My conspiracy thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the almost religious fervor of replacing ICE engines with EVs has it occurred to anyone that oil quality could be reduced to help eliminate ICE vehicles?
I will rely on the fussy folks here that are almost anal about their oil. I guess it won't be much of a problem, or will it?

Tin foil hattery.

Oh this is the humor forum. Yeah I could see, reduce motor oil to the equivalent of cutting oil, make engines last less longer, then “these durn ICE, they just don’t last, might as well make the switch”.

Better conspiracy theory:

Big oil will pay off or outright buy electrical service infrastructure companies through shell corporations and start producing sub-standard components for the wide-scale electrical infrastructure. These sub-standard products will be engineered to induce extra noise and interference into electrical transmission lines, enough so that EV chargers will be constantly disrupted and interrupted.

This charging interruption will cause dissatisfaction among EV adopters and drive them back to ICE vehicles. Big Oil can continue selling oil and gas.

It is good to ponder ideas and thoughts about stuff rather that just absorb what the Tv tells you to think.

Better conspiracy theory:

Big oil will pay off or outright buy electrical service infrastructure companies through shell corporations and start producing sub-standard components for the wide-scale electrical infrastructure. These sub-standard products will be engineered to induce extra noise and interference into electrical transmission lines, enough so that EV chargers will be constantly disrupted and interrupted.

This charging interruption will cause dissatisfaction among EV adopters and drive them back to ICE vehicles. Big Oil can continue selling oil and gas.
Big Oil will buy the patents for EV stuff and build good EV stuff. They make money either way. They're not Kodak stupid. Big Oil will transform to Big EV. The writing is on the wall. ICEs will become obsolete sooner or later. In 20 or 30 years, new vehicles with ICEs might be around but in the minority.

Big Oil will buy the patents for EV stuff and build good EV stuff. They make money either way. They're not Kodak stupid. Big Oil will transform to Big EV. The writing is on the wall. ICEs will become obsolete sooner or later. In 20 or 30 years, new vehicles with ICEs might be around but in the minority.
I disagree—they will buy up the patents, but then bury them. Just like they did with the 100mpg carburetor.

I disagree—they will buy up the patents, but then bury them. Just like they did with the 100mpg carburetor.
Also like the Clem engine which is buried somewhere, still running on the original Crisco oil.

C303EEB7-8886-4897-BA7B-5C63A601AA61.jpeg

I highly doubt in 20years, ICE will be a minority globally. There are a whole lot of 20+ year old DD vehicles on the road

I love a good conspiracy theory. In order for a conspiracy theory to actually be good - it has to have enough plausible and provable facts in evidence that support the "theory".

All the evidence points to oil getting better, not worse ?

There is no need for too much :) underhanded conspiracy. Despite various posters parroting things like "the manufacturers know best", nothing could be further from the truth. They make products that simply don't last, and they don't care, they are in the business of SELLING CARS afterall. They use materials that are known to not hold up. They don't adequately test, and every subsequent model and engine is just an application of tribal knowledge, nothing more.

Nor are modern oils "better". Additive packages are being cut by 2/3'rds, replaced by oil blends that attempt to make up the difference. Many manufacturers adapt, some do not. But don't tell me that the oils do the same job as before. They don't. AND, they don't have to.

A simple comparison to the build quality of a modern airplane and modern car clearly highlights significant differences. Modern airliners are designed to last 80,000 hours, get struck by lightning multiple times, tolerate severe turbluence without structural damage, and operate with nearly unreal reliability. One product is properly engineered, the other is truly a joke and belongs in the humor section...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back