Most wrench sets don't contain a 18mm wrench ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several combination and socket sets. Mone of them have a 18mm wrench. Of course I never knew I needed on until after I started working on a mid 2000's Volvo. Forunately I found a neighbor that had previously run into this probelm and had pruchased some. I may have to be on the lookout for some (yard sales etc) in case the need for that size arises again.

18mm is something I find on the oddest places on my Jeep. And 15mm. Every socket and wrench set I have seen is always missing these.

I now have multiple sets of each.

It's the same reason a lot of wrench sets skip 20 mm. Those sizes are not used much.

Now, that doesn't mean you don't need them. It all depends what you work on.

I find 18mm to be a popular size for suspension fasteners. With suspension being some of the toughest work, I like to arm myself with all different types of sockets and wrenches in that size when tackling these tasks. A thinwall, 12-pt, 3/8" drive socket just doesn't do it.

Again, it's a mystery why tool sets skip over that size.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I find 18mm to be a popular size for suspension fasteners. With suspension being some of the toughest work, I like to arm myself with all different types of sockets and wrenches in that size when tackling these tasks. A thinwall, 12-pt, 3/8" drive socket just doesn't do it.

And if you are BMW you like to use different sizes for the bolt head and the nut.

I don't know where you guys are buying your tools from. All the tool manufacturers I shop from have the 18mm in the wrench sets. If you were a tool dealer and rolled up to a shop without including 18mm in your wrench sets, they'd tell you to get lost and never come back.

+6 on the suspension stuff. I think the inner thread diameter is some industry standard but they shave a mm off the outer to save metal, unsprung weight, and/or give more access. The castle nut on a ball joint of a FWD car is a great example.

I got a "great neck" 18mm wrench some-odd years ago and have used the open end on a pretty night nut, hammering the other end with a 2 lb sledge and it hasn't deformed yet.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't know where you guys are buying your tools from. All the tool manufacturers I shop from have the 18mm in the wrench sets. If you were a tool dealer and rolled up to a shop without including 18mm in your wrench sets, they'd tell you to get lost and never come back.

Seriously, my MATCO sets all came with 18mm. I bought individual wrenches up as high as they reasonably went for doing alignments.

18mm is also popular on power steering pressure side hoses on Chrysler and gm. That is why I bought a 18mm flare nut socket

I had this issue with 14mm as well. I now make sure that the socket sizes are all increasing by 1 from smallest to largest when I buy a new set.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And if you are BMW you like to use different sizes for the bolt head and the nut.

bmw might spec different grease for the nut and the head

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Which at first I didn't get... Until I realized it meant I could do anything with just one set of wrenches or sockets without need to duplicate. Not a bad philosophy once I thought about it...

Originally Posted By: Mitch
18mm is also popular on power steering pressure side hoses on Chrysler and gm. That is why I bought a 18mm flare nut socket

Ford as well.

P-steering lines were 18mm and I ended up buying a metric crows foot set, crows foot flare set, and metric stubby wrench set to deal with them. Now in hindsight, I could have gotten by with a single 18mm of each item, but noooo. Tool purchases are impulsive when young.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back