NAPA GOLD #1348, 8,900k (CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lil' background here. This was on a 2013' Escape, 1.6l "Eco boost" that calls for 5w30. Had it at our work since new and it gets driven hard. Driver said it "has a cold tapping kinda noise. Well, valve cover was leaking and I changed the spark plugs and valve train looked ok. Had Calvoline Full synthetic "high mileage" ( read full syn. MaxLife 5w30). I changed the oil and filter, started up and tapping was gone. Drove it most of Friday also. It got Eco Ultra 5w30 synthetic blend and a TG-3614. I'll check it again Monday. Tough son of a gun to cut too and you see a lot of cleaning and it caught a TON of stuff!
wink.gif
. You could say I "hacked it open" also as thick can on this one

6rtx6x.jpg

1581n5e.jpg

4l6nnd.jpg

xnt6y1.jpg

2vuge8y.jpg

sdcl4w.jpg

Valvoline Full synthetic "high mileage". Vehicle has 68.9 on it currently. Valve cover gasket meant to say was leaking

Sure did it's job. I personally have never seen that many large particles in a filter I cut open. I'm curious what the inside of the engine looks like.

Well, as said, the valve train looked ok, not horrible either. I think fact it is a D.I. engine I think, doesnt help matters either. Never know though; thats my opinion

The last oil change service on this car was at a local mom and pop place 25 miles or so from work. I would venture to say the Valvoline did its job would'nt you folks?

I wonder why the pleats are so wavy? I have run Golds for 7k and they were never that wavy.Sure is a lot of debris.

Yeah, its my thumb Falken LOL!
wink.gif
. lubener, I am willing to bet that the ESCAPE had its oil changed before winter, not sure though.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I wonder why the pleats are so wavy? I have run Golds for 7k and they were never that wavy.Sure is a lot of debris.

Oil filter elements are almost always wavy, the only times they might not be is if the filter element is not very tall, the spring tension is not so good, the car was driven few miles, or grandma Moses has been driving it, imo. lol Of course synthetic filters don't get wavy either.
grin.gif

Hard working man.. Yeah that Napa did good. Similar at least in construction to another very good filter. Which I have on my car now:)

Gang, here is the bypass valve spring and ADBV thingy.
287jhxe.jpg

9vgrjk.jpg

P.s. If anyone has questions or requests for anything cut open please let me know. There is a bunch I would love to know especially about these "jobber or other filters". Thank you

1st photo is the bypass valve, specifically a base end bypass valve. The 2nd photo is the spring that goes between the dome end of the can and the filter element end cap to keep all the guts tight inside the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back