Mobil1 5w-30, 4049 miles, GMC 5.3L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. This is my UOA for my 2011 Sierra, with 59K on the odometer. One year OCI, w/ 4049 miles on the oil. The high aluminum/iron/copper has me concerned. Any thoughts? Should I change oil brand/type or filter?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 233
Last edited:
Might want to take your personal info off that. I have a 11 Silverado with 60k. Thanks for the uoa.

Last edited:
Has the indicators of significant fuel dilution, which could be causing the high wear numbers. E.g., low viscosity and low flash. And, no, BS doesn't measure fuel dilutuon so you should always ignore BS fuel values. Not sure if your engine is known to have fuel dilution issues . . . sure others will comment along these lines. As PPWarrior said, a way to address this is to try an xw40.

Last edited:
If this truck sees a lot of short trips that are followed by several days of no use, I would recommend changing the oil and filter every 6 months.

I can't speak for the previous owner, but I do not tow anything. 77GP, I do have a short daily commute (6 miles), but it only sits for the weekend if I'm not getting stuff from Home Depot or the landscape store.

Does this engine/truck have that GM cylinder deactivation? If it does and it hasn't been disconnected perhaps that is causing some of these issues, just a thought.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by bigdawg74
77GP, for only six months and roughly 2k miles, would a conventional oil work?

I think you would be fine using a conventional oil and changing it more frequently. A year between changes with that type of driving pattern is too long in my opinion.

And pardon me for being so naive, but what would the bump up to a 5w40 do?

Your viscosity is too low - drop presumably due to fuel dilution. This may be the cause of the increased wear. Going with a 5w40 will give you a higher initial viscosity, and also a higher post-fuel-dilution viscosity. Trying to keep the oil viscosity up in spec range, to reduce undue wear.

Last edited:
Yikes ... well, honestly I would ditch the cost of Mobil 1 for sure and go conventional. Your wear numbers would improve right there, how ever slightly.
Your usage is severe, mileage so low, short tripped.

We have low use cars/truck now. Wife works from home and my company gives me a vehicle. SO our vehicles sit around all week.

I change 2 times a year. April and Nov. Use ANY inexpensive conventional 5w30. I do change the filters because I have so many but you could even skip the filter change and just do that one time a year.

At $13 - 5 quart jug jug for Havoline at Walmart with free 2 day delivery you cant beat it and I feel best for my engines. But even Super Tech in the 5/30 or any other is just fine.

Either that or stick to once a year and use Super Tech Synthetic 5/30 instead of Mobile 1.

So it sounds like two options: either go with a 5w-40 and stick with a one year OCI, or switch to a conventional and start changing twice a year. Pros/cons of each?

So it sounds like two options: either go with a 5w-40 and stick with a one year OCI, or switch to a conventional and start changing twice a year. Pros/cons of each?

My vote is to go with conventional and change it more frequently. Frequent short trips contaminate the oil with fuel and moisture. Switching to 5w40 isn't going to address that issue.

There is not enough data to determine the short trips are the only cause of fuel dilution. When was the last time a fuel system cleaner used if at all?

Originally Posted by dave1251
There is not enough data to determine the short trips are the only cause of fuel dilution. When was the last time a fuel system cleaner used if at all?

Dave, I have not used a fuel system cleaner for this truck. I have, however, tried to use only higher quality gasoline from reputable stations. I suppose using one every now and then wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Dave, I have not used a fuel system cleaner for this truck. I have, however, tried to use only higher quality gasoline from reputable stations. I suppose using one every now and then wouldn't hurt.

It may help its possible you have a leaky injector stranger things have happened. I can only go by my results on a 6 mile trip averaging about 35MPH my oil temp reaches 203F for about 4 minutes in the pan this should help burn a lot of the fuel.

OP - you may want to consider the following. Try a 5w40, along with a fuel system cleaner as suggested above and also using 93 octane gas for one oil change interval (both could help reduce fuel dilutuon). If that doesn't help, then maybe switch to conventional oil and shorten OCI. In other words, try to address the fuel dilution first to see if you can reduce it. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by claluja
OP - you may want to consider the following. Try a 5w40, along with a fuel system cleaner as suggested above and also using 93 octane gas for one oil change interval (both could help reduce fuel dilutuon). If that doesn't help, then maybe switch to conventional oil and shorten OCI. In other words, try to address the fuel dilution first to see if you can reduce it. Just a thought.

I don't see how 93 octane helps here it's a port injected LS engine not DI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back