Mobile one Group III !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
OK, I'm going to try to bring this thread full circle, and back on course, all at the same time: only blind jerk-offs who can't spell believe that Mobil-1 is really a Group-III oil.
tongue.gif

I think you are being just a bit too critical of blind jerk-offs...those that are, and can spell might take offense? Wait...nevermind, they aren't reading this.

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
I spoke to a guy at walmart. He insisted that Mobile one changed over to group III when they lost the court battle against Castrol.

According to him, M1 converted back to group III since they could not compete with castrol selling group III oil at the cost of full synthetic oil.

confused.gif
dunno.gif

Negative, Batman. Go home.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
FINALLY someone adresses the Mobile vs. Mobil issue.

cheers.gif
lol.gif
FWIW (not much), about the easiest way to get yourself treated like you just stepped off a flying saucer is to pronounce the city's name like the oil maker's (moe-bull), while within city limits. The city, BTW, is moe-BEE-uhl, and if you happen to pronounce the oil this way, then you need to be put into a flying saucer and taken away never to bother any member of the BITOG crowd again.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I spoke to the laundry manager at Winchester Hospital. He mentioned that I may need a labotomy to cure my occasional headaches. I trust him cause he works at a hospital...

offtopic.gif

quote:

And Fiat made good cars....

My 79 strada had 250k miles on it when I gave it away 6 years ago...believe it or not it still runs. the 1.5 liter topped with the weber carb was not too shabby - a dinosaur that I'll stack against any volvo or toy. too bad the electrics were like yesterday's spaghetti.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
I had an Amsoil rep at the state fair tell me Mobil 1 was group III, so it HAS to be true!

A good friend of mine was told the same thing while being trained at the Amsoil facility in Superior, WI. Now it's part of his sales pitch to everyone who asks.

Isn't ExxonMobil the world's largest producer of Group III base stocks? If not, they've got to be right up there with whoever is. Sooner or later, the company's board of directors will be looking hard at cutting costs anywhere it can, people. (PAOs are time and energy intensive to produce - and may become more valuable as a saleable commodity than as an ingredient in ExxonMobil's own products.) Keep an eye on the Mobil 1 website - if and when "PAO" is no longer prominent or even mentioned,...
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
I spoke to the laundry manager at Winchester Hospital. He mentioned that I may need a labotomy to cure my occasional headaches. I trust him cause he works at a hospital...

I have some beer at home that is called "Lobotomy Boch". Picked it up in Ridgecrest , CA. where they brew it. Good kick...try some if you can find it before undergoing the surgical type lobotomy!

I don't question that Mobil 1 is Group IV and better (learned that here), but from their website it is not all that clear. First, I could not find MSDS on it. They describe it as:

quote:

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

So PAOs are definitely stated as being there, but "high-performance fluids" could be interpreted as most anything beyond Group I.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
dustyjoe1 - But were the Fiat electrics as bad as the Lucas stuff on cars from the UK? Lucas nickname here was "The Prince of Darkness"

Oh man sprintman! You're giving some real bad flashbacks from 30+++ years ago
gr_eek2.gif
! Just hearing the term "Lucas" associated with British cars....Oh well it's back to therapy now
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Q:Why do the British drink warm beer?

A:Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Hmmm... So Mobil is downgrading M1 to GroupIII in a "can't lick'em join 'em" reaction to losing the Castrol lawsuit.

But they are also going to all GroupIII in their DC oil in a "ok, you can call it synthetic but we give the **** stuff away" response to losing the same lawsuit.

I guess it makes good business sense - with only one product, inventory costs are so reduced they CAN afford to give the stuff away to the bottom feeders, while making the oil heads subsidize it.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Isn't ExxonMobil the world's largest producer of Group III base stocks? If not, they've got to be right up there with whoever is. Sooner or later, the company's board of directors will be looking hard at cutting costs anywhere it can, people. (PAOs are time and energy intensive to produce - and may become more valuable as a saleable commodity than as an ingredient in ExxonMobil's own products.) Keep an eye on the Mobil 1 website - if and when "PAO" is no longer prominent or even mentioned,...

Actually Exxon Mobil will have a new PAO plant coming on-line in mid-2005. The output will be considered Group IV+, a super-PAO if you will.

This new base stock and the alkylated naphthalenes will give Exxon Mobil additional flexibility in formulating high-performance motor oils. Exxon Mobil is also a significant ester manufacturer.

The trend is toward, not away from, motor oils synthesized from gases.

quote:

Hmmm... So Mobil is downgrading M1 to GroupIII in a "can't lick'em join 'em" reaction to losing the Castrol lawsuit.

1. Mobil is NOT downgrading M1 to Group III's. As Mickey stated, they are currently testing PAO/AN (Group IV/V) formulations in an attempt to reduce blending costs due to the cost of ester formulations. IMHO, the final verdict is NOT out on the formulations now being tested.
2. There was no lawsuit. Search the threads and you will see that was not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back