NAPA GOLD or AMSOIL EaO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of two things prominent in my mind:

1. Availability - off the shelf or online exclusive
2. short or long intervals - the shorter the OCI, the less need for more elite filtration.

As far as quality and fitness of use, I will let someone way more knowledgeable then me to answer that one. I am more focused on the 4-5 dollar range of oil filters where I believe the real value area is at. Especially if you consider some pretty good oil filters are in the 3-5 dollar range like Fram Tough guard and Motor Craft. Again, I am basing my choices from my perspective, who has bought nothing but stock dealer filters so my next evolution lies in this price range and my OCIs are around 5k so less need.

Last edited:
Napa gold/ WIX filters are some of the best filters on the market. I am not just saying that because I sell them. Do a search on Napa Gold/ Wix filters and you find out what everyone else think.
Bryan

I used the Trasko bypass type oil filter prior to the Amsoil EaO filter. Comparing both filters, after 2000 miles the oil became clearer than what was in the bottle. Trasko filter did have flow restriction, it filtered better when in city driving, you would notice the oil becoming more filtered. The EaO filter has no flow restriction and seem to filter in any type of driving condition. Trasko filter last about 10,000 miles max and you would need to change the element out. Kept the oil and engine clean. Comparing with the Amsoil SDF and K&N filter, the Trasko I felt kept the oil cleaner, thus cleaner engine.

I've got about 13,000 miles with the Amsoil 0w-30 which is my 4th run and the oil is still clean with the EaO filter! In fact it's been over 1 year. Judging from the looks of the oil and the oil performance, I feel it would be a waste to change the oil out and will extended it another 5,000 miles.

The filter is worth the cost. I use Amsoil for extended drain intervals..This is the best spin on oil filter I've experienced!

Quote:

which is best?
is there that much difference between the two?

I've used both. And FWIW I've found the EaO's to be far superior. That's not to say that the NAPA Gold weren't good filters (they were). It's just the the EaO's are EXCELLENT filters (whereas the NAPA Gold are "merely good").

Now, will that really matter? I suppose that depends a little on your OCI. If you really want clean oil and/or you run longer oil change intervals, get the Amsoil filter, you will be glad you did. OTOH if you are planning to run a more traditional (short) oil change interval, the NAPA Gold will likely be "good enough", and has the advantage of being easy to buy at a corner store.

BTW: I currently use the EaO's myself. In fact, I like the EaO filtration so much, that I'm letting some of my older NAPA Gold filters (that I had previously stocked up on, during a NAPA sale) sit in a box unused (just so I can use the better EaO filters on my vehicles). But then again, I like using extra good oil filtration (among other things, it allows you to go for longer oil change intervals, as it "keeps the junk out" of the oil)...

Experience has shown me that the EAO is the only way to go. Mobil 1 filters are, again from experience, a close second.

my engines do not like any wix or napa filters 2 98 4.6's and 5.4 especially in the winter.....they like amzoil, donaldson,(makes amzoil's eao)motorcraft, k&n,and ford racing filters these filters at startup, in the winter, have no startup noise on frigid mornings

If Donaldson makes Amzoils EaO filters, Why are there stacks of them comming off our assembly lines? I'd sure like to know.

Quote:

I can think of two things prominent in my mind:

1. Availability - off the shelf or online exclusive

Best solution for availability factor is to order more than one EaO. For next OCI, filter will then be readily available.

hi pete, i wanted to check my info. to make sure i was giving correct info...i called donaldson and tech support said "donaldson does make alot of amzoil filters but so do other companies like wix" thank you for bringing that up.

I gotta agree 1000% with that one Sarge!!!

banana.gif
bowdown2.gif
drool.gif
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back