Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30, 3020 miles, Subaru STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my second fill and my second UOA for Mobil 1 Racing (M1R, 0W-30). The first one had a 2500 OCI. This one I carried out to a 3000 OCI. Results are awesome. I wasn't expecting things to look this good considering that I have beat on the car pretty good the past 3000 miles.

I know I am suppose to type in the results. Sorry. I figured it would be better to post the image than to post nothing
wink.gif

This is a street car that is my daily driver. Most trips are short trips with about a 2 mile drive to work and a 2 mile drive home. The car has a APS Turbo-Back Exhaust and custom tuned Engine Management (by me).

-

Tim

I know that this oil isn't good for cats. Zinc and/or Phosphates + Cat = bye bye kitty. However, I have 5500 miles on this oil through an aftermarket cat. I have pictures of the cat before I installed it. I will get pictures of it again after I temporarily remove it (need to do some testing with a test pipe). I don't know if pictures will tell the story or not. But, if we are talking catalytic clogging then it should be somewhat visible.

t

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
You're wasting good oil by changing it so soon. As long as you're doing regular oil analysis, why not try a longer interval?

I didn't know how the M1R would perform in my car. I did a 2500 OCI with a TBN. That led me to believe I could go longer. I went to 3000. Now I think I can go to 3500.

I do things slowly. So, I'll slowly increase my OCI. However, I won't go much above 4K. I drive the car hard and, honestly, my psyche can't get around a higher OCI on a car like this. Also keep in mind that the 2.5L turbocharged boxer motor is very hard on oil. We're not talking about a typical na grandma mobile - rofl.

t

You're wasting good oil by changing it so soon. As long as you're doing regular oil analysis, why not try a longer interval?

Honestly..I doubt that there is any benefit to be gained by using the "Racing Oil". Probably the same viscosity. A little more Supersyn, a little more boron. A lot more Phosphorus which has shown nothing to me in terms of wear, I think its marketing hype and won't do the catalytic converters. Honestly I was going to try it but..no point (for me)

Looks good to me, I'd try a 4,000 mile OCI next time. BTW, I'm shooting for a 5,000 mile OCI on my STi this time with the German Castrol. I'll have a UOA done with a TBN to see how it held up.
cheers.gif

Your oil change interval should be more than double than your are currently running it. The M1Racing looks a lot like Mobil 1 EP except it has less zinc and phosphorus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back