Motorcycle oil - Honda Lawn Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I have a 5.5hp Honda Lawn Mower, runs great, last changed the oil with some Castrol 10w30. It says to use 16oz of 10w30 oil, which I have some 10w40 Castrol 4T Motorcycle oil I have no use for now, is it safe to use? Or should I just use some Castrol GTX HM 10w30 that I have laying around?

It's a mower. It'll probably run on just about anything.

I run straight 30 in mine, but I wouldn't have a problem using 10w-30 either. Straight 30 should be more shear stable and less volatile though.

The 40 will work great in the mower, lots of zinc in the motorcycle oil, as hot as phoenix is 10w 40 sounds good.

I have the Honda HRX. Ran Rotella 15w-40 for a couple years, then switched to Rotella 5w-40 and been using it for a few years or so now.
If I recall, Honda recommended 10-30. No problems with the Rotella and I'll continue using it. No noticeable consumption - still on the full mark when OC comes due. I change the oil once a year, spring.

You should not use it because it has a motorcycle on the front of it. You can only use it if you remove the label from the bottle so there will not be a motorcycle on it. If you draw a picture of a lawn mower on it, it will protect even better!!
lol.gif

I have two Honda-powered lawn mowers, and one is even a Honda-branded lawn mower, and I've used Rotella 15W-40 and 10W-30 in them before with no issues. I will say that they were easier to crank and start on the 30 grade, especially in cooler temperatures. Anymore, I use 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back