Difference between these 2 Napa filters?

White one is a Napa pro select. Black is a Napa gold. Exact same weight! One would think that if they had different paper inside that the weight would be different.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_195726386.jpg
    IMG_20230617_195726386.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230617_195744230.jpg
    IMG_20230617_195744230.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 85
What's the actual difference between the two? The construction and/or materials? Going by the display, your scale has a resolution of only 0.1 oz/2.8 g. Even if the filter medium is different between the two filters the difference in weight may not be more than a gram or two and the scale may not display a different weight. Also, what's the accuracy of your scale? Does it accurately measure an 0.1 oz difference? Have you calibrated the scale with an appropriate weight?

What's the actual difference between the two? The construction and/or materials? Going by the display, your scale has a resolution of only 0.1 oz/2.8 g. Even if the filter medium is different between the two filters the difference in weight may not be more than a gram or two and the scale may not display a different weight. Also, what's the accuracy of your scale? Does it accurately measure an 0.1 oz difference? Have you calibrated the scale with an appropriate weight?
It's my ac scale. I'll check it tomorrow with the weight. Never had any trouble from it yet

Looks like the scale has a resolution of 0.01 oz, not 0.1 oz. Even if the scale wasn't calibrated accurately, it's still saying both filters weight the same. IMO, I think it's just a rear coincidence that they both weigh the same. If you cut them open and weighed all the components separately, you'd probably find the differences.

Right, the resolution of the scale is 0.01 oz. That's 0.28 g. Maybe one filter medium is lighter but the spring is heavier? Different endcap material? The different materials and/or construction may result in the exact same weight down to an a trivial difference, as unlikely as this may be. Or the scale does not resolve as fine as expected.

He would have to cut both open and weigh each individual component to see how they compare to find out what's really going on. As it sits, the scale says they both weigh exactly the same as a filter assembly (regardless of the scale accuracy or resolution).

That is quite the coincidence I will agree.

AC scales tend to be at worst very repeatable - which makes it even more strange.

Do they look identical looking down the hole? If they look identical, its possible there built the same with different media?

Maybe more media in the lesser filter to make up for the poorer efficiency (so to speak)?

I can’t see that making much of a difference though. Do they have the same style bypass?

The only differences are probably the filter media and the ADBV material.
Which combined are only a tiny fraction of the weight of a spin-on filter. The difference between two different media grades would be even smaller. Most of the weight is steel.

Back