Motorcycle exhaust noise levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has HD ever been in violation by the EPA over its exhaust systems?

Has ANYONE ever been found in violation by the EPA over their exhaust systems?

Funding for the EPA to enforce noise pollution regulations was cut decades ago.

Knowing that the EPA focuses their enforcement on air pollution, Harley still sold tuners in violation of those regulations.

I can only guess what their attitude towards noise pollution regulations is..

....well, no need to GUESS. I can hear it on a regular basis.

Virginia has safety inspections and as long as the exhaust system is intact (not leaking), it can be as loud as you want and still pass.
Yes that is why I commented to the OP in New Hampshire is a state issue.
I can only assume many complaints are urban areas. Im in the coastal Carolinas with tons of motorcycles but I dont notice what the OP is talking about. Then again, believe it or not, I am whatever will be kind of person, not to rule over others enjoyment within reason.

Let's face it, we all know a percentage of the population likes to comment on another. Me for instance thinks it is silly but whatever.
Even more silly to me, simply because I enjoy quality audio is the blasting music on a motorcycle. I have a Harley and I dont get it, I wouldnt enjoy it but once again it is a fraction of the motorcycle riders that do so why care?

We have the same types of complaints about people driving cars too slow, people not turning on red, everyone wants to rule over another.
Re-peat I do think overly loud exhaust is definitely not for me and I think blasting radios of any kind are silly, same with the HUGE thump-thump of the subwoofers in cars that you can hear from a tenth mile away but whatever/ its easy to single out a group while ignoring all the other bad in the world that bothers people.

SO goes todays sermon ... ;)

Funding for the EPA to enforce noise pollution regulations was cut decades ago.

Knowing that the EPA focuses their enforcement on air pollution, Harley still sold tuners in violation of those regulations.

I can only guess what their attitude towards noise pollution regulations is..

....well, no need to GUESS. I can hear it on a regular basis.
So the answer is "no". Got it. Last I remember, Tuners are not exhausts, and exhausts are what we are discussing, is it not?

@Propflux01
YES of course they have. To repeat, states enforce noise standards. The EPA does not pull over motorcycles and test decibel levels, that is a STATE action.
The EPA will hold CORPORATIONS and companies responsible to sell products that adhere to their standards.
Ok, over and out for me! Click on the regulations below. Mis-information is rampant in the digital age ;)

Click to official Gov site.

BTW- notice at the top of the page = "

Displaying title 40, up to date as of 10/11/2023. Title 40 was last amended 10/11/2023

For those that care not to click above = a snippet

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.48.01 AM.png

EPA's role in noise control, click below=

"While primary responsibility for control of noise rests with State and local governments, Federal action is essential to deal with major noise sources in commerce, control of which require national uniformity of treatment. EPA is directed by Congress to coordinate the programs of all Federal agencies relating to noise research and noise control."

Last edited:
There are 3 HD’s in my neighborhood … Two guys with good mufflers and just run them smoothly through the gears … Sound nice …
The loud pipe dude runs it like the jackass he is …
MY 96
sportster is loud when you get on it, so I live in a retired area and leave as quiet as I can till out get out of the neighborhood,,,,no one has complained yet, but many are hard of hearing,,,lol, Im 77 and I wear hearing aides,,

The problem is that most of the noise goes behind the bike where it isn't that useful for safety. What is really needed is to warn car drivers up ahead who might pull out in front of you. I suggest making the straight pipes into a U shape with the outlet facing forward just behind the rider's head.

I'm annoyed by just seeing a Harley. It's because of those idiots running them with no mufflers and revving them up all the time.
All noise and no go. About any Jap bike can take them out in a hurry and they cost less.

Laws should be consistent between autos and motos. If I can't straight pipe my car, neither should they.

louD pIPEs sAVE liVes

this ^ note that ems drivers are taught that you out run your sirens at about 60 mph.
yes i know what the speed of sound is.

Do you know the speed of light? seems I outrun my own apparition too (so I get what the ems drivers are thought)

I drive a bus, and if I drive the speed limit in certain intersections (on the priority road btw) I'm guaranteed to total a car each time. My bus doesn't have a speedo that over reads by a couple mph like cars do It's enough difference for people to risk getting t-boned by a 30 ton bus. They also don't realise that the bus slows more gradually when using the car in front as a brake vs an emergency brake. Should I trade 1 injured in the car to 30 or so in my bus when I slam the brakes?

"While primary responsibility for control of noise rests with State and local governments, Federal action is essential to deal with major noise sources in commerce, control of which require national uniformity of treatment. EPA is directed by Congress to coordinate the programs of all Federal agencies relating to noise research and noise control."

Yes, so, when did the EPA last go after a manufacturer because their exhaust systems do not comply with regulations?

It hasn't been a priority for them. Reason I heard is that the funding for noise control programs was cut years ago.

Yes that is why I commented to the OP in New Hampshire is a state issue.
I can only assume many complaints are urban areas.

I live in a rural area and going for a ride in the country is a common pastime of the loud pipes Harley crowd. It's probably even more obnoxious in rural areas because they tend to be quieter to begin with, compared to urban areas.

I remember being a young teenager we had a new neighbor George move in across the street. Nice guy him and my dad got along just fine. On early Sunday mornings weather permitting he would take his loud Harley for a ride full throttle right out of the garage. Dad caught him one morning and told him love you George but I'm giving you one warning pull away nice n quiet moving forward or we going to have a problem that I prefer not to have and you definitely don't want to have. George being a nice neighbor got the hint and did the right thing.
Many years ago when I was younger and dumb I would slide around a corner on the dirt road. One day the neighbor lady, an ornery black woman told me that " if you dont slow your a$$ down around that corner im going to kick it". I got the hint.

MY 96
sportster is loud when you get on it, so I live in a retired area and leave as quiet as I can till out get out of the neighborhood,,,,no one has complained yet, but many are hard of hearing,,,lol, Im 77 and I wear hearing aides,,
Did not want to start another anti boomer rage - but the guy hot rodding is by far the youngest …
Older cats make more noise with Jimmy Buffet than exhaust 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back