My new 300 has HIR headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer a good HIR setup. I like the color temperature and the instant on features.

I've driven behind plenty of HID setups. Just don't like 'em as much. YMMV.

The HIR bulb is definitely an upgrade from Halogen and can enable a better night driving experience due to increased lumens. It all depends on what a person likes, what they need and the quality of the reflector or projector and how it's aimed. I'm not sure of the cost of HIR bulbs, but if the price is right it may be worth it to gain the improvement over stock as shown in the photos.
IME, if you want HID performance you need HID's.

Originally Posted By: Roob
IME, if you want HID performance you need HID's.

Or higher wattage halogens in good housings. I've personally never seen a set of HIDs that I found more than "ok" for actually seeing things. Yeah, they throw plenty of light, but their color rendering is terrible. Compared to my setup on the Jeep, HIDs are like seeing in monochrome. Plus, my high beams + driving lights will out-shine any factory HIDs I've seen and my low beams throw just as nicely, just not quite as bright (and that's fixable with a bulb change if I wanted to).

I don't like HIDs either. Yes, it's like looking at the world in black and white. Or blue and white maybe, depending on the actual vehicle. I prefer halogen sources, even if that means replacing them more often.

I've had both--- HIR retrofit and HID projectors (now). Preferred the HIR for color rendering/lower eye fatigue. The HIDs have an advantage in that they throw a lot of lumens and can therefore use a wider beam--- like mains reach and fogs width all in one.

the only way I've found decent color rendering is running both the HID mains (4100k) and HID fogs (3100k AND selective yellow tint on the housing) at the same time. The output color becomes much more incandescent-like-- it "appears white (not blue) and you can distinguish textures with more clarity. However, it's more light than needed so I usually don't run them together.

Also, I spent gobs of hours getting HID projectors set up just right... whereas HIR took me ten minutes.

Where HIDs really had an advantage for me was off-road lighting. Less focus needed. Less lumen waste due to shutters. Just a bulb in a housing. There was a LOT of light output without having to set up 6x55w housings.... 300 watts of consumed power is a lot when creeping along just off-idle. 2 HID floods provided ~6k lumens at ~8A draw. That was really really nice.

For HID it comes down to quality of products. The majority of tuner HID's I see are nothing short of horrific.
As far as seeing things with my setup, halogen and then upgraded bulbs didn't even hold a candle to what these lights illuminate. I went with a high quality bulb from Osram at 4200k that has a yellow tinge to it. No blue at all. You'll only get that with 6000k plus bulbs then purple. Those bulbs are useless in inclement weather, but then they look nice and that's why people buy them. I included a performance tuned for distance projector and then a high quality ballast. Combine that with correct alignment and aiming and you have lighting Valhalla!!! All 8800-9000 lumens with an upgraded ballast and that's on low beam. Don't get me started on high beam because that number goes much higher without the halogen high beams.
grin.gif

HID's are much more than "ok" for seeing at night and I don't know what systems you've seen but the quality is out there. I have no issues with colour rendering or monochrome you speak of.
As far as your high beams and driving lights outshining HID'S I find it pretty funny that you'd need to do all of that just to overcome the low beam of an HID setup at factory 35 watts. I'm glad you are happy with the low beam throw of your halogen, but they don't equate to the low beam throw of HID's. It's comparing OEM 6400 focused/projected lumens from HID to 1600-3900 reflected lumens in a halogen.
Well it's each to their own I guess, and it varies by application. Go on and get HID's for the jeep, you know you want too!!
grin.gif

Cheers.

Go on and get HID's for the jeep, you know you want too!!

Nope. I've driven and ridden in enough cars with HIDs (mostly stock ones) to know that I dislike them. My low beams have a very similar beam pattern to most HID projectors, they're just not quite as bright. They're still plenty bright enough though, and there's much brighter bulbs available if I feel the need. TBH, I find some HID low beams to be too bright relative to the amount of area they're filling with light, which can be very harsh on the eyes.

For the high beams, I've got plenty of light, although it does draw a ton of power (660w total, 2x 100w high beams, 2x 100w driving beams, 2x 130w pencil beams). And that setup easily matches any HID high beam I've seen for spread and brightness, plus they throw further.

Last edited:
It's comparing OEM 6400 focused/projected lumens from HID to 1600-3900 reflected lumens in a halogen.

It should be noted that "lumens" is not a measure of light on the road, and is a misleading figure to use when comparing the output from a set of headlamps. Luminous flux (measured in lumens) is a measure of the volume of light emitted from a source (in this case, a bulb). That measure is a 360* measurement taken with an integrating sphere. You can't add up the total lumens of your light bulbs and figure that's how much light you see in front of you. In fact, it necessarily is NOT the amount of light you see in front of you; for that to be the case, your headlamps would have to be 100% efficient and they are not. There is a certain amount of light loss inside a lamp (whether that's a projector or a multi-face reflector), and you cannot know how much that is unless you have precise instruments to measure it.

What IS a good measure of light on the road is luminous intensity, which is measured in candela. This is the measure behind the federal DOT lighting standards. Certain portions of the beam are measured for luminous intensity and the values of a DOT-compliant lighting system must be within the allowable candela range for each of those points.

It's really not possible to compare headlamps by visual means. Many lamps give the illusion of great lighting, but the light may be be distributed within the beam well, or may put too much light on the road too close to the vehicle, which actually reduces your distance vision. Many lamps give the illusion of poor lighting, because the driver doesn't have the comfort of all the foreground light (but ends up having good distance vision because the beam is well-focused down the road).

The key here is these are illusions. Your eyes (and my eyes, and everyone else's eyes) are incredibly poor judges of their own performance. What may be a comforting light for you to drive behind may well also be a dangerous light for you to drive behind, without you recognizing it. Lots of foreground lighting gives the impression of lots of light in general, which presents a two-fold problem. First, your pupils focus on the foreground light and not 100 yards down the road, which is where they should be when driving at night. Second, drivers tend to "over drive" their light, meaning they have a high comfort level because of the foreground light and drive faster than the conditions warrant.

I'm not saying that your lights are good or bad or safe or dangerous. But I am saying that you can't judge that either. And there's absolutely no disrespect intended; it's simply the nature of how our eyes work. Without precise instruments and some good isoplots, one cannot make an accurate assessment of the performance of a lighting system.

No I'm not offended at all, I love when people are condescending.
crazy.gif

It's called a real world(not lab) average guess based on what the manufacturer states the bulb is capable of. I don't expect the bulb, projector, ballast to work at 100% efficiency. Im not an idiot.
What I see is a massive improvement in width, foreground and distance vision compared to halogen, then upgraded bulbs and every halogen I have seen so far on the road in every condition.
Being that I measure that with my own eyes that have 20/15 and better vision, thank goodness it's one precise instrument I have other than my brain or I would feel like a real unedumacated moron.

Cheers.

You don't get to much time to edit posts here!

No I'm not offended at all, I love when people are condescending and tell me I can't do something simple like judge the quality of my lights. Us humans and our absolute limitations.
Thankfully we have a brain/psyche to fool us into thinking we can and do know what we see.
Now I can live in blissful ignorance never really knowing my own limitations until somebody better points it out.

Please don't be offended, its something we all suffer from.

Cheers.

No I'm not offended at all, I love when people are condescending and tell me I can't do something simple like judge the quality of my lights.

This is very much the point. Assessing the performance of a lighting system is not simple at all, and it absolutely cannot be done by eyeballing it, even if you have 20/15 vision and feel greater comfort behind the wheel of your new lamps.

Thankfully we have a brain/psyche to fool us into thinking we can and do know what we see.

Yes; our brains fool is in many areas, not just in vision performance.

Now I can live in blissful ignorance never really knowing my own limitations until somebody better points it out.

If you think I'm better than you, then you're the only one thinking that.

For HID it comes down to quality of products. The majority of tuner HID's I see are nothing short of horrific.
As far as seeing things with my setup, halogen and then upgraded bulbs didn't even hold a candle to what these lights illuminate. I went with a high quality bulb from Osram at 4200k that has a yellow tinge to it. No blue at all. You'll only get that with 6000k plus bulbs then purple. Those bulbs are useless in inclement weather, but then they look nice and that's why people buy them. I included a performance tuned for distance projector and then a high quality ballast. Combine that with correct alignment and aiming and you have lighting Valhalla!!! All 8800-9000 lumens with an upgraded ballast and that's on low beam. Don't get me started on high beam because that number goes much higher without the halogen high beams.
grin.gif

HID's are much more than "ok" for seeing at night and I don't know what systems you've seen but the quality is out there. I have no issues with colour rendering or monochrome you speak of.
As far as your high beams and driving lights outshining HID'S I find it pretty funny that you'd need to do all of that just to overcome the low beam of an HID setup at factory 35 watts. I'm glad you are happy with the low beam throw of your halogen, but they don't equate to the low beam throw of HID's. It's comparing OEM 6400 focused/projected lumens from HID to 1600-3900 reflected lumens in a halogen.
Well it's each to their own I guess, and it varies by application. Go on and get HID's for the jeep, you know you want too!!
grin.gif

Cheers.

I'm actually running TRS hi/lo projectors in both the mains and the fogs. I spent a bit of time fine-tuning the shutters on an equal-height test bench (including standing in the road with it, at night, getting the lower cutoff right) and run them in the tundra. They are nicely made and I haven't had problems with the throw but find the color spectrum of halogen more natural with lass fatigue. I still like my setup as it solved problems with the original lamps, but am also saying that no solution, including the lofty HID, is perfect. In terms of color rendering, it is not a mystery that HIDs lack an even distribution.

One area rarely discussed with HIDs is the amount of lumen /loss/ introduced by the projector mechanism itself. Nobody pays attention to this... The hotspot of any lamp beam needs to be concentrated immediately at or below the upper cutoff to minimize foreground glare/dazzle while proving best distance reach... very difficult as you need exponentially more light thrown as you move away from the source to get the reach and the idea of "even" illumination. In a reflector housing, it's a matter of biasing the angles to put the hotspot on the horizon. with an axial filament, they can harvest the vast majority of light output from the bulb. some of it... ~10% (WAG) gets lost in the glare shield, but that's also in-line, not perpendicular, to the filament, where all the light is radiated. In other words, efficient.

In a projector, you NEED the extra lumens because some get wasted. In every pic I've seen, as well as the TRS projectors, the hotspot is 1/2 to 2/3 covered by the upper cutoff. This gets those same results---- get it hot right under the horizon for best distance, least foreground dazzle, and safety for oncoming traffic. However, plenty of lumens are lost in the shutters, and it's a necessary evil included in trying to capture and control the spherical, and not tiny, light source within the HID capsule. Some designs are more efficient than others, and I suspect the high-dollar oem fixtures, single beam (no hi/lo) will be most optimal. However, there is still more loss in a projector my the very nature that you have to shutter them internally.

food for thought.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yes; our brains fool is in many areas, not just in vision performance.

See??!! My brain even fooled me into thinking that was a coherent sentence.

"Our brains fool us in many areas, not just in vision performance."

"This is very much the point. Assessing the performance of a lighting system is not simple at all, and it absolutely cannot be done by eyeballing it, even if you have 20/15 vision and feel greater comfort behind the wheel of your new lamps."

Actually it depends on what assessment you want.

The much improved performance of my setup doesn't give me greater comfort, it just gives me better than halogen performance and that's what I wanted. You stating that I can't judge that increase in performance is quite over the top.
Now maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but from an eyeball assessment (what this originally was about) it is quite easy to see an improvement in lighting from halogens to HID. People like different things but some things are better per application.

IMO/IME-for my application, my current low beam HID lights are better than halogen. They are better in all aspects of driving environments especially in the rain and snow. Ymmv, but I am happy and that's all I can ask for.
grin.gif

So with no hard feelings,

Prost,

The much improved performance of my setup doesn't give me greater comfort, it just gives me better than halogen performance and that's what I wanted. You stating that I can't judge that increase in performance is quite over the top.
Now maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but from an eyeball assessment (what this originally was about) it is quite easy to see an improvement in lighting from halogens to HID.

Thank you for your reply. And please let me clarify.

It's certainly easy to perceive a difference in lighting between the two systems. I have no argument with that. What you are claiming, however, is an improvement, which I'm sure you will agree can be measured in a number of different ways.

For example, your beam is much wider than it was before. It almost always is with a projector-based HID system. This generally allows you to see objects on the side of the road with greater ease. However, because of the extra foreground lighting, it's often more difficult to focus on objects that are truly down the road, potentially creating somewhat offsetting changes. Another example: your new system may create too much light (as defined by federal testing parameters) in some parts of the beam pattern that may be distracting to other drivers. It may still be below what appears to be a visual cutoff. An increase in performance for you (the driver) may be offset by an increase in glare for an oncoming driver. Again, this stuff can only be measured with optical instruments.

I have no doubt that your system produces more candela than a halogen system. But my point is that a subjective impression of a lamp's performance is not necessarily indicative of its objective performance (and many times isn't, for reasons I listed in my first reply).

Edit: and again, I'm not here to say that your system is good or bad. I can't judge it. I'm simply offering suggestions of how some aspects of lamp performance can offer both pros and cons, making an absolute judgement on "better" or "worse" hard to achieve.

Last edited:
I love TRS! It's where I order all my stuff. I didn't have the time to do the install myself and frankly didn't want to mess it up. So I took the easy way out and had a shop in NY do the entire conversion with a lifetime warranty on all parts including the OEM housings.
Without getting technical on the light loss and various why and how's I'm still overly impressed with the end result.
I did get 50 watt ballasts to increase the lighting with a small sacrifice in longevity of the bulb as the projectors are designed for higher wattage. The bulbs are a higher lumen output as well. they are Osram SVS bulbs. I've had 35 watt before and it was good, just not as good as this. I almost went with TL projectors but the FXR 3 is what fit really well and has comparable performance.
Overall I'm extremely satisfied with it, much more than any halogen setup I've had.

@Roob,

BTW-- nobody here is trying to badmouth your setup. Sometimes it's hard to prove that you've done something right!!! Because most of the time we see so many things done wrong. HID is a whipping-post for criticism because there are so many BAD conversions out there.

The points that attract attention here are probably when someone states theirs is better but uses examples of lumen output, "i can see better" as *proof*, or comments on one color being better than another, or more clear, or whatever, without a ton of critical info to back it up, and without also showing some give and take.... you hear that everywhere you go.

So please don't think we're out there trying to bash. You just made some statements that seemed to suggest there might be things you hadn't thought about--- and folks here (me included)--- while trying to help--- pointing out a bunch of stuff---- it can come across as condescending.

NONE of us know it all. Just note that we will admit that....

you've got 28 posts... welcome to the forum!

Mike

Last edited:
Yes I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your response. It is just unfortunate that I get held to account over something as small as an HID versus halogen debate.

Honestly it would seem though that what's at issue here isn't my lack of scientific data in proving why my setup is good, rather the expectation on this forum that such data is only accepted as proof of a good system. Otherwise its just another bad HID system.
Anyhow, this has been beat to death and everyone here has been very helpful in one way or another.
This has certainly been a lesson.

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back