Mobile browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What web browsers do you use on your mobile devices, such as smart phones and tablets, and why?

I started using the Dolphin browser on my Android OS smart phone and Nook tablet a few years back because it was a top recommended app when I got my first smartphone, but I have become increasingly dissatisfied with it as it seems to be rather unstable at times. I can be slow to adopt and accept change, especially when it comes to software, and I generally do not have much patience when trying to learn new programs, so trying out a large number of different browser apps over the course of a few weeks is not going to work for me. I am hoping to narrow that list down to a top three and see if I can stomach a change to one of those after playing with them for a few days each.

I primarily use the browser to visit BITOG, Rockauto, O'Reilly's (I hate that site!), and the mobile versions of a few sports teams and occasionally a news site or two. If I can do it with an app (Autozone, etc.), I go that route instead.

Chrome came with my phone, so that's what I've been using. For the infrequent browsing that I do, it suits me just fine, so I did not even bother experimenting with others.

I HATE mobile web sites. Flash aside, my smartphone runs full websites just fine, and the lack of flash has had very little effect on usability.

So I tend to just run Safari until I hit an occasionally poor site that doesnt easily offer me the option to run in normal full desktop form. When I get one of those, I run Atomic Web, set up to tell the website that I am running a desktop browser.

Did I mention I HATE mobile web sites?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Chrome came with my phone, so that's what I've been using. For the infrequent browsing that I do, it suits me just fine, so I did not even bother experimenting with others.

Same here.

Try Next. It's a good alternative to Dolphin.

Chrome is outstanding on newer device, but on anything more than a year old it tends to chug along at times.

I've heard of others with a similar experience with Dolphin as you. I used Dolphin before I had an ICS device.

Then I switched to Chrome, so I have Chrome on my work computer, personal desktop, personal laptop, Note 2, Thrive Tablet, iPhone.

I like the sharing of information across all platforms.

I dislike mobile sites as well, and with a screen like the Note 2 has viewing desktop sites are no problem.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I HATE mobile web sites. Flash aside, my smartphone runs full websites just fine, and the lack of flash has had very little effect on usability.

So I tend to just run Safari until I hit an occasionally poor site that doesnt easily offer me the option to run in normal full desktop form. When I get one of those, I run Atomic Web, set up to tell the website that I am running a desktop browser.

Did I mention I HATE mobile web sites?

You must have good eyes. I can barely read my iPhone 4s as full sites are too small. I like the make into a readable format(akin to pdf) in Safari.

I use Chrome on my iPhone sometimes but its quite decent on my $150 Nexus tablet I have.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
IE. It works well enough for most things.

IE on an Android device? I don't think it exists, at least not officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back