Myth Busted: "Bad cat won't cause misfire"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it all began when our 2007 Navigator began exhibiting a CEL. Codes displayed were for Cat efficiency, and misfire on cylinders 5,6,7, and 8. To me, this was a common sense situation. I consulted "experts" with these trucks, and was told that a bad catalytic converter would cause power loss, but could not cause misfire.

Misfire became an understatement fast. She got so bad, that under any high load situation she would sound like ant-aircraft guns were firing from the driver's side of her engine. Getting on the highway became a nightmare from [censored]. Not good, since this is the official tow vehicle.

I conducted more research on the problem before taking any action, and discovered it to be essentially common wisdom that bad cats cannot cause misfire. Removing the driver's side 02 sensor proved otherwise. Power came back, no misfire.

Ford wanted more than $2000 for the cats, which was not going to happen. I thought about straight pipes to replace the cats, since I drove over a bump that caused them both to fall off the exhaust, fortuitously enough.
wink.gif
Problem is, Ford modular V8s get very snappy out of the exhaust when pipes are used to replace cats. I ordered a pair of stainless Vibrant resonators instead, and conscripted our welder to do the deed. I was then exposed to another expert opinion:

Welder: "What do you think you're going to get out of this?"

Me: "The ability to use the engine above 3000 rpm."

Welder: "Look, you're still going to get a CEL-"

Me: "-and I'll put in MIL elimnators, so no problem-"

Welder: "-and it'll still be loud as f-"

Me: "-hence the resonators."

Welder: "Ya, but I do Ford trucks all of the time, and it doesn't matter what you use. I've replaced cats with Magnaflow resonators; the best in the business, multi-path mufflers, aftermarket cats, and it's always loud and nasty. These are straight-flow resonators! You can see straight through them! I'll do it for you, but it's gonna sound like s*!@! A straight pipe would b-"

Me: "Not going to happen with this engine".

Welder: "Only thing that will keep it quiet is a stock catalytic from the dealer."

Me: "Very well. You pay for it, and I'll bolt it in myself."

Welder: ".........."

After all was said and done, I started up our truck, and surprise, surprise. No way to tell it's not a stock exhaust. Silent as ever. If I get down low near the tail pipe itself, I can hear a bit more V8 burble, but no snappiness.

I know the Indian is crying a little tear because we don't have cats anymore, but seriously? $2000+ to rent disposable rare metals for another 90k miles or less? GTFO. Make them cheaper and more durable, and I'll consider that bull.

Pics:

Good kitty!

BAD kitty!

You can leave the front A/F monitor with a hollow cat just use extenders on the rear O2's, done deal.
No real difference in sound and no CEL.

Some people say the exhaust will smell bad and your eyes will burn without a cat. Does this really happen?

After querying those who drove before 1973, I'm going to say no.

But seriously? No, it doesn't. I've owned a 1967 Mustang, 1968 Fury, and still have my 1968 Charger, and they never came with cats, and I've yet to die of exhaust fumes.

Quote:
You can leave the front A/F monitor with a hollow cat just use extenders on the rear O2's, done deal.
No real difference in sound and no CEL.

I really didn't feel like banging them out. They're literally worth more dead and in one piece anyway.

I wasn't confident about the noise hollowed out, because one of or guys did it to his Expedition and it raps like there's playing cards in his exhaust.

For CEL, I just had new 02 bungs put in, and used drilled out non-foulers between the sensors and bungs. Fools it perfectly.

Misfire damages the cats, not the other way around. The miss allows unburned raw gas in the exhaust which overheats the catalyst.

What caused the misfire anyway? Spark plugs, fuel injectors, coils? Probably one of the three. Fix that first before worrying about the cat.

Did you replace the o2 sensor? See if it still runs properly with a new one.

In my case, it was a bad spark plug caused by a bad valve cover gasket, which allowed oil to flood the plug.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Some people say the exhaust will smell bad and your eyes will burn without a cat. Does this really happen?

It won't burn your eyes, unless you have sensitive eyes or something. It does smell stronger, but I don't think it smells bad at all.

OP, this happened to me a few months ago with a 97 Thunderbird with a 4.6. My cats ended up being bad, but turns out my PCM went out too. MIL eliminators work well.

It's pretty bad on the eyes. I was behind a pickup tonight that had no cat cons, running on California blend. It goes out his tailpipe and into the passenger air intake - which gave fresher air before modern aero designs.

AV100-LL used to smell much better than today's pump gas.

I won't try to talk you out of the repair though. I'm sure plenty of indians (from the country) deal with cat-less cars every day.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Misfire damages the cats, not the other way around. The miss allows unburned raw gas in the exhaust which overheats the catalyst.

Not in this case. A catalyst really requires no extraordinary motivation to kill it. They wear out and crumble all of the time.

Quote:
What caused the misfire anyway? Spark plugs, fuel injectors, coils? Probably one of the three. Fix that first before worrying about the cat.

Plugs are 6000 miles old. Misfired on all Bank 2 cylinders.
Swapped coils from Bank 1 to Bank 2. Misfire stayed in Bank 2 and didn't travel to Bank 1.
Checked injectors and then swapped injectors from Bank 1 to Bank 2. Misfire stayed in Bank 2 and didn't travel to Bank 1.

I did fix the misfire. I got rid of the cause, the catalytic converter. It hasn't triggered one code at all since the cats left. Can you seriously tell me that any of the problems you just mentioned will cause all cylinders on only one side of the engine to misfire?

Quote:
Did you replace the o2 sensor? See if it still runs properly with a new one.

In my case, it was a bad spark plug caused by a bad valve cover gasket, which allowed oil to flood the plug.

O2 sensors are and were reading correctly in live data, and she runs like a dream now; same 02 sensors.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What about using generic cats. You can find them as low as 60 dollars.

I asked our scrap guy, who buys all of our cats about that very topic a long time ago. He was very clear, and demonstrated to me that most aftermarket cats are little more than chambers with screens in them. He doesn't even buy them because they contain almost zero rare metals.

The rare metals are the catalyst, so the result is you're buying the honeycomb and a metal chamber.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
it wont burn your eyes .... did any vehicles before 74 burn your eyes ?

Did they burn my eyes? No. But I can tell from the smell instantly, an older vehicle or a newer one without a cat- sometimes from as far away as a mile.

My bad. I saw it as the opposite. I am dealing with misfire on a car too. Replaced plugs, wires. Did not work. Next in line, coils and checking connections and seeing if it is either a symptom of going headgasket or as in your case a plugged catcon.

Checking it easy. Pull the 02 sensor. If it runs better with the exhaust going out of the 02 sensor hole and bypassing the cat, then you have a problem.

If your cat doesn't cost a million dollars and three Hawaiian islands, go for it. Otherwise, there's that bump I went over.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
it wont burn your eyes .... did any vehicles before 74 burn your eyes ?

Did they burn my eyes? No. But I can tell from the smell instantly, an older vehicle or a newer one without a cat- sometimes from as far away as a mile.

Me too....

I removed rusted out cats on two vehicles in the past, on a Mazda and a Honda. My friend was behind me in the Mazda and called me on my phone and said "Your exhaust is choking the life out of me, it smells horrible" and on the Honda a guy from school followed me in and said that he was behind me in traffic and wanted to tell me that something must be wrong with the car because the exhaust smelled terrible.

The thing is, when both cars were just sitting still at idle, you couldn't really tell anything. It wasn't until they were out and accelerating or whatever that the exhaust started getting stinky. Just sitting there at idle they smelled normal like any other car.

I've seen this myself twice. A clogged exhaust from a busted up convertor will cause a misfire. Some folks will still argue that until they are blue in the face but it is the truth. Thanks for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back