My Experiences with using TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used TC-W3 for over 3 years in my 87 dodge D 100 & 96 Dodge 1500 both with the 318 motors.
Both seem smoother running with slight mileage improvement.
Also use it in my John Deere lawn tractor with a 19 1/2 horse Briggs.
It uses noticeably less gas.
I would say about 25% less.
Wish it made that much difference in the trucks.

I just remembered one TCW3 anecdote. I took my RAV4 into dealership for cold engine noise when it was under warranty. The dealer said what noise? They denied anything abnormal. I was quite angry, but remembered about TCW3. I stopped at parts store and bought a bottle of TCW3 and poured some in the parking lot. The gas tank was full, so there was no point of filling to mix it. Then I took off. Initially no difference, but I was waiting at a red light and suddenly the engine stumbled and RPM went down, then it recovered and came back but very smooth. Suddenly I noticed the idle vibrations on steering wheel went down. It was an obvious difference.

However, there was no improvement on cold engine noise (piston slap).

Nevertheless this inspired me to do some gasoline+TCW3 burning tests:

here is a control:

I think the wildest think I ever did with tcw3 was with my uncles abandoned Frankenstein dodge caravan... he had a van that was bored .050 over and the tranny was modified to tow (lots more then ur average van )

He died, and his car/thing sat for 2 years... his daughter didn't want it at first but then when her car blew up she wanted it, go figure...

Anyways, to shorten it up... we drained the gas, got it running on premium and my scanner threw up 3cylinders misfiring and some were dirty injectors, along with egr systems, the usual [censored] with a misfire...

She drove it for a week, and the van got worse, she was down to 8mpg highway and she thought it was junk... as a last ditch effort ( local junk yard offered a [censored] of a price cause he knew what my uncle did to it and wanted it) i put 3.5oz of tcw3 in a 5gallon can and dumped it in the van that was on empty... i let it idle for an hr, and noticed van stopped shaking and the stumble off idle was gone... took it for a spin and although it was smoking, it was driveable....

My aunt drove it for the remainder of the gas, and when she asked what i fixed i just played it off like (nothing really)

She gave me her gas card, i put 20gallons in it and added 5oz of tcw3 at the pump.... she drove the van to work for a month on that tank, and she said it was back to normal... i plugged my scanner in and ALL THE MISFIRE CODES ARE GONE !

My dad and i still laugh about that event to this day, this was in 2010after my uncle got sick and died....

Once when my uncle was alive, is daughters s10just turned 312000miles, her light came on and showed a bad cat and #2misfire. He added 8oz to her half tank, let it idle till it smoked, and drove it on the highway for 40miles and let it sit over night...

Started it up the next morning saying (if it breaks I'll just rebuild it ) and sure enough, the truck purrrrrrred like a can and her mileage went up afterwards.. (she never added tcw3 tho after the initial fixing dosage )

Last one for the night.

There's a gent at my work who offers a $75 storage ready (winterizing)service for boats here in az... and his way of fogging the motor is remixing 32/1mix of tcw3 and feeding it to the boat engine till she runs rough, then revving the motor to 2000rpm and slamming the choke close on the carburetor/ Tb and calling it a day... i guess he did this back in Minnesota when he owned a shop and the main benefit was easy starts the next year and a natural fogging inside the motor instead of the fogging spray...

I've never had to winterize a boat so idk.... its just his words

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
If u don't like mess, so buy the one pint bottles at the store and acquire the pointed lid for gear oil, cut the top off the cap and use it for filling up, I always add the oil before fill up (there at the pump)

No mess at all my way !
Pictures please!!

RE: friendly

Can you explain your test?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If u don't like mess, so buy the one pint bottles at the store and acquire the pointed lid for gear oil, cut the top off the cap and use it for filling up, I always add the oil before fill up (there at the pump)

No mess at all my way !
Pictures please!!

RE: friendly

Can you explain your test?

No test, I had been doing the tcw3 oil years, but I wanted a baseline test with my summer blend fuel and then the winter stuff... once I canceled out silly things that may vary I added the tcw3 oil.

I know what IT does when added to our modern gas and wanted to see how much I can gain from using it in a new to me vehicle

I use tc-w3 in the diesel tank of my zoomboom and every single thing I own that burns fuel.
1-2 ounces for every 5 gallons of fuel. Since I adopted this practice years ago I've not had to replace any rubber gaskets on our generators and compressors carbs and I've noticed in vehicles with whiny fuel pumps they get less whiny(chev).
For the pennies it costs why not. I've run thousands of gallons of fuel treated through my vehicles and equipment and I've not seen a single plug problem, in fact they all come out clean as a whistle without a hint of a deposit.
Yes vehicles last many hundreds of thousands of miles without any tc-w3 in the fuel however I've found that my engines run like new for as long as I own them.

I was asking pictures of your point bottle contraption!

The question about the test was directed to friend_jacek(?) who had a trigger sprayer over a flame. I could not figure out what he was trying to prove. Whatever he was doing, I was waiting for the spray bottle to go boom :-(

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I use tc-w3 in the diesel tank of my zoomboom and every single thing I own that burns fuel.
1-2 ounces for every 5 gallons of fuel. Since I adopted this practice years ago I've not had to replace any rubber gaskets on our generators and compressors carbs and I've noticed in vehicles with whiny fuel pumps they get less whiny(chev).
For the pennies it costs why not. I've run thousands of gallons of fuel treated through my vehicles and equipment and I've not seen a single plug problem, in fact they all come out clean as a whistle without a hint of a deposit.

Yes vehicles last many hundreds of thousands of miles without any tc-w3 in the fuel however I've found that my engines run like new for as long as I own them.

+1 I still use, never a problem...and MMO

Did anyone tried snowboard oil instead Tcw3 ?

I was an user of Tcw3 I got many benefit from it but I had no mileage improvement at all.

I had to be even careful to put the right amount otherwise I was loosing power.

The snowboard oil is ashless as Tcw3 but has better quality.

Tcw3 has to meet the environment pollution restriction for the water the JASO FC standard no, so there is full package of chemicals in the oil for make it better without restriction as Tcw3 standard.

Well the main benefit compared to Tcw3 is the mileage.

I discuss this here : http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...cep#Post3247925

Last edited:

Do u add 2oz of tcw3 to 5gallon of gasoline for gasser? I often wonder how strong I should try to add to my daily driver and or storaged motors...

I did have a guy tell me he uses 1.5oz to a 5gallon fill up in his Harley and he's always driving it out of town so maybe I'll play with a stronger mix with my pressure washer or something first =)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The WM stuff is the worst TCW-3 Ive used because of its stench. Others are far less pungent.

The WM TCW3 has indeed strong diesel smell that I didn't remember in penzoil marine TCW3.

However, according to this paper, high solvents are better as than means PIB rather than Brightstock base oil (see figure 3):

http://www.exhaustgas.com/PDF/1778.pdf

I just spoke to a guy who I haven't seen in a year or so, he came in from Utah and the last time I say him he was having issues with his 2500hd. He had a nasty studder under a load and towing a 30ft travel trailer made it almost undriveable. He went to a local shop (ironically the shop next to me) and they did a compression test on his rig and he was (half)/whatever that means equals/ on cylinder 8.

I recommended the tcw3 stuff as a last ditch effort to clean whatever, and he told me today (I put that stuff in and the next morning it was a lot better, I drove it about 60miles and icouldnt feel the stumble, made all the way back home running it in my truck and it hasn't come back since,im running that stuff round the clock now!)

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Back (home)
He said he's got a 8hp Kawasaki John deer tractor thing or something of that nature, and every year he'd have to unstick the float system cause I't would get stuck open. He said he added 1/2oz to a gallon when he left it last year and it fired right up when he got home with NO SMOKE! I was kinda shocked at that one lol

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The WM stuff is the worst TCW-3 Ive used because of its stench. Others are far less pungent.

The WM TCW3 has indeed strong diesel smell that I didn't remember in penzoil marine TCW3.

However, according to this paper, high solvents are better as than means PIB rather than Brightstock base oil (see figure 3):

The day I started using tcw3 I used up the last bit of Pennzoil semi synthetic but before I did I bought a gallon of tcw3, I noticed no difference in smell, maybe that batch was made my Pennzoil lolololololololol.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Thanks for the document

Do u add 2oz of tcw3 to 5gallon of gasoline for gasser? I often wonder how strong I should try to add to my daily driver and or storaged motors...

I did have a guy tell me he uses 1.5oz to a 5gallon fill up in his Harley and he's always driving it out of town so maybe I'll play with a stronger mix with my pressure washer or something first =)
It is 1 oz of tcw3 to 5 gallons of gas....

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

It is 1 oz of tcw3 to 5 gallons of gas....

According to sarge's thread at the ls1 site they are playing around with from 1 and more.
When I first started using tc-w3 I tested every tank for mileage and noted any running differences.
My chevy's liked 2 ounces per 5 gallons to quiet the fuel pumps,and at that rate I never saw any deposits on my plugs.
All my carb stuff gets 2 ounces or so per Jerry can. I don't really measure it out so I'm sure its a bit more.
As far as my charger goes I pour half a quart per fill up in it. But my mix isn't just tc-w3. I've got a few other things mixed in there as well.
I wouldn't worry too much about overdosing guys. Take a look at 2 stroke equipments plugs at a 40-1 ratio.

According to sarge's thread at the ls1 site they are playing around with from 1 and more.
When I first started using tc-w3 I tested every tank for mileage and noted any running differences.
My chevy's liked 2 ounces per 5 gallons to quiet the fuel pumps,and at that rate I never saw any deposits on my plugs.
All my carb stuff gets 2 ounces or so per Jerry can. I don't really measure it out so I'm sure its a bit more.
As far as my charger goes I pour half a quart per fill up in it. But my mix isn't just tc-w3. I've got a few other things mixed in there as well.
I wouldn't worry too much about overdosing guys. Take a look at 2 stroke equipments plugs at a 40-1 ratio. [/quote]

So, with adding 2oz to 5gallon of gas, did you notice any change in mpg??? Despite u have other things in it, im curious if a strong dose like this WILL kill off cats ?????

Just wondering,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back