motorcycle ignition advancers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone hear have or had experience with the Factory Pro ignition advancers for sportbikes? I am interested in picking one up for my 1990 CBR600F but I have read mixed reviews about them. I read that they are great and also read about how they take away HP at certain RPMs. My bike's timing at idle is 15 degrees BTDC and adding on another 4 or 6 degrees seems fishy to me. I under stand that I will ahve to run higher octane but can somebody help with my decision?

I have a 5 degree advancer in my 94 CBR 600F-2 and it runs fine on 87 octane. I bought the bike new and installed the advance at about 15,000 miles it now has around 102,000 miles on it and it still runs like new and it doesnt consume any oil to say.

-Daryl

Cheap and ez to put in and try? on a 1990 cbr probably wouldn't cause any problems. Some of the later 600's have the compression pushed up pretty high so advancing the timing may not be such a good idea.

They usually shift the torque and hp peak rpm down which gives a perception of more power in the "real world" riding rpms. They can rob from high rpm power.

I've heard of guys that removed them because it made the bike hard to start also.

Last edited:
I was reading some dyno graphs for an F3, the HP line didn't change. From what it looks like, the HP doesn't really change but since the timing is advanced the bike will feel quicker when you lay on the throttle. Even if you lose 1 or 2 HP at the top you could never feel that loss but the extra boost in the bottom would be a fair trade off.

Put one in a zx7 and it worked fine until I loaded it up with luggage for a sport-tour. It then got knock pulling long hills in higher gears. A downshift was the cure, but without the advance it would have towed the higher gear with out ping, I took it out. Prem fuel was must, before it was an option.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Put one in a zx7 and it worked fine until I loaded it up with luggage for a sport-tour. It then got knock pulling long hills in higher gears. A downshift was the cure, but without the advance it would have towed the higher gear with out ping, I took it out. Prem fuel was must, before it was an option.

As for performance, how did you like it? Could you tell of any boosts anywhere in the powerband?

Yea thats about right both of my CBR 600's repond about the same just a little more thottle responds but no more power. I do also have a 87 f-1 with a four or five degree advancer same with my f-2, the f-1 still runs good with the advance with 106,000 miles on the engine.I also run 87 octane in my 87 without any problem.

-Daryl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back