Need a filter reccomendation. Can't do pureone anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a purolator (the more expensive one, pureone???) and I get somewhat regular/occasional startup noise with it. Anyone have a recommendation for a filter?
I hear so much about ecore and people having doubts about them? I have one on my mom's car but I don't really have too much loyalty to STP...

Just use the regular purolater filter.

Wix(or Napa/Carquest/...clones) is another option.

Bosch is also in that price range.

Or, get some Baldwin/Hastings/....filters.

quote:

I think Wix has the best ADBV in the business, IMHO.

Best Bypass Valve, too. (Which can, especially in the cold, contribute to startup noise if it is not opening enough when needed.)

Kind of hard to find Wix, though. NAPA Gold equivalent is expensive. Personally, I don't want to buy $50 of filters online to get a good deal.

I'm thinking E-core would be a good choice from what I know of it.

quote:

Originally posted by aualtima3.5:
I have been using a purolator (the more expensive one, pureone???) and I get somewhat regular/occasional startup noise with it. Anyone have a recommendation for a filter?
I hear so much about ecore and people having doubts about them? I have one on my mom's car but I don't really have too much loyalty to STP...

It's difficult to recommend a Motorcraft filter to you without knowing your year, make & model. These filters are not made for every vehicle.

Car is 2002 Nissan Altima with the 3.5 liter V6 (vq35de)

Yeah, I can't find wix anywhere around here. And baldwin, same situation as wix.

Purolator Premium Plus or a rebrand of the same should do a good job. If you have any decent availability on a PF1237, AC Delco is an option too.

"i personally use the PureOne before anything else but a lot of people say they compare to the Mobil1 filter."

Based on my testing, the Mobile 1 had an average pore size of 52µm, the Pure one was 42µm and the regular Purolator was 57µm. So it's a little closer to the regular Purolator filter.

I experience start up noise with my '04 Altima 2.5 S regardless of the oil filter I use,(rubber of silicone ADBV). I often get start up noise even if I park the car on an angle leaning toward the oil filter,(passenger side). I am starting to beleive that the real problem is the timing chain tentioner and not the ADBV in the oil filter. This is where timing belts were more quite. Also, all winter long after a cold start, I will hear the timing chain rattle for a minute while driving away under a lite load,(no more than 35mph). I'll even let the engine warm up in the drive way until I adjust the mirrors and buckle up. I've read on other web sites of owners having the dealership replace the tentioner under warrante, to no avail. So therefore Iam reluctant to have my dealer mess with my car when there is nothing else wrong with the rest of the car. If this is the only issue that I have, I can live with it!

yeah purolatorpureone fitlers are rated as being VERY restrictive/very low oil flow. i havea playmouth neon, and have found out becuae purolaotrs are a neons fitler of choice. the premiumplus though. the premiumplus is rated at 10 to 20 microns, and has excellent oil flow. mobile1 has alot of media in the fitler, but in the middle oil flow(about as good as a full synthetic oil filter is gunna get). i owuld recommend Amsoil oil filters. thier about $13.00 each, but have Excellent, if not above te best in oil flow, and are rated at 7 to 10 microns(i called them ad found out). only poblem is, thier $13.00 or more. stay away form fram, their terrible, very lo oil flow, and lack of media. Wix filters are really good to. and so are NAPA golds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back