Mopar Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mopar Oil in all my vehicles for years with no oil related problems but have often wondered who makes it for them. The service guy at the dealership said he "thought" it was Mobil. Does anyone here know?
The reason I use Mopar is that by using my Dodge Visa card, I accumulate points that can be turned into "Dealer Dollars" that can be spent at the dealership. Since I pay off the card at the end of each month, I've never paid a penny in interest, but still accumulate points. So, in the end, I get all my oil and filters for free. I just wonder what kind of oil the Mopar oil is. Anyone?

Quote:

I've been using Mopar Oil in all my vehicles for years with no oil related problems but have often wondered who makes it for them. The service guy at the dealership said he "thought" it was Mobil. Does anyone here know?
The reason I use Mopar is that by using my Dodge Visa card, I accumulate points that can be turned into "Dealer Dollars" that can be spent at the dealership. Since I pay off the card at the end of each month, I've never paid a penny in interest, but still accumulate points. So, in the end, I get all my oil and filters for free. I just wonder what kind of oil the Mopar oil is. Anyone?

Yes, it is made by Exxon/Mobil for Chrysler Corp.

welcome.gif
to BITOG.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it is made by Exxon/Mobil for Chrysler Corp.

welcome.gif
to BITOG.

And it appears to be Esso in Canada (three star bottle)- which in the end is ExxonMobil.

Just be aware that some dealers will stock the factory "brand" in bottles, but the oil they buy in bulk for oil changes may be whatever the local distributor has the best price on.

Quote:

Just be aware that some dealers will stock the factory "brand" in bottles, but the oil they buy in bulk for oil changes may be whatever the local distributor has the best price on.

I have definitely seen evidence of this at some our "reputable" dealers in my region- they often buy the cheapest stuff they can get.
puke.gif

My local Dodge dealer buys bulk oil from the Valvoline distribitor. He tells you about it up front. They also stock the Mopar oil, Ive seen it in the show room. It was really priced high like 3.95 a qt, if I remember right.I talked to the Valvoline dealer that sells bulk because I was curious about the prices of drums, 10w30 is alot cheaper than the 5w20. The Valvoline dealer told me he hardly ever sells the 5w20 and if I wanted a drum, he'd have to order it. Hmmmm wonder what my local Dodge dealer is using in all those MDS Hemi's?

...Which is why I will NEVER let a dealership do an oil change on ANY of my engines. In fact, being able to do my own oil is one of my many criteria for a new car. If I can't do it, I don't buy it.

Those points cards are the greatest!!!

I have both BMW and GM cards that I alternate on half year intervals. The charges are paid in full every month so I reap the benefits for free.

As a matter of fact, credit card companies call people who carry no revolving balance "dead beats" because they make the card companies give, give and then give some more with no appreciable benefits for them.

To add insult to injury, my wife uses the Discover card for all her stuff plus toll road charges and Discover winds up giving us between $250 - $500 a year. Is this great country or what? Cheers all !! DV

That's a great deal for someone that shops at the dealership. I just don't know what I could purchase enough of to get free oil. I am assumming you have to spend a bit before you have enough points for 5 or 6 quarts of oil. That would probably take me a while seeing that I have an 03 dodge cummins and I have spent the totle of 40 bucks at the dealer since new. How many points would that be worth?

Thanks guys! Exxon/Mobil is OK with me. I was just curious. Yeah, I don't ever let the dealer change my oil except once when I bought a new car and the first oil change was free. Then, I asked them to use Mopar 10-30 and I watched to make sure they did. I too, don't like the idea of the "bulk" oil in the barrel.
tsmay51, I think you misunderstood. You don't have to use your Dodge Visa at the dealership to get points. You can use it anywhere. We use ours for buying gas, groceries, whatever. I even have some of my bills automatically charged to my Dodge Visa. I would have to pay these anyway so why not get points for it? Like I said, I always pay the card off in full at the end of the month, so I've never paid a penny in interest. We have another lower-interest card that we use in the rare cases where we know we will carry a balance for a while. If you use your Dodge Visa for gas, groceries, and bills you will be surprised how fast you can accumulate enough points for a few cases of oil and filters. Also, I always ask my dealer for the "best" price he can give me on the cases of oil. If they're not willing to discount, go to another dealer. Some will discount their Mopar oil down to about the same price as a good oil at Walmart. I haven't paid for oil, oil filters, or air filters since about 2001, I believe. Oh yeah, and to get the "Dealer Dollars" to use at the dealership, you simply go online and print them off. It's easy and it's just like printing your own money!

Oh, I guess I did misunderstand. I thought you meant you were buying stuff at the dealer and getting the rewards that way. Me and the wife do the same thing but with different vendors. It is a great tool to use.

I dont think there is anything wrong with bulk oil, we used it for years in trucking it looked the same. I hear alot of people say that they dont like bulk oil, but I have never had a problem with it. I looked in bottom of the drums when they were empty after they were cut for burn barrels and they were spotless clean, no debris or scum.

Panzerman, it's not the quality or cleanliness of the bulk oil that concerns me. It's the fact that different engines need different weights, certs, etc. Some engines require 5w20, some 5w30, or 10w30, or 15w40, etc. And I think the dealers use whatever they get the best deal on, probably 10w30. So if you want to make sure you're getting the correct "recommended" oil for your vehicle, I'd suggest not letting them fill your engine with bulk oil from a drum.

You are correct, but the truth is 10w30 is the one shoe that fits all gas engines, it covers a wide enough aray, it will not hurt anything. It is why most dealerships use it and why it is the cheapest to buy, because they sell so much of it. 15w40 is pretty much the norm in diesels and that is what they all get. Alot of people think 5w20 and 10w30 are like apples to oranges, in reality its more like red apples to green apples.

I often wondered that myself BUT since it's Mobil/Exxon I might/may try it one day. I'm a Mobil 1 user in my Durango. No leaks of anykind.

Durango

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back