and put on a Purolater L14610 filter. I noticed that the old filter (Defense - never heard of it) had ten holes surrounding the center hole. The Purolater only has eight and they are smaller in size. So now I'm concerned about flow. Any suggestions for a filter that has larger and more holes like the Defense? I realize that the obvious answer is to get another Defense, but I have never seen one in a store and don't know of their quality.
Thanks for any help.

Nothing to worry about. If you're still worried, add up the total open area of the smaller holes, and then find the total open area of the bigger(outlet), Which total area is bigger?

I can't add up the areas now since the new filter is already on the car, but I think I get the idea.
If I could do the math, I'd have to go way back in time. I have not had to find the area of a circle in at least a hundred years. Would that be pie are square?

Quote:

Would that be pie are square?

Good one
laugh.gif
I gotta remember that.

You're not alone in your concerns about flow potentials. The most challenging obstacle to oil flow is the engine. The filter is nothing in comparison. Not an easy concept to grasp.

Quote:

Your daughter is really lucky, those are nice cars, and not cheap either! Hope she has good luck with it
smile.gif

No doubt. My first ride was an Orange 1980 Dodge Colt...that would be Mopar Orange.
laugh.gif

I got kind of lucky, my first car was a '96 Cavalier but since it wasn't technically "mine" (it was to be shared with my sister) I didn't have to get stuck paying for it, and we sold it in short order. Kept breaking down all the time, then I bought myself a '98 Nissan Altima and had a nice, trouble-free ride for a little over 2 years until I sold it and got the car I have now
smile.gif

Pie are round aren't they???

Sorry you started math jokes... AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

My first ride was a 1990 Suzuki Swift I bought brand spanking new.

Drove it 65K before I sold it and loved it. 41 MPG mixed driving and never left me stranded, EVER!!!

Get an Amsoil if available and forget it.

Quote:

I bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse (4 cyl) for my daughter. I just did an oil change and put on a Purolater L14610 filter. I noticed that the old filter (Defense - never heard of it) had ten holes surrounding the center hole. The Purolater only has eight and they are smaller in size. So now I'm concerned about flow. Any suggestions for a filter that has larger and more holes like the Defense? I realize that the obvious answer is to get another Defense, but I have never seen one in a store and don't know of their quality.
Thanks for any help.

I would say you are getting overly concerned . The filter is fine ,You have way much more to worry about then holes in a filter.

For what it's worth, I used a supertech on my last OCI and it only had 5 holes compared to the 8 on the Honda OEM A01 filter i'm using now. My last OCI (while short) had well below average wear metals and I wouldn't be worried about the filter if it has less holes. It protected my engine just fine
smile.gif

Quote:

Steve S - What do you mean by "You have way much more to worry about then holes in a filter."

An oil filter will really not make a whole lot of difference in the whole picture of engine life " air filter is much more important" and other things in life should be worried about.

Was the defense filter white? The reason I ask is because defense filters are the walmart house brand in Canada. It could be the same thing. If it is, its an ultra cheap fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back