more engine clatter using M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/gals,

Just changed my emgine oil on my 01 Durango and noticed that going back to Mobil 1 from trying Quaker State "Q" their seems/appears to be more engine clatter compared to using the "Q".

No real issues to me cuz it goes away after about 30 seconds but it does make me wonder why.

The "Q" made my V-8 more quieter with less clatter compared to the Mobil 1.

I'm no scientist and I didn't get the oil analyzed so the only real report I can tell you all is that the "Q" appears to be a fine oil and it's cheaper than M1.

Can anyone possibly tell me why the difference in the oils and why might it cause more clatter using one oil over the other???

Both was the same weight 5W-30.

Thanks,

Durango

I'm not sure what causes it, but it's something many have said about M1. I personally have not noticed this with using it. It would annoy me too.

Right. The oil filter is most likely the cause.
Engines can be picky about this [anti drainback valving].

Even though many find that their engines are noisier with M1, since your noise goes away after a short time, it is most likely the filter.

My car`s engine sounded slightly "metallic" with M1. Quietest/smoothest running engine with all the various oils I`ve tried have been with Royal Purple and Valvoline VR1..........especially on wot runs.

I think the M1 is usually "thinner" in grade than many oils. Try the Q or some PP next time.

Originally Posted By: Durango
I use Mopar filters from the dealership as a standard.

Durango

I have the same engine. Still, It's a drainback valve issue in the filter.

I had the same issue with Mobil 1. I switched to Amsoil and sometimes Redline and never had a sound. If it was just at startup I would say it's the oil filter (Fram).

I've never had an issue with it in my Taurus. But my wife's '99 Civic has become noticeably louder with M1. I won't use it again on her car.

Had this issue on a 99 acura TL. Switched to Redline 5W-30, no more issues. The car also seemed to have alot more consumption while using Mobil 1 5W-30. I am now using PP 5W-30 and the engine is still quiet and barely uses any oil between OCI's.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But guys, the noise goes away after 30 seconds.
That is not an oil brand problem.

I used a few years ago a bunch of different oil filters on my Honda Accord and Ford Ranger 4 cyls to experiment. The biggest difference was the time to full oil pressure. In both vehicles, Purolator PureOnes/Motorcrafts or Honda OEM were the fastest and least noisy. Some was really noticable.

30 seconds is not a drainback issue. Screw an empty filter on there and you will never get 30 seconds worth of noise. It's probably a piston slap issue that gets worse with the thinner M1.

I use Amsoil Filter because it has one of the best flow rates, and I use their oil because I have had good results with it. I switched from QS-Peak to Mobil-1 then to Amsoil to resolve the same type of issue. Never had it after Amsoil...

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
30 seconds is not a drainback issue. Screw an empty filter on there and you will never get 30 seconds worth of noise. It's probably a piston slap issue that gets worse with the thinner M1.

That sounds about right to me. M1 10W-30 only has a 100C cSt of 10, just barely a 30 grade, and the 40C cSt is just 62. Folk think I am crazy because I use M1 15W-50 in everything, even if it calls for a 5W-20, but, check the product data sheets for M1 15W-50. Just slightly better than a 40 and very low pour point.

PAO has poor lubricity properties especially at temps under 150F...Trade-off for better very low and very high temp stability.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

That could be a really likely possibilty with some engines, but don't discount the filter. I have had some filters with 5W-30 synthetic take that long and have the problem go away with another brand of filter.

So now you have two possibilities.

Everyone knows Mobil1 is very noisy!
LOL.gif

Run it long enough and you might as well:
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back