Mom In Bad Wreck, Needs New Vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we're really glad she's alive.

On June 5, she was driving her 2007 Ford Edge on Union Ave. (busy 4-lane city thoroughfare) in Memphis, having just left work, when an 18-year-old in an Expedition crossed the double yellow line and slammed her, head-on.

She suffered a broken sternum, 8 busted ribs, double pneumothorax (air in thoracic cavity), fractures in cervical vertebrae, and a broken and lacerated left hand (metacarpal), along with the worst contusions I've ever seen (she is 75 and has thin skin).

Good news is that she is a very strong, positive person with strong faith as well, and has done about the best job I can imagine of dealing with all this. She's healing about as well as could be expected, and is even starting to try typing again (she's a professor at UTHSC Memphis, so she types a lot).

So, I thought I'd start a thread here and get some discussion going about what to suggest that she get to replace her Edge. She's not a "car person" and doesn't keep up with what's available, but she knows that I do, so she's asked me to help her choose a replacement vehicle.

My concerns are helping her choose something she'll like and be happy with, and helping her get a good deal on whatever she goes with.

She's been perfectly happy with the Edge, had had zero problems with it in the 10 years she had it, and I think it did an admirable job in protecting her in a very bad crash (I have photos and tried to upload them but I'm now seeing that PhotoBucket wants me to pay for a subscription in order to be able to host photos now). So, she very well may go with another Edge. We're thinking something a few years old with low miles, and in good shape.

The vehicle will be used for transportation to and from work (approximately 30-min. commute), and just running around town for errands, etc. 95% of the time, she won't be carrying any passengers.

She is open to something smaller, like the Escape, but I'm going to suggest that she actually get in one and drive it, since it would feel quite a bit different from what she's been used to for the past 10 years.

She's open to pretty much any brand; it's just going to come down to whether she likes it, overall rep for quality and safety, and what kind of deal she can get. She bought the Edge new, but we're aware now that you pay a pretty big depreciation hit on a brand-new vehicle, which is obviously a personal decision; if you want the latest and greatest, or, want the newest design and features, you might want to go new. But she's thinking she'd rather let somebody else take that hit and get something that's used with 20 or 30 thousand miles but still in very good to excellent condition.

I remember reading here that with some vehicles that have very high resale value, it might not make a lot of sense to buy one that's 1 or 2 years old because it won't save you that much over a new one. So, my question is, what are some of the vehicles in this category that you can get a great deal on?

Might give her something to look forward to, maybe not as exciting as an oil change though.

Yeah I think taking care of Mom's health and recovery are more important than a replacement car right now. Sounds like she might not be driving for a little...hope she has a speedy and full recovery.

Originally Posted By: CT8
More important than a car is that mom gets well.

Definitely! Believe me, I'm in no hurry for her to get back on the road. But she's very independent and she was the one who raised the matter of starting to look for a replacement vehicle. In fact, she just told me today that she thinks she'll be ready to start driving again in the next week or two. So it won't hurt to start looking and seeing what kinds of deals are out there.

Agree on that no driving while chest is healing. I knew someone who was in a accident shortly after his open heart surgery. The results were ghastly but he lived after 3 more weeks in the hospital. Talk to the doctor when that time comes. As for the next vehicle, familiarity may be the best option.

Hope she makes a full recovery. My vote would be for a new or low mileage Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V or Mazda CX5. In my opinion those are the best in class for the small SUVs.

I've seen a lot of dumb driving in the last couple weeks. It seems a ton of people are trying to do u turns and they keep sticking out into traffic. Or like the one guy last weekend that decided he was going do do a U-turn then changed his mind when I was right behind him. That dude was up on the grass median about as fast as I was on the horn. One of the most valuable driving lessons that my brother told me early on was always know where the other vehicles are around you, that way you can switch lanes in a split second if needed, because you don't always have two seconds to check your mirrors.

Staying busy within reason is good for getting better. Maybe spending some time showing her what's available and what you think would be a good choice would be the kind of distraction that is worth considering. It might be one of the things that helps to reduce her use of pain killers and that's a very good thing.

What happened to her means a painful recovery that's going to take some time. This is especially true if she's an active, independent person. The recover today pill has yet to appear. The crash itself is a scary thing. My wife was knocked through a guard rail and down over a bank at about 70 mph on the freeway. It set off all the airbags and chopped down a couple of 12x12 posts holding up the rail that she also took down. Your mother might need some time to deal with just the slam bang of the crash itself to say nothing of the injuries and the trip to the ER with the shiny lights and emergency vehicles. I hope her recovery goes well. Keep us updated.

Wow, glad she's ok.

I'd say you help her buy what speaks to her mental situation. Driving after that might be scary, might bring back thoughts of her trauma, etc.

If the edge makes her comfortable because it did good last time, then that's the right pick. If she wants something bigger/heavier, just objectively verify that it is safer.

With that much injury, seating position might be a big factor too, so she probably wants to spend some decent time in it.

Thinking about this, she may not be comfortable in anything for 6 months or so, Thats major trauma, and she will hurt, be uncomfortable for a while in anything.

I would look at which vehicle has the most seat options for adjustment. Lumbar , angle etc. What feels comfortable now , may not in a few months, as the recovers. Put her in a lot of vehicles and spend for the seat options.

I just checked AutoTrader, in my area used 2015 and newer Ford Edges are about $23,500. But new 2017 base model ones are also $23,500.

The compact to mid size SUV market is quite hot. Buying slightly used may not be much of a deal if that is her concern.

So many good choices but your mum does not seem ready in terms of condition to be out car shopping.

I've had my 2016 KIA Sorento for a little over a year now.
Awesome vehicle, recommend looking at one - SX trim is very nice and is recommended due to better everything, especially sound proofing.
Edge was on the list but the Ford cockpit ergo - instrument panel, console controls - just sucks IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back