Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dantheman
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Stick with what is and has worked well for you. I see no reason to change brands. Some of us BITOGs think it is not wise to switch brands late in a motors life unless for a particular reason.

I love these old wife's tale's . I have changed brands according to whatever was on sale for about the last 35 years . Changed over from conventional to Synthetic with over 75k on two different vehicles . [censored] , I even use FRAM filters . Have NEVER had an oil related failure of any kind . You guys crack me up .

WELL!! I never....... :D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Stick with what is and has worked well for you. I see no reason to change brands. Some of us BITOGs think it is not wise to switch brands late in a motors life unless for a particular reason.

I love these old wife's tale's . I have changed brands according to whatever was on sale for about the last 35 years . Changed over from conventional to Synthetic with over 75k on two different vehicles . [censored] , I even use FRAM filters . Have NEVER had an oil related failure of any kind . You guys crack me up .

You haven't ? Well then , it's time to live a little .
banana2.gif

Fram is not bad, it's just not the best for the money.

I would rather have a Purolator any day.

Of course, a simple oil filter isn't a high tech piece of engineering.

On the PP vs. M1 debate, I like PP.

I do like the new 0W-30 M1 that is out right now.

It's giving me an extra mpg over the YB 5W-30 Pennz I was using in my wife's van.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

You haven't ? Well then , it's time to live a little .
banana2.gif

Hahahaha,yeah I know.

PP is on sale at Autozone right now if you get a K&N filter too.

5QT and the filter for $29.99

I don't know when the sale ends. I was looking for M1, but the allocation has really made it hard for me to get the 5QT jug from Wal-Mart, that is the only way I can afford the synthetics, it is $26, and AZ had the M1 in a case of 6-1QT bottles for like $45, I definitely can't afford that, not for the two cars I'm trying to get their late oil changes on anyways.

So I bought two deals today, for the 5-1QT bottles of PP 5W-20 (there is another brand too) and a K&N filter (HP-1002, HP-2004), at $29.99. I probably ended up getting the filters free, at least to me compared to buying a jug at WM for 26 and buying the filters separately, so that's definitely a savings if not really spending much more on the oil anyways.

I did about the same as you the1who. I bought a 5 qt. container of PP for $23.00 at Walmart and I got a Bosch filter at Autozone for a little over $5.00. I never cared much for the K&N filters.

In the 5 qt. container PP at Walmart usually is not too bad in price. I personally don't care for that 5 qt. bottle, however. It is easy to carry with the handle on top and the handle on the side but it seems to spill when you try to pour the oil.

My best guess is that PP is just as good as Mobil 1. And cheaper also. In UOAs at this website it seems for whatever reason that the M1 tends to have high iron and the PP usually produces really good results unless a person has other problems like antifreeze leaking into the oil.

My best guess (we will probably never really know)is that both PP and M1 are Group III oils to a considerably extent with some PAO added maybe.

I am going to use 5W30 PP all year except when I do an Auto-RX cleaning. I like to do Auto-RX cleanings in the summertime every 25,000 miles. Then I will use either Pennzoil regular or Valvoline for the cleaning and rinse.

Mystic, Try and turn the jug over the other way when you pour, Like the opposite of what you would normally pour out of it.

I still like Mobil1, and believe that it's mostly a Group IV PAO. But, yesterday I put in Platinum 5W-30. The reason being is that I could find it while Mobil1 was hit or miss, have always like Pennzoil and fell for their "46% more cleaning" line, and it was on sale at PepBoys...

Last edited:
I still think M1 is an excellent oil, I used it for years and have tore down a couple M1 engines that still showed perfect cylinder cross-hatching and zero visible main or rod bearing wear at well over 100,000 miles.

I'll be posting an "under the cam cover pic" of a 130,000 mile 4.6 soon that lived on M1, and did a few 15K OCIs. It's essentially spotless, as clean as you would expect a 5,000 mile engine to be.

I'm interested to see if PP keeps an engine as clean as M1.

I had always had the fear of using Pennzoil because one of my good friends I used to work with, he tore down old engines. He showed me a car that only had used Pennzoil and the sludge build up on the valve covers. And then he showed me another engine about the same life that used a different oil and it was real clean except possible varnishing, if I may use that term.

I haven't used the PP line until now, I figured that it isn't the conventional oil, it should hopefully be better. That's my thought anyways.

I got my car in February 2006, it had 19K miles, I switched as soon as I could in March to M1. I have used M1 since then until my posting yesterday because of the scarcity of M1 on the shelves. I am at 68K+ miles now, and I had taken the filter to my work where we have oil filter cutters. I use the Filter-Mag as well, we opened it up, it was clean except for tiny particles where the magnet used to be. Most of my miles were freeway as I traveled to and from school. I was pretty impressed with how clean the filter looked for my driving I do, I can be hard on my car at times, especially accelerating on the freeway. I just hope that the Pennzoil helps out just as well.

My co-worker at work now, had told me of a lawsuit against M1 from the aviation community. I don't know all the details, but at one time M1 had promoted itself for use. I guess it wouldn't suspend dirt as good as say conventional 30W but I am not sure of that. Like I said, I don't know all the details, but there is a class action suit that was filed, it's on record, I'll look into it further, but M1 didn't do good for aviation engines.

See, unlike cars, airplane engines run harder than car engines do. Most of the time, the engine is running at 75% power, where as a car engine is running at probably 25-50% for highway driving. Unlike a plane engine with the propeller is consistently turning to keep that plane in the air, cars drop engine RPM for fuel economy and pollution laws. So my friend said that it is rare for synthetic engine oils to be used where the main oil used is 30-40W. Turbine engines do use synthetic oils though, don't get me wrong that they aren't used in the industry. Just the fact though that the general aviation community doesn't use them is what I am trying to express.

If someone knows more on that subject of the class action lawsuit or finds it before I do, that'd be interesting to know more. I have always wanted to research it since he told me, but I just didn't have the time, and well, now it's the holidays with some extra time off, I'll do my best.

It is stunning for me that a big corporation like Exxon/Mobil (or probably just Mobil then before the merger) could make such bad mistakes about a motor oil used in aviation. Everybody probably just assumed that the Mobil product was superior to any conventional oil or to the Aero-Shell products.

Everything in aviation is critical because people's lives could definitely be in danger.

I guess for people in aviation the lession is when something new comes out wait until it is proven. And just because a big company makes something does not mean it is superior.

With the amount of money those aviators spend you'd think periodic UOAs would've been money in the bank
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'll be posting an "under the cam cover pic" of a 130,000 mile 4.6 soon that lived on M1, and did a few 15K OCIs. It's essentially spotless, as clean as you would expect a 5,000 mile engine to be.

The Ford 4.6 tends to be very clean under the cam covers no matter what oil is used, as long as it's quality oil.

Originally Posted By: webfors
With the amount of money those aviators spend you'd think periodic UOAs would've been money in the bank
21.gif

As a pilot and someone who used to own a Airplane, most of us DO UOAs. The problem is the damage is done quickly. Once the damage is done, you are out thousands... (don't ask me how I know...)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back