NAPA GOLD.....Maybe not....

This Company states "Why we had to make a change" but really seems to just want Wix products. I see no requirement for them to have done this time waster. Obviously, the Gold & Microgard filters are excellent filters so there was no issue here just preference by this shop. My ongoing speculation is that PG offers the parts chains high quality filters at lower price points than M+H along with in-house branded labels. Napa has been moving towards this change for the last couple years now.

This Company states "Why we had to make a change" but really seems to just want Wix products. I see no requirement for them to have done this time waster. Obviously, the Gold & Microgard filters are excellent filters so there was no issue here just preference by this shop. My ongoing speculation is that PG offers the parts chains high quality filters at lower price points than M+H along with in-house branded labels. Napa has been moving towards this change for the last couple years now.
Seems like he spelled it out very well why he does use the WIX filter and actually showed the difference very clearly...IMO

Seems like he spelled it out very well why he does use the WIX filter and actually showed the difference very clearly...IMO
Pointing out how that WIX looked better? He said he wasn't going to get into the quality of the others so kind of. The video does have some information regarding what these products look like cut open though.

Pointing out how that WIX looked better? He said he wasn't going to get into the quality of the others so kind of. The video does have some information regarding what these products look like cut open though.
and that is the point...He showed what was inside...

If I’m buying a canister oil filter, it WILL NOT be a WIX. The quality has fallen off since their purchase by Mann+Hummel. Purolatoritis has infected the product line. For a cartridge type filter, WIX is still okay because you can see what you are buying.
I suspect NAPA had two reasons for dropping WIX as their supplier. One was price and the other was quality.

If I’m buying a canister oil filter, it WILL NOT be a WIX. The quality has fallen off since their purchase by Mann+Hummel. Purolatoritis has infected the product line. For a cartridge type filter, WIX is still okay because you can see what you are buying.
I suspect NAPA had two reasons for dropping WIX as their supplier. One was price and the other was quality.
From what he cut open it looks to me the WIX was better quality then the NAPA Gold....

I heard from multiple NAPA stores that availability was actually the main reason. But, considering how much better PG, and even most Champ filters are than Mann, it's not much of a decision to drop them.

Napa Gold was never Wix "Gold", no such thing as the latter. In the past, Napa Gold has been the "standard Wix labeled" filter(s). In short, looks like Napa has changed suppliers for their "Gold" filters.

That said, surprised to see the stamped flat spring on NG. From what I've seen PG made filters use a coil compression spring, like the MG Select in the vid. So other than being made China, I'm unsure who makes the NG shown in the video.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good Morning Hrv,
Thank you for sharing the video.
I found it interesting that the guy spends 8 minutes 11 seconds trying to site differences and does not know the most important and only criteria to compare; filtering efficiency based on ISO 4548-12 and rated mileage life.
But citing data would make for a very short, less storytelling and less opinionated you tube.

Napa Gold was never Wix "Gold", no such thing as the latter. In the past, Napa Gold has been the "standard Wix labeled" filter(s). In short, looks like Napa has changed suppliers for their "Gold" filters.

That said, surprised to see the stamped flat spring on NG. From what I've seen PG made filters use a coil compression spring, like the MG Select in the vid. So other than being made China, I'm unsure who makes the NG shown in the video.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's a Premium Guard sourced production facility as well.

It's a Premium Guard sourced production facility as well.
What throws me off is the use of the flat spring as opposed to coil spring. If true, Gold clearly not built to same standard as other PG made filters I've seen posted here. Even some lower tier with nitrile adbv. Not that I have anything against stamped flat spring, work fine in most vehicle applications.

What throws me off is the use of the flat spring as opposed to coil spring. If true, Gold clearly not built to same standard as other PG made filters I've seen posted here. Even some lower tier with nitrile adbv.
Yeah, We're still learning some potential differences between Vietnam & China sourced PG's. But if you look at the NG you can see the matte gray finish end caps & bright red ADBV that are notoriously on PG sourced filters. It's a giveaway for me at least.

Yeah, We're still learning some potential differences between Vietnam & China sourced PG's. ...
Not to belabor the point, but 'iirc' even the China made PG filters posted here use a coil compression spring. But, this much certain, Napa Gold no longer standard Wix labeled. Which has been discussed for a while on this subforum.

Summary: shop guy changes out entire Wix Gold stock for supposed rebranded Wix Gold (presumably because the cost was significantly less, otherwise why even do it) and turns out the filters are not Wix after all. So he switched back. Which good on him for sticking to his own principles.

Moral of the story: You don’t get something for nothing.

Summary: shop guy changes out entire Wix Gold stock for supposed rebranded Wix Gold (presumably because the cost was significantly less, otherwise why even do it) and turns out the filters are not Wix after all. So he switched back. Which good on him for sticking to his own principles.

Moral of the story: You don’t get something for nothing.
Or that NAPA is not the NAPA of old.....

Back