Motul 8100 0W-40 Ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Leo,

Thinking of mixing the 8100 E-tech with 300v 5w-30 (seems that it is a high 30w & the 8100 a low 40w). What do you think?

Not a particularly bad idea I'd probably just go with either oil on their own in a daily driver. Otherwise try to stick with the same 'series' Ie The 5W-30 300V is pretty thick at 12cSt. If you wanted to doctor that up, I suggest maybe a 50/50 with the 10W-40 300V. At 100C its ~14.2 cSt.

I checked out the viscosities and I agree the 5w-30 is a high 30 grade so I gone with it. So far in 2 cars. I did put abt 1/2 ltr of 10w-40 in my Holden V6 just to make up the quantity.

BTW: I did see the M1 10-30 & 0-40 in a local servo, only in Litre bottles at $20 each. No larger containers though.

quote:

Originally posted by 10K-PCW-Jr:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
A guy in my car club sells this oil at his speed shop and he's been begging me to try it out, but even with him knocking a couple of bucks off the price of each bottle, it would still be $11 each, vs $6.66 for GC.

But now he's trying to see if Motul will donate 3 oil changes worth of oil (18L) for free! This guy is really determined to get me to run this oil! I really want to stick with GC though, but at the same time I'm super curious about this oil.
dunno.gif

Patman,
I am really surprised that you did not take them up on their offer. Let them put it in your car, drive it home and drain it out and you can beat your oil change record of 89 miles. Records are made to be broken.

crushedcar.gif

Hi,
Guru, Leo - I've checked in this neck of the woods - north of Brisbane to Townsville ( I have a MobilCard ) and not a drop of M1 SS 10w-30 or 0w-40, or Delvac 1 was to be seen!

M1 SS 5w-50 is around at $A62-/+ for 5ltrs

Thank goodness I buy Delvac 1 in 20ltr containers

Regards

offtopic.gif

Doug, at my local Mobil Distributor I can get D1 for $48 per 5L jug. Even cheaper than M1 SS by quite a bit!!

You should try a few Mobil Distros for the other SS viscocities your looking for. Give Motrex in Adelaide a call. They can ship.

It appears from the spec sheet they may be using a 5.25 cSt diester starter base with some 9.0 cSt hindered polyol esters and loading it up with VII's.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
It appears from the spec sheet they may be using a 5.25 cSt diester starter base with some 9.0 cSt hindered polyol esters and loading it up with VII's.

Is that good?
dunno.gif

Let's see - Mola(Merlin)Kule ???
confused.gif
grin.gif

With regard to the VII's, I have a chart of diester and polyol esters that shows their respective Viscosity Indexes, and neither ester type, even when mixed, will give you the viscosity spread shown in the Motul spec sheet.

We can only hope the VII's are of the shear stable type, such as the Shell Star Molecule variety, which are extremely shear stable.

I also do not think this oil is 100% esters, but a mix of PAO's, diesters, and polyol esters with a hefty dose of VII's. If the volatility was listed, one could determine more precisely the base oil makeup.

[ December 23, 2003, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

I also do not think this oil is 100% esters, but a mix of PAO's, diesters, and polyol esters with a hefty dose of VII's. If the volatility was listed, one could determine more precisely the base oil makeup.

NOACK: 9.8 %

quote:

Thanks Primus,

If that is the case, then the oil is NOT a major ester-base oil but an oil with PAO's and Esters.

My chart shows ester volatilities of 2-3% for 5 cSt esters, so draw your own conclusions.

bowdown.gif
MolaKule!

Even though it's bad news...
mad.gif

quote:

Thanks Primus,

If that is the case, then the oil is NOT a major ester-base oil but an oil with PAO's and Esters.

My chart shows ester volatilities of 2-3% for 5 cSt esters, so draw your own conclusions.

So would you say this oil is "worth" the $10-12/L most retailers are asking?

Thanks Primus,

I dont reckon its worth US$10/L at all. Thats a complete joke. It shouldnt be priced more than M1 SS.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Ferrari,

Well, my French is a little rusty, but ...

This looks like a 100% diester (di-basic acid ester) synthetic. In that respect, it's similar to the basestock Amsoil used from 1972 until about 1980 or so. Motul is using low viscosity esters, hence the extremely low PP and modest flash point.

I ran the ester based, Amsoil 10w-40 for several years in my 1976, Datsun 620 pickup and really liked it. The esters keep the engine clean enough to eat off of.

With these types of synlubes, you can chemically engineer some of the desirable properties into the basestock, so the required additive "treat" level is less. You really can't compare the add pack to a PAO in that sense.

It's probably not an oil you'd find in Lynn & **** Cheneys garage out in Jackson Hole,
wink.gif
but I like it ....Seriously though, it should flow as well as the S2000 you used last year. How do prices compare on the two oils?

TS

And still the $11/L pricetag? this is not fair. If they made their product from polyolesters it would have all the advantages of diesters plus the added stable, and temperature stability is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back