Mobil1 synthetic grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering what the general opinion is regarding this red grease. I have been usisn it for quite some time on easy-lube hub bearings(2 trailers) and on all of my grease fittings on my trucks.

What concerns me is the way the grease seems unstable. When it gets warm it liquifies and some of the red juice separates out. Any advice on a better lube would be helpful. SPICER

I use Valvoline Full Synthetic grease. It is dark gray in color and from my experience with it, it doesn't separate like the M1 does. Both Autozone and Pep Boys sell the Valvoline if I remember right.

For what it's worth......All (that I know of) rebuilders of C-3 generation Corvette rear spindle assemblies use Mobil 1. These are sealed units using Timkin bearings with very close end play tolerances. It is a demanding job that you don't want to do again for as long as posssible....and I speak from experience here. There is a major re-builder in Florida that (if I remember right) has never had a failure on one of their units.
I'm sure there are other high quality products out there, but M1 seems to be the preferred product on the corvette forums.

Redline CV2 seems to have a good reputation, although I use NEO Z12 in wheel bearings.
This is their all purpose synthetic, Lithium complex grease.
Never, ever had it bleed or seperate in 11 years of use.

I may be wrong but I understand that separation is a normal (and desireable) process when the grease gets heated, and does not reflect on the grease quality. The issue of grease quality is whether the oil gets reabsorbed when it cools down.

I found Mobil 1 grease to be so much better than the Pennzoil high temp wheel bearing grease that I'd been using that I threw the Pennzoil out. Even for mundane things like hood latches, gates, and such the Mobil 1 is noticeably very much better. The separation initially worried me, but the idea of of some separation seems to be a good thing as a stiff, high tack grease will tend to get displaced and not reflow to areas that obviously need lubrication.

I think that I noticed such a thing with the CV joints in the older Taurus, where a clicking sound that increased with speed kept getting louder. Suspecting that it might be the CV joints I just drove tight figure of 8s in an empty parking lot in an attempt to redistibute some grease, and it worked. It got quiet and has remained so for a couple of years. I do this now every few months on both sedans.

That's a neat story 1sttruck. I tried that today on our Sunfire even though the CV joints are not clicking. That might help them last longer. People sure look at you in the Wallmart parking lot though.
Oh ya, I also just bought some Mobil 1 synthetic grease today. Used it on the garage door opener.
Jim
Figure 8ing the CV joints

Which Mobil 1 grease? There are many. I have used the SHC 100 with great luck in an industrial atmosphere (at work) It is the red/maroon stuff. Brian

You can do better than this grease ,in this app, not to start a war, but there are one,s to consider,,Redline makes a choice,, Amsoil general purpose can take a beating for lith, comp. or so can Mystik JT-8 semi syn. if you can clean out the oud grease, Schaeffers makes anumber of greases that will be great,,221 or 229, and of course the 274 all in num. 2

Mobil 1 IS hard to beat. Mystik JT-6 and Chevron Delo are also great. I pay attention to mfg. specs. on all our vehicles and, since most call for EP lith., that's what I use. George Morrison, because of his education, training and experience, is a man worth listening to. He's sold on non-moly for universals and wheel bearings...and my experience with Ford U-Joints in the past (using Moly grease) has convinced me he is right.

quote:

Originally posted by bheinz57:
Which Mobil 1 grease? There are many. I have used the SHC 100 with great luck in an industrial atmosphere (at work) It is the red/maroon stuff. Brian

Actually there isn't. The SHC 100 is a Mobil grease, not Mobil 1 grease. Big difference. Just because its Mobil doesn't mean its Mobil 1.
nono.gif

My 06 Accord has a clicking sound in the wheel somewhere, increases with speed. [censored]? So I need to do some figure 8's to make that stop? Or would my Mobil1 red grease somewhere in there fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back