Motorcycle exhaust noise levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, so, when did the EPA last go after a manufacturer because their exhaust systems do not comply with regulations?

It hasn't been a priority for them. Reason I heard is that the funding for noise control programs was cut years ago.
Don’t blame funds, if it’s such a problem for you as you seem to indicate, perhaps it’s not a priority because very few whine about it enough to warrant some kind of action.

Don’t blame funds, if it’s such a problem for you as you seem to indicate, perhaps it’s not a priority because very few whine about it enough to warrant some kind of action.

I expect that the EPA will eventually start doing their job and regulating the noise pollution coming from motorcycles.

Then the whining will come from the people who ride them as they moan about how this is a free country and they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

This is what happened when North Carolina banned squatted trucks, based on the comments I saw on the news articles about it.

Reactions: Pew
"Hey nobody is looking at us!"

BRUBBRUBRBUBRBUB

*Comes up to a stoplight*
Gotta make sure the bike is on!
*REVS ENGINE TO THE MOON*

I have a friend with a window shaker exhaust on his HD but luckily he understands my cul-de-sac echos so he starts his up and immediately leaves. I can hear him at the light a mile away though.

Do you know the speed of light? seems I outrun my own apparition too (so I get what the ems drivers are thought)

I drive a bus, and if I drive the speed limit in certain intersections (on the priority road btw) I'm guaranteed to total a car each time. My bus doesn't have a speedo that over reads by a couple mph like cars do It's enough difference for people to risk getting t-boned by a 30 ton bus. They also don't realise that the bus slows more gradually when using the car in front as a brake vs an emergency brake. Should I trade 1 injured in the car to 30 or so in my bus when I slam the brakes?
drove schoolies for 10 years ......... 186,000 miles per second

1697304934284.jpeg

That's a no, dawg.

As for the "loud pipes save lives" it's useless in an urban environment where the noise echoes off of buildings and could be coming from anywhere. If one is concerned about someone pulling in front of them, directing all that noise behind oneself is ineffective.

My state has a vehicle noise law, and it's looser than the federal standards. It's still not enforced. The Venn diagram of cops and bikers seems to have significant overlap.

As for bikes in blind spots, this doesn't happen to me. They aren't an Avalon on cruise control mindlessly rolling down the middle lane 2/10 of MPH faster than me. They aren't playing on their phones, and are actually paying attention to the road.

This is incorrect. There are laws regarding noise levels and if the exhaust is over that level it's illegal regardless of who modified it.

Thank you for clarification. Could have been urban legend or my source of that was wrong. In real life, there is no evidence to suggest LEO's are citing motorcycle riders for noise violations, so I had no reason to doubt the rumor. If they can pull you over for a loud stereo, they should do the same for bikes. Just sayin' ;)

I expect that the EPA will eventually start doing their job and regulating the noise pollution coming from motorcycles.

Then the whining will come from the people who ride them as they moan about how this is a free country and they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

This is what happened when North Carolina banned squatted trucks, based on the comments I saw on the news articles about it.
why? According to your earlier post, funding depletion has prevented that. Why would it change since it’s obvious that it’s not that big a deal to most Americans.

as for the trucks, when you can’t see over your dash because of the squat, it’s a safety issue. As for me, I have no problems seeing or hearing over my epa approved pipes.

why? According to your earlier post, funding depletion has prevented that. Why would it change since it’s obvious that it’s not that big a deal to most Americans.

Why did the EPA finally start cracking down on diesel tuners? Would it be because too many people were "rolling coal" and others complained about it to their elected officials? Could something similar happen with loud exhausts? I think so.

as for the trucks, when you can’t see over your dash because of the squat, it’s a safety issue. As for me, I have no problems seeing or hearing over my epa approved pipes.

Good for you. There's lots of pipes out there, which nobody can hear over. Is that a safety issue? It could be.

They subject cars to exhaust levels however motorcycles are given a pass by law enforcement except in locales with noise ordinances. Motorcycles with stock exhausts seem really quiet even Harley and sport bikes.

My wife/I were traveling on RT95 around Boston and a bike about 1/4 mile ahead made conversation difficult our Tiguan doing 75 MPH.

Why is that ?

You noticed the rider and didn't inadvertently run him down because you didn't know he was there.

That's why.

Why did the EPA finally start cracking down on diesel tuners? Would it be because too many people were "rolling coal" and others complained about it to their elected officials? Could something similar happen with loud exhausts? I think so.

Good for you. There's lots of pipes out there, which nobody can hear over. Is that a safety issue? It could be.
There we go again, diverting from exhaust to tuners…. Fuel vs decibel levels.

or, could save a life, like it did mine.

You noticed the rider and didn't inadvertently run him down because you didn't know he was there.

That's why.

Having my wife follow me, and me follow my wife in a car and the other way around, and having ridden a Zero EV bike, I can tell you the sound has nothing to do with it

You can't even hear a bike come up on you most of the time in modern cars

That's why.
The rider was on a death wish darting between vehicles including 18 wheelers in right spaces across 4 lanes of highway.

I don’t think he cared much for his life or anyone else.

I have had to drive by two different motorcyclists who died on scene or shortly thereafter this year due to my 11 year old not needed to see a bloody mess in road.

There we go again, diverting from exhaust to tuners…. Fuel vs decibel levels.

Same agency is charged with enforcing both. My point is that even though they don't enforce it today is no guarantee that that they won't in the future.

or, could save a life, like it did mine.

I think the life saving value of loud pipes is overrated. My experience has been that "loud pipes" are a lot more noticeable in one's house, where it disturbs one's peaceful quiet enjoyment of their property, than they are in a vehicle. Ambient noise levels in a house are much lower than in a vehicle.

Why not just install a loud horn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back