Motorcycle NX650.....Fly, Buy and Ride...... Delo

Status
Not open for further replies.
After selling my Honda XL600.....I have found my new love.... A 1988 Honda NX650. I found her in Salt Lake City. After a fly and buy, I rode her home to Colorado the past couple of days. It was fun to be on my new bike, but the rain and snow (namely over Soldier Summit), was a bit of a challenge. Three times I had to pull over to scrape the snow and ice off my shield.

Yep....upon purchasing....I promptly poured in Delo 15w40 to scrub her out on the trip home.

Picture002-3.jpg

Yeah...that is snow falling......

Picture009-3.jpg

Soldier Summit....snow on the sign.

Picture010-1.jpg

Finally, I get to a little warmer air. This pic is located, just before I arrive in Price, UT.

Picture023.jpg

And finally, I arrive at the state line.

Picture035.jpg

Rolling into Grand Junction at as the light fades, I spend the night with my sister.

Picture039.jpg

Leaving this morning, I was treated to dry weather (thank God), but the temps were in the 30's.

Picture041.jpg

The Fall colors were awesome on the Western Slope of Colorado.

Picture048-1.jpg

This pic looks great....but I was freezing my [censored] off.... yeah, it was cold as I slide over the Continental Divide.

Picture053.jpg

Running the twisties home, on Hwy 50 between Salida and Canyon City.

Picture062.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures, nice bike, fun trip. Although that's not the bike I would want to make that trip.

By the way, how many miles on that 21 year old Honda? Looks to be in excellent condition.

If you know anything about these Honda's....you know that the RFVC engines are nearly bullet-proof and can last and last and last.....

With that said, this bike is a 1988 (21 years old) with 21k miles on it. That is an average of 1,000 miles a year. The bike has been babied, garaged and very well cared-for.

In the next couple of weeks, we are going to tear into the top end and check the valves as well as, replace a couple of cover gaskets on the lower end (tiny seeps of oil).

Summer of 2010....I am very, very temped to stripe the bike completely down, clean and repaint. A little different look for the NX....but I am pondering going with the classic Honda Red color.

At least the tires aren't real knobby. What kind of outfit keeps a rider sane at 33'F? You must have looked like the Michelin Man!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
At least the tires aren't real knobby. What kind of outfit keeps a rider sane at 33'F? You must have looked like the Michelin Man!
wink.gif

+1 What gear?

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Originally Posted By: eljefino
wink.gif

+1 What gear?

As any rider knows, it is all about the gear when it is below 50 degrees......and I was riding in 28 degrees, rain and snow.

I have Fieldsheer Booster Pants and a Siberia Jacket. Fox Boots, and ...... my Marmot Ski Gloves that have a Gortex liner. I wore my REI thermals, jeans and a fleece under the Fieldsheer.

I was a little chilly at times, but for the most part....I only had to deal with inconveniences like snow build-up on the face shield.

Picture1104-1-1.jpg

Wow. Looks like one heck of a trip!

Nice pics - you've got guts riding when snow is falling....one ice patch and you're in trouble....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back