Mower failed to start - Briggs Quantum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take pride in maintaining my OPE such that they always start on the first or second pull of the starter, even after months of storage. Not this year. Our 15+ year old self-propelled walk-behind mower with a 6-1/2 HP Briggs Quantum engine would not stat. Tried a used plug that I was keeping as an emergency spare, no difference. I was guessing it might be the magneto but its $50 price stopped me from doing wild parts swapping looking for the cause. So I bought an ignition tester too and kept the magneto box sealed until the testing was complete.

Sure enough, the ignition tester revealed the magneto had failed over the winter.

Mower is running like a champ once again!

My mower with the Honda GVC160 also failed to start when I took it out for the first time Sunday....I'm hoping it's the carb again...very susceptible to gummed up main jets if not stored exactly right. I miss my old B&S which was much less tempermental although thirstier....

You can prove a magneto has failed without any testers. Pull the flywheel and the small wire off the magneto from the kill switch, loosely install the flywheel so you can spin the engine, still no spark, replace the magneto.

Last edited:
Have a Husqvarna with a Honda and every time It is stored it gums the carb. Old Lawn-Boy, no problem. Briggs has a simple carb compared to the Honda and its easier to take off and clean.

the carb on a Honda mower has a metal fuel bowel with a drain plug. The Honda owner's manual states to shut the fuel off, run the mower and drain the carb for long term storage.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Have a Husqvarna with a Honda and every time It is stored it gums the carb. Old Lawn-Boy, no problem. Briggs has a simple carb compared to the Honda and its easier to take off and clean.

After my last cut, I run the gas dry (not drain) in the mower before storage, as instructed in the manual. So far, no issues.

In my experience Tecumseh and Honda carbs are the easiest to gum up because they seem to have smaller jets and more passages. This allows them to be easier on fuel and better for emissions. Briggs carbs can stand up to old fuel a bit better, but once they start running bad the carburetor usually looks like a disaster inside.

Originally Posted by pbm
My mower with the Honda GVC160 also failed to start when I took it out for the first time Sunday....I'm hoping it's the carb again...very susceptible to gummed up main jets if not stored exactly right. I miss my old B&S which was much less tempermental although thirstier....

I go through this every spring with my pressure washer which has the same engine. Here's what I do:
1. Drain the gas from the tank
2. remove the carb bowl
3. Using a piece of fishing line, I clean the main jet of the carb.

Put everything back together and it starts right up.

Originally Posted by Woody71
Originally Posted by pbm

I go through this every spring with my pressure washer which has the same engine. Here's what I do:
1. Drain the gas from the tank
2. remove the carb bowl
3. Using a piece of fishing line, I clean the main jet of the carb.

Put everything back together and it starts right up.

Every Spring?? Wouldn't it just be easier to open the drain bolt on the carb and drain out all the fuel so it is stored dry in the off season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back