My daughter took her Camry to Ford fastlane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really!
During your years in Canada, did you actually find this to be the case?
You never actually lived in and had work done in Canada?
Then you really have no basis for your claim that Canada is quite different.
Laws proscribe but only experience teaches.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Clevy
To be honest the local shops here use exactly what the oem specifies as to free themselves from any liability.

Canada is quite different..in many ways the consumer protection laws are superior to those here in the USA, where many times it is
"buyer beware" and "anything goes" mentality reigns supreme with our gov't only caring about big business at the expense of the consumer. Lobbyists!

I think your tinfoil hat is a bit tight.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Clevy said:
To be honest the local shops here use exactly what the oem specifies as to free themselves from any liability.

Canada is quite different..in many ways the consumer protection laws are superior to those here in the USA, where many times it is
"buyer beware" and "anything goes" mentality reigns supreme with our gov't only caring about big business at the expense of the consumer. Lobbyists!

I think your tinfoil hat is a bit tight.

We rarely do oil changes on cars but when we do we use what the OEM specs with the oil we have on hand, or have it delivered via O'Reilly. Car takes 0w20 and what we stock is m1ep? We use m1ep. My local Toyota dealer does not even stock TGMO 0W20

Be glad they actually paid attention to the spec required. Most don't.

And our local WM quick lube charges 64.99 for a syn change using their ots oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Really!
During your years in Canada, did you actually find this to be the case?
You never actually lived in and had work done in Canada?
Then you really have no basis for your claim that Canada is quite different.
Laws proscribe but only experience teaches.

I have relatives there (my family spans ME, VT, QC, and NS)
which have similar experiences to the other Canadians posting here regarding the issue.

I figured I needed to add that my job took me to the burbs of Chicago, IL, and I now live in SC. I actually lived in QC for a time with family.

Last edited:
Ford did good in my book to put mobil1 ep .one of their top oil for normal use.mobil delvac1 le5w30 could be better but not sure if its energy conserving .yes it isnt cheap.but that deLer was on the sweet spot $ wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

"Syn-blend 0W-20?" Really? Have you seen this mythical unicorn? Maybe the guys at the Ford dealership should have gone over to the Honda dealership and bought some? I bet it really would be much cheaper if they had...

Ever heard of Mobil Super, or Valvoline....
both have 0w20 syn blend products and sell it commercially in bulk to shops...also as bcardinal stated
Quote:

Motorcraft does make a 0W20 blend, but hardly anyone stocks it because it has not been fully rolled out

I keep abreast of the "bidness" now by reading various trade publications, which will explain how programs like QuickLube are required to have things like 0w20 syn blend on hand...well they are supposed to because Ford program rules tell the $tealer to as part of their agreement. Of course as usual it seems that the
$tealerships don't honor those agreements very often. Hence the term "$tealership. LOL smirk

To reiterate.... the point here is that the customer took her Camry and went to a QuickLube, which by program agreement with Ford is supposed to have a 0w20 syn blend or conventional on hand to service those makes that require it, the customer came away with a highly priced product that was totally unnecessary for the application and paid quite a bit more for that product over what was actually needed. Said customer probably questioned the charge after she left and found that she overpaid for service, said customer will tell other potential customers to avoid that shop, which in the end is bad for business. Why did this happen?

Because $tealership!

Last edited:
Wow I have never seen such stupid posts in one thread.

The price was right in line with what most places charge for a synthetic oil change.
The consumer ordered a product and the dealership delivered. It is the consumers responsibility to understand what is required.
A lot of places have a computer system to look up the spec requirements for each model. My guess is that it lists synthetic 0w-20 and so that is what they offered. If the system shows 0w-20 then no shop in their right mind would or should offer 5w-20. That would be just plain stupid.

The consumer has a little thing called an owners manual. They are fully able to open it and see if they have other options.

Has anyone actually checked with the shop to see if they offer a synthetic blend in 0w-20 or are people just ASSuming they performed fraud?

People need to take their tin foil hats off.

TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

Yes the laws are strict in canada but,if the oil is say sn and energy conserving dealer job is done.so why some dealer use this instead of that .some have reliability reputation to keep.so if it take this oil or that to make their car more reliable they ll use that!why?try convincing elvis presley to buy another cadillac if his old one washaving issue because of oil or wrong coolant quality ?if that old cadillac is pristine the dealer can flip it with a nice profit everybody win.but ifit had problem and he baught it in quebec?said dealer will be stuck either in paperwork claim or rdprm reputation issue

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

And Motorcraft 0w20 syn blend doesn't exist too..riiight. LOL

Oui, yvon la au moins un autre membre qui habite à QC confirme ce que je parle de quand il s'agit de lois de protection des consommateurs et des règlements.Au moins le concessionnaire en question utilisé huile correcte poids.

Last edited:
TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

It exists. Dealerships don't have to stock it.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Has anyone actually checked with the shop to see if they offer a synthetic blend in 0w-20 or are people just ASSuming they performed fraud?

Putting in M1 Ext Perf 0w-20, an excellent oil, is not 'fraud', thats going to far, agreed. And, since a DIY oil changer at home must also recycle the old oil and make a mess (labor), the price isn't horrible here. Yet I understand why people are wary of dealers. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put bulk SN 5w-30 dino oil in there; hey, its possible. Just warnning.

I don't think the charge for a M1 change is really out of line or 'stealership' worthy. Most business requires profit to continue to exist. Changing in yor own garage/driveway will be cheaper because it (the profit) doesn't. They have to pay the guy doing the work and the overhead. Most likely even at the price charged, the dealership didn't clear much.

Most folks will go out to eat and pay five times the cost of the food every time, then complain with a little mark up on a oil change...

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

If they are part of the QuickLube program they MUST stock a
0w20 conventional or syn blend for vehicles that require it, sure it doesn't have to be motorcraft but I'd figure that the pricing would be best for Ford stores over other brands.

Last edited:

Don't their hybrids require it? I guess they can just always use 5w-20 in hybrids if they need to.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Putting in M1 Ext Perf 0w-20, an excellent oil, is not 'fraud', thats going to far, agreed. And, since a DIY oil changer at home must also recycle the old oil and make a mess (labor), the price isn't horrible here. Yet I understand why people are wary of dealers. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put bulk SN 5w-30 dino oil in there; hey, its possible. Just warnning.

So you are saying a dealer would commit fraud over a few Dollars? Oil changes don't pay the bills, that extra $10 is nothing to a shop.

Cheap oil changes survive off of upselling.

TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

yes seriously What the heck is going on with antiqueboy and farfetched going off like

*(censored so I dont get a vacation)*

Did I miss the notice this is Troll random bitog posts day?

Lets check the math here

m1ep = 9.xx/qt filter = 5-10$

45+5= 20$ at most for labor?

This isnt a rip off.

OH and the ford dealer is just supposed to make this unicorn never seen in the wild 0w20 syn blend magically appear?

Please can we leave the tin foil hats at home guys. Jiffy lube charges 75+$ for a m1ep oil change too.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Don't their hybrids require it? I guess they can just always use 5w-20 in hybrids if they need to.

Yes they can use 5w20 (but not correct as we both know).

Or they can get their bulk tank filled with the cheapest 0w20 that meets spec. That is much cheaper than buying oem oil in most instances.

Nothing says they have to use OEM branded oil. We go through 250 gallons of 15w40 a week and we are a small shop. We save considerable amount of cash buying in bulk. And if we need an oil that we don't stock?? O'Reilly delivers it free for us. I am not paying a tech close to an hour of time to go to Wm.

Do a few shops use the cheapest 10w30 in everything? Certainly. They usually are the ones that go out of business quickly.

Money comes from the parts and bigger jobs, oil changes don't pay the bills.

Last edited:

So you are saying a dealer would commit fraud over a few Dollars? Oil changes don't pay the bills, that extra $10 is nothing to a shop.

Cheap oil changes survive off of upselling.

Multiply each by many customers/day, and add one lazy employee who is late for his cigarette break, and, wa-lllaw: Someone gets bulk dino 5w-30 oil. .... Not all the time of course, just possible. Lets be real. ... Agreed, upselling is big here.

My shop uses amsoil oe 0w20 and we charge $54.95. Profit wise we make about $18.....before I pay the salesman, the tech, etc.....so really we didn't make anything.

As far as if it's a 2010 and newer camry they require a FULL SYNTHETIC 0w20. I called toyota because we also have Kendall 0w20 Blend and they said it must be full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back