Motorguard Surface Area (Ralph question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

It seems the Motorguard filter suffers from a small top surface area to trap the dirt and needs frequent replacement. I have many round gasket cutters that could be used to make say 1/2 inch holes from the top of the toilet paper down perhaps 1-2 inches. The cuttings would be removed and the resulting hole could double the filter area and the oil would still have at least a 2 1/2 inch mininum depth travel path to the return. Could easily double the effective area of the media. Any cuttings or fuzz generated would be trapped in the upper area and not make it through the filter. I could then up the replacement mileage and save $$$ on replacement oil, Amsoil S2000 0-30. Comments?? Thanks

All of the TP filters work the same way, they keep absorbing contamination until they can't hold any more then the smaller particles start going thru. TP will absorb about 6 lbs of contamination. If you want more surface area use a slightly undersized roll of TP. The seal will be made at the bottom of the core and the outer diameter of the TP at the bottom. The oil can enter the roll of the outer surface to the bottom. Some oil will travel all the way from the top to the bottom. This changes if you reverse the fittings and filter from the bottom up. Personally I like for the roll to be as tight as possible to the housing. The reason the wear rate is less with TP filters is they are economical to service and get changed enough to keep the oil clean and add enough new oil. Normally TP filters get changed before they can't handle any more contamination. People that use TP filters know that the only way synthetic oil is economical is if the filter is economical to service. I have a Frantz oil cleaner that is over 40 years old. My oldest Motor Guard is still in use after almost 40 years. I have never drilled holes in an element. If my engine was that dirty I would put a big 4 gallon filter in the trunk and run oil lines to it. The element is 7 1.2 wide and 16" long and filters from the outside to the middle. It will take an over the road truck 15,000 miles and my Ford diesel about 30,000 miles between filter changes.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back