Napa Syn - not as good as Synpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I keep reading on this forum that Napa Syn. is made by Ashland, same as Valvoline Synpower, but it has a weaker additive package.

So your telling me it's cheaper to put in a less additives and do a complete new mix, than just changing out the bottles on the conveyer ?

Can you guy's who keep saying this please post in writing where you saw this?

I can't believe the additives would be that expensive to out weigh the cost of running a complete new run of different oil.

I'm thinking whoever is saying this heard it from their 2nd cousin's best friend who works for Ashland.

Originally Posted By: sHERM
So, I keep reading on this forum that Napa Syn. is made by Ashland, same as Valvoline Synpower, but it has a weaker additive package.

So your telling me it's cheaper to put in a less additives and do a complete new mix, than just changing out the bottles on the conveyer ?

Can you guy's who keep saying this please post in writing where you saw this?

I can't believe the additives would be that expensive to out weigh the cost of running a complete new run of different oil.

I'm thinking whoever is saying this heard it from their 2nd cousin's best friend who works for Ashland.

Or just looking at the VOAs and UOA where napa has aroud 1700ppm of Calcium and synpower has over 2000ppm Calcium, Napa around 250 sodium, synpower 400ppm sodium.

This is quoted in this thread.

I just got this from Ashland. Sounds like the NAPA synth is a really good oil.

How similar is NAPA synthetic to Synpower? Also,how would the NAPA synthetic 15W50 compare to Mobil 1 15W50? Reason I ask,is that the NAPA synth goes on sale at a really good price and the M1 15W50 can be hard to find and/or expensive. Do you have a material data sheet you can email me for the NAPA synth 15W50 (that lists the viscosity,zddp,moly,flash point,pour point,etc)? Thanks.

Most Recent Update:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support with your motor oil question.

The NAPA Synthetic Motor Oil and the Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil are both derived from the same base stocks, however, the additive and detergency package may vary between products.

The NAPA Full Synthetic 15w-50 does meet and exceed all the API service ratings listed on the container. Valvoline uses a superior additive package on top of the use of the highest quality base stocks available.

To locate MSDS sheets for our products we request that you visit www.ashlandmsds.com. With the product part number, you will be able to pull up PDF files containing MSDS information.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL for assistance. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline and have a great day.

http://msds.ashland.com/msds-ext/materialSearch.do

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2640892&page=2

Last edited:
Its possible Ashland makes a similar product for some other home brand (Parts Plus,Car Quest....) and then slaps the NAPA label onto that.

I think all they are doing is altering the amount of additive ratio per qt or however they do it. Would be very easy to since all it should take is a few keystrokes to alter the concentration.

Base stocks matter alot and it seems that they continue to use the excellent base oils that synpower uses. For a 5~7k oci, in a clean engine , that oil is one of the best bang for buck deals today.

Also, whoever has a problem with having Sodium in the addpack, I implore you to check my other thread where I have pics from under my valve cover. Seems it helps keep things pretty clean.

Originally Posted By: volk06

....The NAPA Synthetic Motor Oil and the Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil are both derived from the same base stocks, however, the additive and detergency package may vary between products.

I think the key word here is "may".

There's no way Ashland is going to say the less expensive Napa oil is exactly the same as the higher cost, higher profit Valvoline product. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Even if they do tinker with the add pack for the Napa version, they're not going to make it a junk oil. Napa is too big a cash cow for them. Too much to loose.

My thoughts are the two oils are close enough to be the same.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: volk06

....The NAPA Synthetic Motor Oil and the Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil are both derived from the same base stocks, however, the additive and detergency package may vary between products.

I think the key word here is "may".

There's no way Ashland is going to say the less expensive Napa oil is exactly the same as the higher cost, higher profit Valvoline product. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Even if they do tinker with the add pack for the Napa version, they're not going to make it a junk oil. Napa is too big a cash cow for them. Too much to loose.

My thoughts are the two oils are close enough to be the same.

Joel

they aren't though. Look at the data sheets and VOA. They clearly have different additive packages. Does that make the Napa synthetic "worse"? I hope not, because it's all I've used in my mom's Impala!

LOL! I hear that Drew. I've used a lot of Napa Synthetic the last bunch of years. I grab it when it's on sale. Unfortunately, Napa and Carquest are all I've got unless I want to drive 20+ miles round-trip.

Joel

I wouldn't hesitate using NAPA syn or conventional oils. I have before many moons ago when i was a Valvoline user, buy NAPA oils if they were out of Valvoline or my grade choice.

Last edited:
They are not adding additives by hand with a teaspoon.
An operator simply pushes a button for a computer to control the additive amounts.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
They are not adding additives by hand with a teaspoon.
An operator simply pushes a button for a computer to control the additive amounts.

Really I was thinking they used an eyedropper.

The NAPA branded oil appears to have a somewhat less robust add pack than does Synpower.
Given that Synpower produces unmatched low wear metals in UOAs on moderate drain intervals, I'd expect the same of the NAPA branded oil.
The NAPA synthetic is not a long drain oil, but Synpower isn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back