High Aluminum Content in Oil

Hi all,

Just did my first oil analysis post couple trackdays through Blackstone. They are noting higher than normal aluminum content. However, copper and Iron are normal which makes me believe that bearings are ok. Should I be worried about this? I used Redline 5W-30 and car is a 2003 RSX Type S with 90k miles.
OilAna.jpg

Where would aluminum come from in the engine? pistons? block? Timing chain covers? Cyl heads? Is this the first time using Redline oil? Is this the first UOA and what made you decide to get a UOA curiosity thinking there may be a problem a new noise etc?

Where would aluminum come from in the engine? pistons? block? Timing chain covers? Cyl heads? Is this the first time using Redline oil? Is this the first UOA and what made you decide to get a UOA curiosity thinking there may be a problem a new noise etc?
It most commonly comes from pistons.

Last edited:
Not sure on where exactly it could come from. Second time using redline oil. First ever UOA, and mainly did it since I am getting more serious about tracking my car.

It most commonly comes from pistons.
That is just one source. Being as his Acura has coated pistons maybe less comes from pistons than would otherwise happen, there is at least some chance of the Aluminum coming from the 10 cam bearings, Vtec hardware and timing chain tensioner action do tend to change stress levels on cam bearings.

But 9ppm is nothing to worry about.

Yes, cam bearings are another “good” source of migratory aluminum, although we didn’t have any trouble with them in the motorcycles I dealt with which used machined aluminum for cam bearings / cradles.

Loose cam chains can also make inroads very easily into aluminum castings.

But in my experience, piston scuffing is the most likely source of aluminum in oil, although the coatings do help out some.

You’re taking this car on a track? As in racing it? I’d expect some higher wear from hard driving.

My crystal ball sees some Mobil 1 0W-40 posts coming shortly.

You can draw no conclusions at all from that UOA. Period. Nothing.

Agree 9ppm Al could be LOW for all we/you know. It could be coming down. 9ppm alone is nothing.

I mean it could be from Al based anti-seize.

I assume you changed your oil, just run it out to 4-5K and do another UOA.

Piston skirts most likely

Not sure on where exactly it could come from. Second time using redline oil. First ever UOA, and mainly did it since I am getting more serious about tracking my car.

Go up a grade then, The pistons seem to be tilting enough to have the skirts touch the cylinders. A thicker oil will help prevent this.

Or, another possibility, the aluminum was already there (what oil was used prior?) and is being held in suspension now by the redline. Ester oils can help do this, as should dispersants

First UOA, tracking car, 9ppm of aluminum. For now I'd worry about something else to be honest, and maybe bump up to an XW40 if I was losing sleep.

You didn’t post the blackstone comments. Why? They would have said you need a second UOA to establish a trend. I agree with @Pablo this isn’t a high result. The average says 3ppm and could easily be the oil was contaminated from the onset. Speculate to the moon.

Pistons are aluminum. A reading of 9 is not too bad. I had an engine when an analysis was done would be in the 40's. I never had a problem from it.

There is nothing related to wear metals this one UOA can tell you...need several to start looking at trends for your engine. Single digit AL doesn't seem strange at all. There is no indication or basis for recommending a higher grade oil here or that there are internal issues.

Last edited:
Here is my last UOA post with my trend graph. My timing chain tensioner bolts broke causing the tensioner to rub on the aluminum cover shedding aluminum bits into the oil. You can see my aluminum data. A single UOA would have been meaningless without the trend defining normal background levels. Just an example.

First - That’s a small amount of aluminum.

Next - Aluminum is a catalyst for some additives, so you really need a VOA of this oil to know the starting point for aluminum in this oil. It may not be zero.

You didn’t post the blackstone comments. Why? They would have said you need a second UOA to establish a trend. I agree with @Pablo this isn’t a high result. The average says 3ppm and could easily be the oil was contaminated from the onset. Speculate to the moon.
Accidentally forgot. Here they are:
1704647804517.jpg

9ppm of Aliminum is nothing. Comming from Blackstone, it's within the margin pf error for them. 😉

As for their comments, they're not worth much.

Back