Motorcraft Syn-Blend 5W20 3209 miles 04 Ford 150

Status
Not open for further replies.
11-30-2009FordUOA1.jpg

This along with the Acura post, this was my first run of reports. The fuel dilution scares me. As they stated city driving, which is my bread and butter, could be the cause. I take trips on the average of 3-6 miles. In the winter, the truck doesn't even get completely warm. I have the tan cream at the top of the fill cap. Once again, I am trying to extend my drain intervals. What do you think about the report?

Last edited:
It's funny you should ask. I changed it on the Nov 30th, same day as the oil. It looked pretty rough. Totally makes sense. Thanks

If you are getting cream I am not sure extending the oil change interval is in the picture . Are you sure the thermostat etc is in working order? Though your miles aren't enough to warm up the oil.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
If you are getting cream I am not sure extending the oil change interval is in the picture . Are you sure the thermostat etc is in working order? Though your miles aren't enough to warm up the oil.

+1

Try a full syn if you're driving routine/habits continue. And try to bring that truck for a 30 minutes highway drive periodically would ya!
grin2.gif

Yea, that's just it. I make some very short trips. The moisture is rarely evaporated from the oil. Especially in the late fall and winter months. The big problem is I work 24 hours and I am off 48 hours etc... so the truck sits 24 hours every three days. The driving habits will always be the same.

I would consider going to the Full Synthetic 5W20 Motorcraft...You should be able to extend your OCI's easily with that with your type of short trip severe driving.

I would need to try something else in a full syn because for some reason, no one sells the full syn except the dealer in this area. At least I haven't found it in any stores.

Try the PP you're using in the TL. Should do fine in this application for 5-6k miles. But seriously, try to take that truck for a solid drive periodically. You'll be doing it a huge favor!

If you work 24 and off 48, you are telling us in the 48 hours you are off you don't drive? And I thought I was boring.......
27.gif
grin2.gif

Joking. Anyways in my opinion you should NOT be using synthetic, and should NOT be extending your drains. Also consider making a cardboard air dam in front of your radiator. I sandwich mine in between the radiator and a/c condensor and I cut a 6"x6" square in the center so the mechanical fan clutch still works.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
If you work 24 and off 48, you are telling us in the 48 hours you are off you don't drive? And I thought I was boring.......
27.gif
grin2.gif

Joking. Anyways in my opinion you should NOT be using synthetic, and should NOT be extending your drains. Also consider making a cardboard air dam in front of your radiator. I sandwich mine in between the radiator and a/c condensor and I cut a 6"x6" square in the center so the mechanical fan clutch still works.

I agree stick with 3k ocis and forget synthetic if the oil is getting diluted.

mnm567: I share the same climate as you (just over the border in Ohio from Fort Wayne). I also have the same truck, or nearly so ('05 F150 w/5.4L). I don't share your driving situation, however, living out in the boonies. My shortest drive is about 10 miles, mostly at 55-60 mph.

Overall, I agree with defektes above. Short OCI (3K), no syn (the Motorcraft blend is OK) and stick with a 5W20 grade. The cardboard idea will get the truck up to temp faster, but a block heater would do even better.

If you do a Google on "block heater" or "engine heater" (or some such variation of terms) you will get a wealth of info on how block heaters reduce fuel consumption and emissions in northern cities. They do it by eliminating most of the "cold" part of a cold start. I have them on a couple of diesel engines, and on the one I can monitor with a gauge, it warms the coolant in the block up to about 150 degrees after 2 hours in operation. If you leave it on all night, you can feel a little warmth in the radiator too. A block heater would drastically shorten the warmup time for your truck and get it into closed loop operation much faster (when the EFI switches from the cold start enrichment mode to where the O2 sensors start trimming the fuel). That will help with the fuel dilution issue a lot. To some degree, a block heater will also warm the oil.

Cheapskate that I am, I'd start with the cardboard (remember to remove it for a long trip or warm weather) and monitor. Overall, your test report isn't that bad. There are far worse reports. We tend to parse things pretty strongly here but long term, this problem is worth addressing.

A dirty air filter will not cause fuel dilution on an EFI engine, nor effect fuel economy unless it's completely plugged... and then only marginally. Simply read the PDF linked below to learn how for yourself.

/www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf>

Air Filters and Fuel Economy

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! I have given the block heater much thought in the past and look to purchase one in the near future. It totally makes sense about the open loop scenario as it pertains to my short, cold trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back